Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

Brushing teeth!

Ok so my son is 1 1/2 and only has 4 tiny teeth and 2 more coming in!  He will NOT let me brush his teeth... He didnt mind it awhile back but now he locks his jaw and as soon as i get  the tooth brush in his mouth his tounge pushes it back out and I cant brush his teeth!  I have the finger one still and a toddler one?!  Any helpful hints!?

Re: Brushing teeth!

• my 14 month old still fusses and resists.  For a while she was opening her mouth and letting me brush a little.  I used the finger thing until she figured out how to bite down on it as hard as possible.  I just keep trying and tell her it's for her own good.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • we sing a song "we brush our teeth like this... we brush our teeth like that..." lol and I let him get in his own time with the toothbrush he likes to chew on it. but I don't get that many scrubs in... maybe like 5 swipes on each row
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Photobucket
  • Loading the player...
  • My pedi said that even if we have to resort to a couple swipes with a wet washcloth once a day, that should suffice.  We usually brush teeth (however she'll let me) during her bath while she's distracted with her bath toys.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • I just let him brush his own!  He loves it.  He chews on the brush mostly.  I have been told this is good enough.  It is actually hard to get it away from him.  
  • We sing the Raffi song "Brush Your Teeth"and have a grand old time singing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1hlHked0LM

As soon as I do the first "che che che che" she gets really excited. We give her the toothbrush and she brushes her own teeth every night. Of course it isn't a stellar job but she's getting better. After she's done I grab the toothbrush and get a good couple of swipes in to complete the job.

Derek - February 2013        Caelyn April 2011
    imageimage

• We sing the raffi song too.... and he imitates before we get to our toothbrushes.
  • We sing the raffi song too.... and he imitates before we get to our toothbrushes.

It got easier once he got his toothbrush and toothpaste.  It also helps him that we brush our teeth together.  Now we can't seem to get the toothbrush out of his mouth

• Try letting him do it while he watches you brush your own teeth. We sing "brusha brusha brusha" while we brush. The dentist said if he starts resisting, not to force it because he will start to get scared of it and it will make him not like it in the future. Try a damp washcloth in the bath (DS likes to chew on them anyway while bathing) or just a couple sips of water before bed can help.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagekatidid1981:
    I just let him brush his own!  He loves it.  He chews on the brush mostly.  I have been told this is good enough.  It is actually hard to get it away from him.  

I do the same. My DS won't let me brush his teeth but he'll try to do it himself.  At this age, I don't think it really matters how well they brush.  At least, he's learning about hygiene LOL

• I let DD do it herself and I brush mine at the same time--she thinks it's great! At the end, I'll "help" her and do a quick once over in her mouth, but giving her the control for most of it changed us from a screaming fight every night to a fun time. 
     Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Follow Me on Pinterest
  • I don't know if you use the toddler toothpaste or not, but our DD actually likes the taste of it and is happier when we use it. 

Brushing her teeth once earlier in the day has also helped with bed-time, and I know people who brush their teeth as a big family with their child, and this seems to make the kid want to join in.  Hope that helps!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"