Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

what do you do with LO's dirty diapers

We use a diaper genie and it is not masking the smell anymore.  What do you do with you LO's dirty diapers? 

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: what do you do with LO's dirty diapers

• I got the Diaper Champ since you can use your own bags. It absorbed the smell and I can't make it stop smelling.

This week I started just putting them in a plastic grocery bag, then taking the bag out to the trash at the end of the day (or whenever he does a really stinky one).

We'll see how long that lasts.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• One of two things:

A.) I have a garabage can outside the sliding door for the stinky ones

B.) I buy those individual sacks at the dollar store before putting them in the diaper genie, if they don't have the baby ones, I use the ones for my dog

• Loading the player...
  • I use the Diaper genie.  But I use fabeeze's bags instead of the genie bags. It work really well!!  No smell and I just change them once a week. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We still use our diaper champ for all dipes (pee and poo). Take it out once a week. When you open it, it lets some stink out but when it's closed I can't smell a thing. We use odor shield garbage bags in it and Lysol it regularly too.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
    Logan 10/20/2010 ~ Addison 8/26/2014
  • Poop diapers go in the outside trash can. Diapers with only pee go in the Diaper Genie.
    BFP #1 6/21/08 natural m/c 7/4/08 BFP #2 10/3/08 blighted ovum discovered 11/5/08 D&C 11/13/08 dx with hetero MTHFR 1/7/09 BFP #3 7/1/09 DS born 3/7/10 BFP #4 1/27/10 DD born 9/4/11 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We have the Munchkin Arm & Hammer diaper pail, and love it.  It seals each bag and has baking soda to help with odor.  The bags aren't too expensive but you do have to use their brand, I think.  I never smell a thing once the diaper is in there.
  • imagedor79:

B.) I buy those individual sacks at the dollar store before putting them in the diaper genie, if they don't have the baby ones, I use the ones for my dog

This, if they're really smelly. 

• If I'm about to take out the trash than I just throw them in the trash and take it out. If I'm not than I bag it up and throw it in the kitchen trash. I take it out nightly. 
  • poop diapers get put into the little blue scented bags (I think the brand I have is Sassy) then go into the diaper genie. We empty the diaper genie about every 4 or 5 days (or whenever it gets too ripe).

Occasionally I'll put baking soda in the bag too. 

• imageLalaMama81:

imagetas1883:
    I dump the poop down the toilet and then put the diaper rolled up into the trash can.  I take diapers out maybe once a week.  I did it more when it was really warm but no major smell. 

If you dump the poop it won't be nearly as bad. You aren't supposed to throw feces away anyway.

I cloth diaper and dump the poop. I keep a pail of diapers, no bag, for up to 3 days and it never smells. Most of those diaper genie type deals say you can not empty for a week, but most of them stink when you do that.  

We dump poop in the toilet and put the disposable in the trash. We take out the downstairs trash every day. Upstairs I have a diaper champ and clear that out 2x a week (can use regular trash bags).

I may start to cloth diaper DS again since he hates the disposable diapers, but he currently uses baby dry pampers and DD uses pull ups for nap and night.  

• imageCrash Into Me:
    We have always thrown them in the kitchen trash.nbsp; If the diaper is particularly smelly, it goes into a plastic grocery bag and then out to the outdoor trashcan.

This exactly!
  • Arm and Hammer Diaper pail.... Never smell a thing once theyre closed up in there.

Cat leg goes crazy and beats itself in the face

image  image
  • imageladybugpjb:

This week I started just putting them in a plastic grocery bag, then taking the bag out to the trash at the end of the day (or whenever he does a really stinky one).

This. We've been doing this for months. No #2 diapers stay inside our home anymore.

• I've always just used my kitchen garbage pail (stainless steel with step-lid) and have never once had a problem with smell. Diaper genies and the like creep me out.
    imagePregnancy Ticker
  • Take it outside to the garbage in a plastic bag everytime. I actually cringe at the thought of diaper genie's and keeping it inside.  Gross! 
  • imagesugarbear0524:
    We have the Munchkin Arm & Hammer diaper pail, and love it.  It seals each bag and has baking soda to help with odor.  The bags aren't too expensive but you do have to use their brand, I think.  I never smell a thing once the diaper is in there.

We also have this one, and it really does contain the smell.  BUT...I made the mistake once of trying to use a regular trash bag and the smell was HORRIBLE.  You have to use their brand of bags meant for the trash can.

That one is upstairs, when we're downstairs, we just toss it in the kitchen trash can.  If the diaper is super smelly, we bag it in a plastic supermarket bag first and then throw it in the can. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • I have a diaper genie that I've used with both of my girls and have never had an issue with smell.  Sure, when it's ready to be changed and you put a diaper in there, it lets some stink out.  But we try to put the real stinky ones in a grocery bag and in the garage garbage, though. But I have to say I love the diaper genie.  It has served us well!
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Pee Diapers go in the Diaper Genie which is emptied about 2x a week.

Poop Diapers go into a plastic bag and straight out to the outside trashcan. DD actually LOVES to help do this - she carries the bag out and drops it into the can. Then we come in and wash our hands (which she also LOVES to do).  Makes the whole experience less painful and the house less stinky.

• We use the diaper genie and don't really have any issues with it.  I will say however dropped one of those odor absorbers by citrus magic in the bottom a couple of months ago.  That probably helps a lot.
                                                     imageimage
                                        Lilypie - (JNST)image
                                         Lilypie - (aqIx)
  • I put one of those baking soda boxes that are supposed to go in the fridge at the bottom of mine, that helps with the stink. I also change it like once a week on trash day or if it is particulary stinky.
  • Yeah, we had diaper champs and we noticed that they weren't working either.  Now we take diapers straight out to the garbage can outside.  Since I watch kids during the day, this can be hard to do.  I would spend half the day running outside.  So I take an old grocery back and put the diapers in there.  Then I run it outside 1-2 times a day.  Stinky diapers go straight out, but I don't mind pee diapers staying in the house for a up to a few hours.  They don't seem to smell.  Our house smells so much cleaner since we got rid of our 3 diaper pails (1 in each kid's bedroom and one downstairs for the daycare).  I've heard that (this sounds gross) the best way to throw away diapers is unbagged.  If you bag them, they can't biodegrade, but if you just toss them in the dumpster without a bag, they are 50% biodegradable I think.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagetas1883:
    I dump the poop down the toilet and then put the diaper rolled up into the trash can.  I take diapers out maybe once a week.  I did it more when it was really warm but no major smell. 

This is exactly what I doYes

• This started happening when LO was a few months old.  We put an extra kitchen garbage in his room & change the liner every time he poops, which is normally once a day.  The liner costs about 8 cents a day-we buy the garbage bags in bulk from costco.  It's sooo much cheaper than the d. genie.  & you needn't change it every poop but i do b/c i never know when i'm having the sitter over so it keeps my in a good habit.

• We flush the poop. Gross if it splashes, but a lot less stinky.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"