Babies: 6 - 9 Months

Which baby food do you buy?

I cannot make baby food...end of story.  SO I am in the market to purchase some and have been looking at the Earth's Best jars.  Anyone use these?  What are other brands you like?  Do you prefer jar to the pouches?

Re: Which baby food do you buy?

• I make most of our baby food, but I do keep jars of Earth's Best on hand.  I know Gerber has a line of organic baby food, but I don't know much about it. You can get coupons for Earth's Best online too.
    Mom to Emma, Noah, Isaac, Asa, Asher, Jonah and expecting baby Alice 7/16

• I'm with you on the making of baby food. I want to be that mom, but I've accepted that I'm just not!

We have bought Earth's Best and DS seems to like it so far (we just started). I do find their bottles a little difficult to close, though. Maybe that's just me.  What I did notice is their "first" foods are a somewhat limited - I couldn't find first squash or first green beans so I had to get Gerber for those.  Don't know if DS will like Gerbers but we're trying the squash tonight.  I do like their little plastic tubs, but that wouldn't make me continue to buy them.  I'll probably end up getting a mix of brands depending on what DS ultimately likes.  I've also heard raves about the "Plum" brand (I think that's what it's called).  I believe that brand comes in pouches.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • We do gerber jars, yogurt melts, and lil crunchies. I love Plum Organics puffs.
  • Earth's Best. I buy jars. She hates Gerber (regular and organic).
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • We do Gerber regular and organic. I think my chunky monkey would eat anything but Gerber is his favorite.
  • since we just started LO on baby foods, I got a bunch of different ones....Gerber, Ella's, Beechnut. DS seems to have enjoyed it all.
  • imageHilarityEnsued:

imageemnoahmom:
    You can get coupons for Earth's Best online too.

Where might one fiind these?

Our local supermarkets which are Wegmans and Tops have printable coupons online and often have this brand. It may be that they are affiliated with them. We just use our card #. I haven't looked into their website though. I am looking now.

• I too make my baby food, but keep a couple of Earth's Best jarred food for emergencies.  The ingredients are simple.  Sweet potatoes & water, squash & water, etc...Gerber's, even the organic line has too many 'other' things in it that I just prefer to stay away from.  Target has sales sometimes on Earth's Best too.
    Mayfaerie Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image image image
  • I've used just about every brand, and will go with whatever I "feel" in the moment, or maybe what's on sale.  I like EB because they seem to have a bigger variety than Gerber.  The pouches are pretty neat too, and typically I like Ella's brand, again because of the variety.  Again, I've used it all and there's a variety of food and brands in my cabinet...as well as "container" type.  The pouches are really good for on the go.

• Just out of curiosity, am I allowed to ask the average price per jar of Earth's Best?  I posted the question on FB yesterday, but it did not occur to me to ask here.  I can't find inidiviual jars at my local market, so I have been buying the 12 packs at the baby store and am not sure if I could find a better deal elsewhere.
  • We use Gerber for stage 2's but when it comes to the 3's Beechnut is actually quite a little lower on the sodium level and cheaper than Gerber so we try to do Beechnut as much as possible..
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I like the pouches, esp Ella's and Plum Organics, because you can pour directly onto the spoon.  When she's done, I just put the cap on and place in the fridge.  No guessing how much she's going to eat, so no waste. 

I also like Earth's Best, and so does LO.  So for dinner we do a jar of EB, then because she's still hungry I open a pouch and let her eat until she's full, which is usually about 1/2 to 3/4 of a pouch. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I make most of Katherine's food but for some things where I did not want to mess around with stuff (like prunes peas or mango) or when I had to travel and couldn't bring my own I bought pouches or jars.

I bought different kinds (Ella's, Plum, regular Gerber, Earth's Best) and out of all those she hated Earth's Best the most. She cringed at every bite and did not want to finish. I tried them and they tasted soooo sour... I think they add more ascorbic acid than others. I know she may have developed a preference for home made but this was just more than fussing. Now Ella's a Gerber she ate no problem. She really liked Gerber's mac'n'cheese and prunes.

• imageJMD1121:
    Just out of curiosity, am I allowed to ask the average price per jar of Earth's Best?  I posted the question on FB yesterday, but it did not occur to me to ask here.  I can't find individual jars at my local market, so I have been buying the 12 packs at the baby store and am not sure if I could find a better deal elsewhere.

I think it averages about 1.00 a jar, which without coupons is crazy imo. Like I said, I make a lot of my own, so buying a few jars isn't that big a deal to keep around. I looked online and you can buy in bulk from places like diapers.com, which I love and trust, and you can get discounts when you sign up. So,if your baby likes a particular kind, you can stock up and shipping is fast.

What I do though, is schedule 1 hr a week that is devoted to making baby food. I do it after kids have gone to bed and I put on a podcast and cook. It saves a ton of money and I know what I am giving my baby. It's not the greatest use "me" time, but I kind of really like it. I think if it becomes part of your routine, it's easy to do.

Also, people shouldn't feel bad buying Gerber either. It was the best available when my oldest were little and I consider myself a good mom. I actually want to start saying that in everything I respond to. We are looking for advice because we care...Mom's, we are doing good!!!

• Thanks, emnoahmom!  I am paying about $1 per jar, and it kills me just a little bit.  I make most of my baby's food.  Once he "graduated" to meats though, I started buying jarred for the meat and meat combos.  I'll start looking into coupons!

• I make a lot but when I do buy I get Plum or Happy Baby pouches. Full Circle Organic in jars.

• We buy Earth's Best and Gerber, regular and organic.

My only concern with EB is the 'trace' amount of bpa in the lid, and the fact that last year, there was an uproar about tiny pieces of plastic being found in EB jars. Supposedly, there was never a recall and EB kept selling them (they probably didn't know which jars were contaminated). I just watch the bites that I serve DS. Feeding my baby plastic negates the organic content, IMO.

We pay .84 a jar at target.

Lachlan
    born March 2012
  • imageJMD1121:
    Just out of curiosity, am I allowed to ask the average price per jar of Earth's Best?  I posted the question on FB yesterday, but it did not occur to me to ask here.  I can't find inidiviual jars at my local market, so I have been buying the 12 packs at the baby store and am not sure if I could find a better deal elsewhere.

I bought a bunch from Amazon when they were having a great subscribe and save sale.  I got 12-packs for as low as $4.86, but most were in the $6-$7 range.  For example, right now they have a 12-pack of squash for $7.07, which is only $.59/jar. It's nice to have it delivered to your door for such a low price, and you can just cancel the subscription once it ships.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002DZIJYE/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i00

10/10: Married; 5/11: Dx: Blocked Fallopian Tube; 7/11: D&C/Hysteroscopy to remove polyp
    IVF #1: 9/11: ER: 12R, 11M, 10F, No Frosties; 5dt: 2 blasts, 1 morula; DD born 6/3/12
    IVF #2: 11/12-12/12: ER: 20R, 20M, 16F, 4 Frosties; 5dt: 3 blasts, DS born 8/9/13
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageemnoahmom:
    imageHilarityEnsued:

imageemnoahmom:
    You can get coupons for Earth's Best online too.

Where might one fiind these?

Our local supermarkets which are Wegmans and Tops have printable coupons online and often have this brand. It may be that they are affiliated with them. We just use our card #. I haven't looked into their website though. I am looking now.

Do you happen to live in the Rochester Area?!? I just saw the Wegmans post!! We are from Rochester!

BabyName Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Right now I make most of it, but I'm sure there will come a time when I won't make all of it (mixing stuff, etc).  When that time comes I'll have some Plum pouches (and will look at other brands).  I just want the ones where the only ingredients are the fruit/vegetable and water.  That's all that's in what I make him.

Our Journey to Brenden

IVF #1: 4/11(Follistim/Menopur/Ganirelix) 10 retrieved/8 mature and all 8 fertilized / 2 embies transferred ... nothing to freeze Beta 5/10 = BFN

IVF Take 2 Long Lupron July 2011

ER 7/3/11 (our 6th anniversary) - 8 retrieved/7 mature/fert ....ET 7/6/11 - 2 beautiful grade A 8 cell embryos

Beta 7/18/11 - 149!!! Beta 7/21/11 - 311 Beta 7/28/11 - 2,000 8/5/11 - Empty Sac 8/8/11 - There's a yolk sac and maybe a heartbeat 8/12/11 - Fetal pole, yolk sac, heartbeat 8/18/11 - Baby looks GREAT!
    3 babies waiting on ice

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• Regular Gerber seconds.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"