November 2012 Moms

How early into crib?

Everyone keeps telling me not to worry too much about setting up the nursery because it will be awhile before the baby will even sleep in its crib.  The truth is that I do not plan to co-sleep and would love my baby in their crib early on. 

How early did your baby sleep in its crib?

Re: How early into crib?

• My kids sleep in a bassinett until they will roll out of it, but I know plenty of people who put their babies in it's crib the day they got home from the hospital.  I tried to with DS1 and couldn't stand it, I went out the next day and got the bassinett.  It actually seems like it would be good to get them sleeping in their cribs asap.  Mine get used to the bassinett and then have trouble when I switch them to the crib, but I just can't stand them so far away in the beginning.  Get a good monitor and set up your nursery.  Tell everyone else to mind their own business.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We will not be co-sleeping, but we are starting out with a PNP in our room. We could start in the crib from day one if we wanted because his room is right next to ours, but I want the convenience at first. We'll see how it goes (if he's too noisy and nobody is getting sleep, we're open to transitioning earlier rather than later). I plan to transition to the crib by the time I go back to work around 11/12 weeks.

But, many people start off in the crib immediately. Absolutely nothing wrong with that.

Oh, and FWIW, my crib has been put together since about 22 weeks. I am getting a sheet this weekend and apparently getting the full bedding at my shower next weekend (it's showing as fulfilled on the registery), so even though we don't plan to use it, the crib is ready.

Proud Doxie Mommy

TTC #1 since Sept. 2009 - DX unexplained IF March 2011 - "Surprise" BFP March 2012
    DS born via c-section 11/17/12
    TTC #2 (or, not TTA) Nov. 2013
    BFP #2 8/22/14, Missed M/C 6w2d, Discovered 7w4d/Official 8w6d, D&C 9/27/14
  • Loading the player...
  • imageMamaAlex:

NOT co-sleeping in our bed which is dangerous/should never be done.

Many healthcare professionals (including Doctor Sears), as well as a plethora of mothers in other countries, would disagree with you.   There are safe and unsafe ways to do it, but it's more common than uncommon.

• I am a FTM, so I know EVERYONE knows better than me. Confused But, I don't want a bassinet. My door is literally right across the three foot hallway and I want her to be able to sleep in her crib from the moment we get home. Now, if I decide I want one after a few days at home then I will get one but I wish I didn't get the lecture everything I say I don't want one.
    BabyName Ticker
  • imagetasiaceleste:
    imageMamaAlex:

Many healthcare professionals (including Doctor Sears), as well as a plethora of mothers in other countries, would disagree with you.   There are safe and unsafe ways to do it, but it's more common than uncommon.

Yes

I personally don't co-sleep, but I believe it is more common than uncommon, as well as it can be as safe as other methods with some research ahead of time...

DD was put in her crib at 2months, before that she was in the bassinet portion of her PnP in our room. We had to move her at 2months because DHs' work alarm started to wake her, and this momma wasn't wanting to get up at 4am every morning lol.

Those who don't believe in love at first sight, have never given birth
    Big sister meeting little brother for the first time-
    <a href="http://s326.photobucket.com/albums/k409/YellowMiles/?action=view
  • imagetasiaceleste:
    imageMamaAlex:

Totally agree with tasiaceleste.  We will be co-sleeping at night, but with DD1.0, we put her in her crib during the day to nap.  I wanted a smooth transition when we were ready for her to sleep in her crib full time.  It worked beautifully and we plan to do it again with this baby.  She was familiar with her crib and had no issues.  Even if you're not co-sleepng, but using a PnP in your room or something like that, I recommend doing this.

• Both of mine were in their cribs as soon as I was home from the hospital - so about 2 or 3 days old. And I plan on doing the same with this one. I'm one of those mothers, also, who are big on belly sleeping (FFFC? I know the "risks" and don't want/need to hear opinions on the matter) and they sleep on their backs for about a month, then I flip them over and they sleep on their belly.
  • imageLaura_Elaine:
    Both of mine were in their cribs as soon as I was home from the hospital - so about 2 or 3 days old. And I plan on doing the same with this one. I'm one of those mothers, also, who are big on belly sleeping (FFFC? I know the "risks" and don't want/need to hear opinions on the matter) and they sleep on their backs for about a month, then I flip them over and they sleep on their belly.

DD loved sleeping on her belly when she was little, and I didn't mind it either. When I check on her before I go to bed now even, shes more often than not rolled up on her belly Smile 

Those who don't believe in love at first sight, have never given birth
    Big sister meeting little brother for the first time-
    <a href="http://s326.photobucket.com/albums/k409/YellowMiles/?action=view
  • We got a bassinet so that she could sleep in our room for a little while. SO is laid off in the winter time so he will be home with me for most of the time I am off from work. She will probably be in our room for the first 9 weeks or so, until I go back to work. Mainly, we are just having her in our room because it will be easier at night when she wakes and I am BF.

• DS1 slept in a cradle next to our bed for a month and then we put him in his crib.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageMamaAlex:
    imageCandaceLeigh:
    imagetasiaceleste:
    imageMamaAlex:

Totally agree with tasiaceleste.  We will be co-sleeping at night, but with DD1.0, we put her in her crib during the day to nap.  I wanted a smooth transition when we were ready for her to sleep in her crib full time.  It worked beautifully and we plan to do it again with this baby.  She was familiar with her crib and had no issues.  Even if you're not co-sleepng, but using a PnP in your room or something like that, I recommend doing this.

I am one of those people who will always follow the medical mainstream, knowing doctors and scientists are way more educated on a given medical issue than I am.  These professionals spend their careers working toward making kiddos safer, so why fight it?  I'm not persuaded by people who "just feel" like they know better, or are willing to risk their kids' safety because they haven't done the research or are otherwise misinformed.  Whether a parent won't insist baby go "back to sleep", or co-sleeps because they want extra snuggles or because it's "easier", or they don't vaccinate because they were misled by the fraudulent autism studies or by baseless anecdotes from friends ...  I. just.don't. get. it!

Certainly, medical knowledge is always changing.  Will some of today's recommendations ultimately turn out to be bunk?  Probably.  BUT, if - God forbid -anything happened to LO despite me taking every recommended precaution, I would be able to find at least SOME peace knowing I did the best I could with the best information out there.  If I'd been selfish or lazy or allowed myself to be otherwise uneducated, I'd spend the rest of my life deep in regret.

For me, this kind of risk-taking is just not worth it. 

But as tasiaceleste pointed out, co-sleeping is an area where there is disagreement among the medical professionals who do that research. There is research to support both ways.  We co-slept part-time after much research, not just because "we felt like it".   Co-sleeping can be very dangerous (soft mattresses, use of alcohol/drugs, obese parents, sleeping on a couch,etc.), but there are absolutely ways to do it safely  and a mother choosing to do that does NOT make her lazy or uninformed.  In my mind co-sleeping and anti-vax are not on the same page. Legitimate and respected medical professionals are nearly 100% pro-vax, but there is more of a split on co-sleeping opinion. 

Co-sleep or don't, I don't care, but please don't insinuate that those who do are lazy, uninformed, or don't care as much about the safety of their children.    

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • LO #1 slept in the rock n play next to our bed for 3 months. When he first came home i don't think i would have been comfortable having him in his nursery (next door). plus it was just easier since I was feeding him at night.  i think we probably would have moved him earlier but he had reflux and really couldn't lie flat. We did it at 3 months with a crib wedge for his reflux. our Dr said at 3 months they start noticing their surroundings so it's good to have them in their permanent sleep area by then. worked out great for us and plan on doing something similar unless this LO is able to go into his crib a little earlier.
  • From day 1.. aside from many hours spent sleeping on my chest in the recliner, whenever they weren't sleeping ON me, they were in their crib from day 1
    Mommy of 3! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageMamaAlex:
    imageCandaceLeigh:
    imagetasiaceleste:
    imageMamaAlex:

I am one of those people who will always follow the medical mainstream, knowing doctors and scientists are way more educated on a given medical issue than I am.  These professionals spend their careers working toward making kiddos safer, so why fight it?  I'm not persuaded by people who "just feel" like they know better, or are willing to risk their kids' safety because they haven't done the research or are otherwise misinformed.  Whether a parent won't insist baby go "back to sleep", or co-sleeps because they want extra snuggles or because it's "easier", or they don't vaccinate because they were misled by the fraudulent autism studies or by baseless anecdotes from friends ...  I. just.don't. get. it!

Certainly, medical knowledge is always changing.  Will some of today's recommendations ultimately turn out to be bunk?  Probably.  BUT, if - God forbid -anything happened to LO despite me taking every recommended precaution, I would be able to find at least SOME peace knowing I did the best I could with the best information out there.  If I'd been selfish or lazy or allowed myself to be otherwise uneducated, I'd spend the rest of my life deep in regret.

I'm not sure why you're choosing to launch such a personal attack towards me, but I don't appreciate the name-calling and insinuations you've made about me in this statement.  If you re-read my statement, I actually agreed that babies need to be in their cribs from an early date as to allow it to become a familiar and safe place.  We both may go about accomplishing that in a different manner, but on that note, we do agree.  You stated that you are not as well-educated on certain topics, including co-sleeping and vaccinations, but please don't assume that we have the same level of education.  I've spent years studying and have advanced degrees in immunology and pathophysiology and have absolutely done my research with regard to my parenting choices.  If you feel that co-sleeping is not a safe choice for you, then I won't argue with you or attempt to persuade your decision on that matter.  I don't know your lifestyle and therefore cannot make statements as to what would work for you and what wouldn't.  I'll gladly make recommendations based on research and experience when they're asked for, which is exactly what I did.  However, I know what works well for me and my family and I'll say again that I have done extensive research to back my parenting choices.  I've read both sides to each argument and made a judgement based on facts presented, therefore I don't appreciate the assumption that I'm "selfish", "lazy", "otherwise uneducated", doing what's "easier," or looking for "extra snuggles".  Those assumptions are ridiculous and you have no foundation for making them with regard to my family.  It's not that I "haven't done my research or [am] otherwise misinformed", we have differing opinions based on differing education levels, differing research, and ultimately differing experiences.  I have not attacked you or your parenting choices in any manner throughout either of my posts; therefore please stop attacking me and mine.

• DD slept in our room for 6 months, in her crib for 2, then when we moved, we moved her to her own room.
    oa1
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

? Voted Cool Cat ~ 2012 Sweetpea Mom Awards ?

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • We found a U Tube video of a woman making a crib into a "co sleeper" kind of thingy. We are going to try that and see how it works. She showed how to attach it to make it sturdy and everything. Since I know I want LO n the room with us for a while this will work. Our second bedroom is to far away for comfort. If we decide the crib is to much in there we will change it. It will be nice I Think, since LO will still be in its crib right away, and close enough for me to touch / check on, with out being IN the bed with me and DH.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Both of my girls slept in their crib from day one home from the hospital.  A friend gave me a cradle for the new baby and I plan on using it so this baby won't sleep in the crib until he/she outgrows the cradle.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers mc #1 2/17/06 mc#2 8/3/06 mc #3 9/7/09
  • imageCandaceLeigh:
    imageMamaAlex:
    imageCandaceLeigh:
    imagetasiaceleste:
    imageMamaAlex:

I'm not sure why you're choosing to launch such a personal attack towards me, but I don't appreciate the name-calling and insinuations you've made about me in this statement.  If you re-read my statement, I actually agreed that babies need to be in their cribs from an early date as to allow it to become a familiar and safe place.  We both may go about accomplishing that in a different manner, but on that note, we do agree.  You stated that you are not as well-educated on certain topics, including co-sleeping and vaccinations, but please don't assume that we have the same level of education.  I've spent years studying and have advanced degrees in immunology and pathophysiology and have absolutely done my research with regard to my parenting choices.  If you feel that co-sleeping is not a safe choice for you, then I won't argue with you or attempt to persuade your decision on that matter.  I don't know your lifestyle and therefore cannot make statements as to what would work for you and what wouldn't.  I'll gladly make recommendations based on research and experience when they're asked for, which is exactly what I did.  However, I know what works well for me and my family and I'll say again that I have done extensive research to back my parenting choices.  I've read both sides to each argument and made a judgement based on facts presented, therefore I don't appreciate the assumption that I'm "selfish", "lazy", "otherwise uneducated", doing what's "easier," or looking for "extra snuggles".  Those assumptions are ridiculous and you have no foundation for making them with regard to my family.  It's not that I "haven't done my research or [am] otherwise misinformed", we have differing opinions based on differing education levels, differing research, and ultimately differing experiences.  I have not attacked you or your parenting choices in any manner throughout either of my posts; therefore please stop attacking me and mine.

Yes

• With DD we put her in the crib a few times for sexy time (she was in an Arm's Reach co-sleeper for 8 weeks), so yea, for that it was better to have the crib set up at least! I also put her in there a few times for a shower during the first 8 weeks. After that she started sleeping there at night, she didn't really nap in her crib until 4 months or so.

Baby #3 is on the way! EDD  3/8/15
    DD1--8/29/10
    DD2--11/6/12

• Of course, the rate of SIDS is lowest in countries where co-sleeping is traditional. 

There are risks and rewards to every behavior, and sleeping in a crib is no exception.  

• imageMamaAlex:
    imageCandaceLeigh:
    imageMamaAlex:
    imageCandaceLeigh:
    imagetasiaceleste:
    imageMamaAlex:

Look: I'm not trying to make it personal.  It's just my viewpoint and I'm passionate about it.  Clearly you're passionate about yours.

For me, I can't justify choosing a questionable sleeping arrangement like co-sleeping when the alternative, crib-sleeping is tried and true.  Hundreds of kids die every year because well-meaning parents roll over on their LOs or cause them to be deprived of oxygen in some other way.  Just because SOME doctors say it MAY be ok or beneficial in some way, the American Academy of Pediatrics recommends against it.  Just from a common sense perspective, I don't know how one can say for sure that, when they're ASLEEP, they won't accidentally roll onto their kid.  I certainly can't - because I'd be unconscious!  So I'll forgo the extra bonding I'd, frankly, love to have with co-sleeping, if it means increasing LO's chance of sleeping safely.

If it means I'm not as well bonded with my kid, so be it.  I'd rather have them alive.

Again, not trying to make it personal.  Will most kiddos who co-sleep be totally fine?  Absolutely.  But SOME WON'T BE.  Most co-sleeping parents are assuming SOME KIND of quantifiable, unnecessary, proven risk for a questionable, unquantifiable reward.  That's what I can't wrap my brain around. 

An apology for the name calling and false insinuations made about me and my parenting choices would have served you better than a second, uneducated rant.  The assumption that co-sleeping means sleeping with a child in your bed and the sole purpose of doing so is to better "bond" with baby has been continually made by yourself.  I have never made either of those statements.  Please allow me to educate you as to how I can guarantee while I'm asleep and "unconscious" as you put it, that neither myself nor my husband will roll over onto our baby causing her to become oxygen deprived:  an Arm's Reach Co-Sleeper. 

As per crib sleeping being "tried and true" and the "hundreds" of children that die each year from co-sleeping, I suggest actually doing some research.  Of the (on average) 4,250 children that die of SIDS each year, only an average of 65 of said children die from co-sleeping.  While I do agree with your conclusion that not every co-sleeping child will be safe, I must also remind you and point out that not every crib-sleeping child will be safe either.  The statistics given speak to that truth.  As tasiaceleste stated, there are safe and unsafe ways to go about co-sleeping.  There are safe and unsafe ways to go about crib sleeping, as well.  You have chosen to crib-sleep.  I have chosen to co-sleep.  We have each made the decision that we feel is most beneficial for our children.  You have stated at two different times that you are not capable of understanding my (or any parent's) choice to co-sleep.  I'm not asking you to.  I'm asking that you respect a different choice than your own.  That is all.

Please listen carefully, as this is the last time I will ask:  I have not attacked you or your parenting choices in any manner throughout any of my posts; therefore please stop attacking me and mine.

• imageMamaAlex:

If you use an "arms reach co-sleeper" device, that's not traditional co-sleeping.

...not really. Your severe biased toward how other people choose to raise their kids is wrong...

and quite frankly, I

I'm glad you have your own opinions and you know how you plan to raise your LO, but your condescension toward other parent's choices to raise their kids is infuriating. The fact that you can try to "point blank" say that co-sleeping is dangerous and just "conveniently" leave out any references on the many instances on how crib sleeping can be dangerous too, is ridiculous. Surely you're not so ignorant to know that accidents happen either way... no one is ever 100% truly safe: co sleeping or crib sleeping...or whatever other "controversial" stance you want to bring up.

And lastly, you're entitled to your own opinions, but seriously, learn how to articulate them in a less offensive way. Yeeesh.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• imageMandJS:
    imagerachael_c26:
    imageMamaAlex:

If you use an "arms reach co-sleeper" device, that's not traditional co-sleeping.

...not really. Your severe biased toward how other people choose to raise their kids is wrong...

and quite frankly, I

I'm glad you have your own opinions and you know how you plan to raise your LO, but your condescension toward other parent's choices to raise their kids is infuriating. The fact that you can try to "point blank" say that co-sleeping is dangerous and just "conveniently" leave out any references on the many instances on how crib sleeping can be dangerous too, is ridiculous. Surely you're not so ignorant to know that accidents happen either way... no one is ever 100% truly safe: co sleeping or crib sleeping...or whatever other "controversial" stance you want to bring up.

And lastly, you're entitled to your own opinions, but seriously, learn how to articulate them in a less offensive way. Yeeesh.

Boy Meets World for the win. Corey and Topanga FOREVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

It rhymes with "noshmanga"!!!!  Loved that show!  And her hair!

MandJS- bedrest has made you less thug-ish.  I need you to put on your big girl thug panties and stir some business up in hurrrrr!  Our board is far too mellow at the moment.  We need to "disagree" so we can bond some more.

• imagetasiaceleste:

Of course, the rate of SIDS is lowest in countries where co-sleeping is traditional. 

There are risks and rewards to every behavior, and sleeping in a crib is no exception.  

The nurse educator at my prenatal classes spoke at length on this.

Actually has changed my mind on the co-sleeping and we will try it out now.

BFP #1- 11/7/10 ~EDD 7/20/11 ~M/C (bo) 12/6/10 @ 8wks ~Missing my Little Firework

BFP #2- 9/11/11 ~EDD 5/25/12 ~M/C (mmc10w)11/4/11 @ 11wks ~Missing my May Flower

BFP #3- 02/21/12 ~EDD 11/1/12  Audrey Lee Born 11/4/2012

BFP #4 ~EDD 6/20/14 stick baby stick!

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• imageCandaceLeigh:
    imageMandJS:
    imagerachael_c26:
    imageMamaAlex:

and quite frankly, I

Boy Meets World for the win. Corey and Topanga FOREVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

It rhymes with "noshmanga"!!!!  Loved that show!  And her hair!

MandJS- bedrest has made you less thug-ish.  I need you to put on your big girl thug panties and stir some business up in hurrrrr!  Our board is far too mellow at the moment.  We need to "disagree" so we can bond some more.

I forgot to respond to your post about this a while back Wink

See, good times and I am not that crazy.

BFP #1- 11/7/10 ~EDD 7/20/11 ~M/C (bo) 12/6/10 @ 8wks ~Missing my Little Firework

BFP #2- 9/11/11 ~EDD 5/25/12 ~M/C (mmc10w)11/4/11 @ 11wks ~Missing my May Flower

BFP #3- 02/21/12 ~EDD 11/1/12  Audrey Lee Born 11/4/2012

BFP #4 ~EDD 6/20/14 stick baby stick!

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"