July 2012 Moms
Options

WTF am i supposed to do?

I have a bacterial infection "down there" and am getting mixed info a about the meds I was prescribed. (metronidazole) I told my primary doc that I breastfeed and she said she'd find a safe medication. Then when she sent in the rx she told me the manufacturer says it's "probably safe". So I email my OB office to make sure and a nurse emails me back and assures me that this medicine does NOT pass through to breastmilk because it's not absorbed in the bloodstream. So I think ,ok perfect, its safe! So I use it last night, and for some reason decide to read the package insert today, which says in big bold letters that it DOES go through to  the breastmilk and you should check with your doc before using. Ugh! So WWYD? The infection got pretty bad, i dont wanna go all weekend without it but i think i should for the safety of my baby. Although the doc prescribed it and the OB office said it was safe... I hate this! I have to somehow get rid of this infection :( I
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: WTF am i supposed to do?

• Options
    most medications have that warning. i honestly would trust both your doctors. You need those meds.

• Options

I agree with PP. I was given meds during pregnancy and after, that had the warning about breastfeeding, but was told that the pros outweigh the risks...... I think that most have to put that warning just to cover all bases.

Trust your doctors and I hope you start to feel better! <3

image image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thanks ladies! The package insert said something about causing tumors in rats so that freaked me out. But those studies dont always transfer to humans. Hibiscus, thanks for the link! I do feel better now but I'm still pretty mad that the nurse gave me misinformation even if it IS safe anyway.
  • Options

imagestephaniefine:
    Do you have a freezer stash? Maybe use that until Monday and just pump and dump til you talk to your doc

Nope, I have a very limited freezer stash cuz I'm not away from LO too much and I hate pumping :(

• Options

I wouldn't be concerned...although it does pass through the bloodstream, the part in the PI you are referring to was from a study in rats who were given 33 times the amount of drug that is considered safe in clinical practice with humans (and only then showed risk of liver tumors in males to be significantly increased). The other studies that showed effects in females were long-term dosing, and you should only be on the drug for a relatively short time to get rid of the infection, right?

The tumorgenicity studies that the breastfeeding section is referring to were both negative, but since there is the POTENTIAL to cause these effects at higher dosing they put this in there. I would be more concerned if it had a more dangerous pregnancy/lactation category rating or had a boxed warning about use with breastfeeding...

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I am/was in the same boat, they prescribed me an antibiotic for an infection but the MD and Nurse all said...DO NOT NURSE....I did more research (Dr. Hale and Infantrisk.com) and found out that it was safe for the short duration I would be on the meds (10 days)  that it was only contraindicated for long term use, 3+ weeks.  My pedi said I could nurse as well.  Given all that, I still decided to pump and dump for the course of the med and use formula for 10 days.  Stinks, but if my baby could have inhibited bone growth if I was on it for 3 weeks, I didn't want to risk it with ten days.  So....here I sit, pumping and dumping my precious BM:(  Good luck with whatever you decide to do, I definately feel your frustration with the mixed information.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    The LactMed database will give you the lactation risk rating
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    What just happened in my diaper?!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I was put on an antibiotic for  bacterial bronchitis and the meds were labeled as "probably safe" for breastfeeding. The worst thing that would happen is the baby would get some diarrhea. It wouldn't do any serious harm to the baby so I took them and it was just fine!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"