February 2013 Moms
Options

Low-lying placenta?

Sorry for two posts in like a five-minute span...

Has anyone else been told they had a low-lying placenta?  If so, were you told to refrain from sex?  Did you listen? :)

Any details/advice/stories from past pregnancies would be great... 

PCOS 
Off bcp March 2011 
Aug 2011-Feb 2012 tried to regulate cycles w/ Metformin -- no luck 
April 2012: Clomid (50mg) + Injects + TI = BFN
May 2012: Clomid (100mg) + Injects + TI = BFP on 6/8/12   

Lilypie - (74ba)

Re: Low-lying placenta?

• Options
    I also have a lowlying placenta. Because I have not had an bleeding issues, I was not put on pelvic rest or told to do anything special. My MW said they would do another u/s at about 32 weeks to make sure it had moved, but seemed pretty confident that it would. Have they given you the balloon analogy?
  • Options
    I have one right now. I have had bleeding and its actually on my cervix so they want me on pelvic rest until 28 weeks when they do an ultrasound to see if it moves. They don't want to risk me dilating with my placenta on my cervix, so I'll be listening.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I was told that mine was low, but wasn't given any special restrictions. The tech told me the same thing as the pp (that it would most likely resolve itself and not to worry.) I'm having another ultrasound at 28 weeks just to make sure it's moved up...

Lilypie Second Birthday tickersimage

Lilypie Maternity tickers image
  • Options
    Mine is low too, but no special instructions yet. I will have another scan at 28 weeks and then again a 30/32 if needed.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    I have one too. I had some VERY light spotting around 16 weeks and they had me come in for an u/s which is when they discovered it.  I was on pelvic rest for 2 weeks. At my a/s (one day shy of 20 wks) it hadn't moved. They didn't expect it to in that short of a time though, just about 3.5 weeks. So I'll have another u/s somewhere between 28 and 32 weeks.  I'm not worried about it. I think the vast majority of low-lying ones move up! :)

• Options
    I have one and it was diagnosed as marginal placenta previa.  I was put on pelvic rest and told only light walking for exercise.  They will recheck at 28 weeks.  My last child was preterm and we don't exactly know the reason so my OB is being cautious this go around and I'm fine with that.
    Samuel  2.26.06 41w ASD/ADHD
    Eli  6.18.09 35.5w
    Silas  1.25.13 35.4w 10 days NICU, allergies/asthma, gluten intolerant

• Options

So I had my 20 week u/s yesterday and my OB appt today.  He said he was not really concerned as my placenta was not too too low (2 inches from cervix?  does that make sense?  its hard to remember now!) and that he is pretty sure that it would fix itself but to get another u/s at 30 or 32 weeks.  Then he was like, "don't have sex until then bc you don't want to experience bleeding."  I told him that I haven't noticed any bleeding thus far and he kind of was like, "Yeah I'm sure you haven't" (like in a, I'm just being overly-cautious I'm sure nothing is wrong-type way).

SO, that being said, I should have confirmed if he is just SUGGESTING no sex just in case, or if it's really imperative to refrain.  But I didn't...so I'm asking you guys what your experiences were/are (I know I can call the office to clarify as well!) :)

Also, in response to the person above...I did not hear the balloon analogy...do tell! 

PCOS 
    Off bcp March 2011 
    Aug 2011-Feb 2012 tried to regulate cycles w/ Metformin -- no luck 
    April 2012: Clomid (50mg) + Injects + TI = BFN
    May 2012: Clomid (100mg) + Injects + TI = BFP on 6/8/12   

Lilypie - (74ba)
  • Options

My placenta is 1 cm away from my cervix - I was diagnosed at 20 weeks, and was told to refrain from sex, lot's of walking, any strenuous activity until 32 weeks, when they will do another sonogram to see if it has moved.She said if i saw any bleeding, even light spotting to call her right away.  The whole no sex things SUCKS, but we don't want to risk causing me to bleed.

Call & make sure, but most likely you'll have to refrain from sex.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I just got told I had a low lying placenta on Monday but she really didn't say anything. She just said not to worry it's just something they like to keep an eye on and normally it moves up but they will check it again at around 30 weeks. I guess if it doesn't move up then there's a chance of having to get a C section. But she didn't say anything about not having sex or anything.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options

I had some substantial bleeding around 14 weeks and had an u/s to check on the baby. The OB said I had a low lying placenta and that it may have been covering the cervix previously, which would have caused the bleeding. He put me on pelvic rest, including no sex, for a week. I listened for the most part- no sex but I did pick up my son occasionally during that time. DH was so upset about the miscarriage scare that he didn't want to have sex for a few weeks! 

My OB hasn't called about my a/s, so I'm assuming no news is good news and the placenta has already shifted far enough away from my cervix.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I had it with DS right aroudn this time (no complications, but they saw it on the ultrasound). There weren't any restrictions for me. They just checked it again the next time (another ultrasound) I came in, and it had fixed itself. They said that happens most of the time... that it's like a balloon with a dot on it... as you blow up the balloon, the dot often moves up. That's what mine did. Check with your doctor, but it's totally not uncommon, and hopefully yours will fix itself too!!!
  • Options
    I have a complete placenta previa, and it's anterior, so I've actually been put on pelvic rest and no lifting more than 10lbs, which for my job means no working at all. Definitely listen to what they say, any bleeding can not only be dangerous to the baby, but also to you. This is our first pregnancy and it took us four years to get pregnant, so it definitely isn't worth the risk. We're supposed to do another ultrasound at 24 weeks to see if the placenta is moving up.  
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    imageMrsTwiddy:

I was told that mine was low, but wasn't given any special restrictions. The tech told me the same thing as the pp (that it would most likely resolve itself and not to worry.) I'm having another ultrasound at 28 weeks just to make sure it's moved up...

Exactly this for me too. 

BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"