October 2012 Moms

How long does it take for cervix to thin out?

I'm a STM who should know the answer to this question, but here I am anyway. My OB said I am dilating, but my cervix is still thick, so in all likelihood, I still have "time" before I give birth. I'm wondering if thinning the cervix is something that can happen overnight, or is something that happens over a longer period of time, like 2-4 weeks.

I'm not in a rush for LO to arrive or anything -- so this is not a "I want him out NOW!" post -- more out of curiosity.

TIA.

Re: How long does it take for cervix to thin out?

• I'm a FTM with no clue... but I just wanted to say that your little girl is ADORABLE!!! i love your siggy pic!!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • You can thin out quickly if you get into a regular labor pattern. With my 1st I thinned out first then dilated, this time I'm dilating but still "thick". Either way you go it could be hours, days or weeks.

• Loading the player...
  • I really think it varies from person to person. However, effacement is usually a better indicator of impeding labor than dilation.

I know at this stage everyone would love to know how much longer. It is too bad it is not so black & white.

• With DD1 at 37 weeks I was 75% effaced and 1cm dilated.   My water broke at 39 weeks and 5 days and after a full day of labor I ended up not dilating past 3cm even though I was fully effaced.  I think it's one of those things that nobody really knows - it could be an indicator or it could not be one. 

• I had asked the same question at my visit a couple of weeks ago. I was told by my doctor that for FTM you usually efface 100% before you start dilating. As a STM, you could start dilating without effacing much. So I guess if you're a second time mom it's a crap shoot. I've been sitting at 50% and 2 cm and I keep being told that as a second time mom that's pretty common. You have an adorable daughter. Good luck!
    TTC #1 since 05/09
    Me: Oligomenorrhea (workup for PCOS turned out to be negative)
    DH: 1st SA 11/09: good volume but only 20% normal

Cycle #1: Clomid 50mg=No O
    1/10 2nd SA (this time at the fertility clinic): PERFECT!!!
    1/10 My Tests: HSG All clear! B/W is normal!
    2/10 Started Acupuncture

Cycle #2: 100 mg Clomid CD4-CD8 trigger TI Progesterone=BFN
    Cycle #3: 100 mg Clomid CD3-CD7 trigger TI Progesterone=BFP!
    Beta 1=144 Beta 2=359 Beta 3=637

My Scrambled Eggs

Surprise BFP January 2012! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My OB said my cervix is completely thinned out, but no dilation yet. So I'm the exact opposite. lol I have no clue what it means or if it's an indication of labor starting soon. And fwiw, this is #3 for me and I am clueless. It's been 8 yrs since I've done this. LOL
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagejenmccon:
    My OB said my cervix is completely thinned out, but no dilation yet. So I'm the exact opposite. lol I have no clue what it means or if it's an indication of labor starting soon. And fwiw, this is 3 for me and I am clueless. It's been 8 yrs since I've done this. LOL

According to my OB and what I've read from several sources, this is the more common pattern. I read one thing that said after your first, you dilate and then efface, but everything else I've seen had said that second time and beyond, it's most commonly efface then dilate.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm 3 and 70% and have been for a week now. Everyone is different and every pregnancy can  be different.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"