Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Was anyone here not a baby person originally?

I've never been a "baby" person and I'm just worried I won't be able to have that bond when it's born...anyway I'm just scared I won't be very good with a baby. ?My DH is so excited and into it and I don't want to let him down by not being as excited...I think he might bond with it more than I will...anyone else feel like this before you had yours? ?Did it change?

Re: Was anyone here not a baby person originally?

• MY dh was in no way a baby person and now he can't get enough. Just because you don't like other peoples kids means nothing when it comes to you and your own child.  Don't worry if you don't bond overnight.  That happens to "baby people" too...you have an entire lifetime to connect.  Try not to let it stress you out...once your baby is here, you will have all the time in the world to get to know each other.
  • Loading the player...
  • me!!! not that i didnt think they were cute, but i was never that "into it"....im totally changed, now atleast towards dd....shes totally shattered my heart!
  • My pregnancy was not planned. I did not plan on having children for a few more years, if ever. I also was never really crazy about most people's children. I was scared throughout my pregnancy (especially the night before my induction) that I would not have a good bond with my baby and that I may not be a good mother because of those feelings.

DS is here now and I love him so much that it hurts me. The instant he was born, I just remember thinking that I would literally die for him. Also, I now feel differantly towards other mothers and their children now that I have one of my own.

I think that these feelings you are having are no indication of how you will feel once your DC is born.

• You sound exactly like me - DH & all!!  Our pregnancy was not planned, in fact we had decided not to have kids.  But as soon as it happened, DH was into it whereas I took quite awhile & was very anxious about - well, everything!

When DD was born, the bond was not instant (I was in a dazed fog for awhile after the birth) but it sure has developed fast.... and more & more everyday.  Now I can't imagine life without her & I love her so completely its crazy.

Just keep an open mind & things will develop naturally.  Best of luck, I am sure it will all work outSmile

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Thanks so much for the feedback...I've been feeling pretty sick to my stomach about it, so this helps a lot.
  • I'm still not a "baby person." I think MY baby is the greatest thing alive, but I have no desire to hold or coo over YOUR baby.  I do not think all babies are cute or precious or wonderful.  Mine is, and that's all that matters.  I had no fear about bonding, though.  I felt bonded to her when I was pregnant, and then that bond went up like 10,000% when the OB placed her on my belly after she was born.  I was instantly hooked on my baby.
  • yup, i was never a baby person. In my early 20's i swore up and down that i would never have a baby....but then i started working with kids that have autism and well my mind completely changed regarding kids. I couldn't wait to be a mommy!

Having my DD i notice that little by little my love for her has grown...i can't imagine not being with her. This new strong bond only developed about 2 months ago, so don't worry, it will come...(you just begin to realize how lucky you are to have this little being.Its an awesome feeling)

But yeah, you are not alone! :)

• I never was a baby person.  The minute DS was placed on my chest after labor, the bond was instant.  Don't worry...you'll fall in love.
  • I was not a baby person and DH, frankly, was terrified of babies.  I was never really worried about bonding, but more worried that I wouldn't know what to do.   

You should see me now, girl! I'm a total baby-a-holic. I just seem to know all the right moves. haha And DH is good w/DD, but sometimes isn't sure how to soothe her. But he is getting better.

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Honestly, it took me to about their third week of life before I really bonded with my girls. The first two weeks they spent in the NICU and I didn't really feel like they were MY babies since the nurses pretty much dictated everything. Then, when I got them home I was by myself the whole time why DH was at work and I was too scared/freaked out to enjoy it. Once I got the hang of two newborns, I've totally enjoyed it and love them so much.
  • Me.  I was never a kids person.  I thought they were cute and all, but never really wanted to play with them or anything.  It totally changed after the baby.  It did take some time though...maybe a week or two.  I just didn't know what to do with him.  I swore I wouldn't be the mom who speaks to her kids in that high pitched voice....and I totally am now!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicLilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Immediately after giving birth, my baby was taken away to be put under an oxygen tent thing b/c the cord was wrapped around his neck twice. I was beside himself wanting him. I bothered DH to death b/c I was crying and begging to hold him and be with the baby. For the first month or so I felt a slight detachment about my baby, but NOW I can't get enough. I am completely in love with him. Oh and I usually don't care for other's babies especially if they're snotty or screaming especially loud. But guess what? you won't be annoyed (mostly) by the screaming when the baby is yours. You just gotta take care of the little guy/girl.

Good luck!

• I was a baby person and still found it tougher than I thought to bond with DD. The first couple of weeks were really tough, but my lover for her grows every day. So, don't be too hard on yourself if it takes time. Trust me, you will bond, especially when the smiles start:)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"