January 2013 Moms
Options

restless leg syndrome

For the past three nights, I have been unable to sleep. I keep tossing and turning and my legs feel like I need to constantly move them. I am using a body pillow and it doesn't seem to help much. I literally watch the clock move from hour to hour, while getting up to pee a gazillion times, since I'm awake anyway. I've tried tylenol, didn't work and also benadryl to no avail. I'm sleep deprived and grouchy. Any ideas?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: restless leg syndrome

• Options
    Magnesium supplements are supposed to help with restless muscles.  I would just check with your OB to make sure they are OK to take.  Hopefully you can get some sleep soon!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Tickerimage
  • Options
    I have been dealing with RLS off and on since the beginning of my second trimester. Unfortunately not a lot has been able to help me through those night, either. The only thing I have found is literately sleeping on the hard ground. I know that may sound insane but I think it hits a nerve just right where my legs stop enough to sleep. I tried benadryl and it actually made it worse... Drink lots of water and a good 15 to 20 minute walk a few hours before bed can also help.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I've had this since I was little. Instead I use it to my advantage. I rock myself to sleep. I freaked my roommate out in college though. Haha. She thought I was having a seizure. She wasn't too bright.
  • Options
    I have had RLS my entire life. Pregnancy has made is worse to the point where I have cried in frustration. The only advice I can give you is to google some home remedies and see which ones work best for you... For me it's a bath and a stretch, but not every time. All you can do when the symptoms come on is walk or stretch them off or one of the other few things that people have found helpful like a heating pad. Drugs aren't going to help ... The only kind that you can take for RLS is unsafe during pregnancy. I talked to my doctor about it because its been impossible to handle at times without the meds. She didn't have much info that was any more helpful than what I found online. It's a really sucky thing to deal with, hopefully it goes away for you soon!
  • Options
    I'm wondering if this is what I was dealing with last night. About an hour after going to bed, I woke up and felt like I couldn't keep my legs still. They felt like they needed to move and keeping them still (trying not to wake hubby) just intensified the feeling. I finally got up, used the bathroom and walked to the kitchen to get a drink of water. That was enough to get the feeling to go away... For that time anyway...
  • Options
    imageEAMommy:
    I'm wondering if this is what I was dealing with last night. About an hour after going to bed, I woke up and felt like I couldn't keep my legs still. They felt like they needed to move and keeping them still trying not to wake hubby just intensified the feeling. I finally got up, used the bathroom and walked to the kitchen to get a drink of water. That was enough to get the feeling to go away... For that time anyway...

Yep that sounds like it. Aww I hate that so many ladies are experiencing this... It's so annoying! I hope yours doesn't get any worse!
  • Options
    sleeping on the couch with my knees up against the side of the couch has definitely helped me.  It doesn't always work, but some sleep is better than none ;-)
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks for all of the replies! It seems like it is something we are just going to have to deal with and try to stop with comfort measures. I'm going to try a warm bath before bed tonight. Has anyone found that their legs are worse after going to the gym? Sometimes being too active can trigger it for me.
  • Options
    I have been getting this since I hit second tri, it kicks in at night when I'm relaxing in front of the t.v.  I've been walking every day, but I haven't been doing yoga/stretching.  I just bought a yoga video and I'm going to see if the extra stretching/strength training helps with the RLS at all.  Just a theory, it might not help at all!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"