2nd Trimester

Are you planning on getting an epidural?

I am going to be 24 weeks on Saturday and have been thinking a lot about epidurals. I'm still up in the air about getting one or not. What has been your experiences?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Are you planning on getting an epidural?

• Not planning on it. We did the Bradley Method and were able to have a natural birth with DD#1. Hoping for the same with DD#2! 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Nope. I made it through an induction on pitocin and mag-sulfate without needing an epi, so I feel quite confident that I can go without again.

My advice, plan to go without, but if the pain is too much during labor, you can still get one. I think women are more likely to have problems if they plan to have one, and then it doesn't work or things progress too fast to have one, and they don't know how to manage the pain. 

• Loading the player...
  • Nope, I don't plan to.  I had to last time...because after 5 hours of pushing (DS was OP and large) it was either rest or have a c-section.  I'm trying natural again this time, hopefully with a better outcome.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Yes 100%. I admire those who go natural. No way I could do it. Everyone is different and has to choose what is best for them.
    Me:40 DH:40 AMH:.21 FSH: 10.9 2 failed IUIs on Clomid; 4 failed IUIs using Follistim; 1 cancelled IVF due to poor response; Switched REs in March 2012; Currently stimming for final IVF. Estrogen priming with microsode lupron; 6/25:8 retrieved,7 mature,5 fertilized with ICSI; 6/30: transferred 4. Beta #1 7/12:92.1 Beta #2 7/16: 528 Beta #3 7/18: 1,042 7/25/12: First ultrasound. 1 bean measuring 6 weeks 1 day Hb 116 BabyFruit Ticker
  • Yes!  I get the whole "Your body was made to do this thing" I just prefer to pretend like it wasn't!  I have no tolerance for pain and actually with my second child, I had no epidural except for the last 5 minutes, which were spent pushing.  I came into the ER a 6 in major pain, spent the next hour waiting for enough fluids to get in me so I could have the epidural, all while yelling at the nurse and trying to bite my husband's hand (see, no pain tolerance) and when I finally got the epidural, they checked me, I was a 10, I pushed him out in 3 pushes.  I don't know what we ended up paying for the epidural, but I would have paid full price for that thing just for those 5 minutes of relief.  Not trying to scare you or change your mind, that was just my experience.

With my third baby, I was induced and never felt one contraction.  They broke my water at 7AM, gave me the epidural and he was here before 1PM.  It was my dream birth because I got to enjoy it without any fear.  I felt completley in control and bonded with him right away.

I applaud all mamas who can go med free.  You all are Rock Stars!

I prayed for this child, and the LORD has granted me what I asked of Him. ~ 1 Samuel 1:27 NIV
  • So here is why I don't plan on having one. They may not work. No joke, this happens. I went into labor at 5am, labored at home until 11pm then went to the hospital at 3cm dilated. I got my epi around 1am, and it only worked on my right side. The nurse told me to roll from side to side and that could get it working but in all honesty we all knew that the guy had put it in incorrectly and he wasn't willing to admit it. It wore off at 8cm, so I went through transition au natural and DD was born without pain meds. It wasn't really that bad. Another good friend of mine was immune to the epidural. They placed three of them, none took affect and they had loaded her up with pitocin (it was a total "pit to distress" situation). Go in with every intention of doing this without an epi, and then if you get one, and it works, yay! If you get my situation you won't feel like you are lost in a sea of pain, since you planned.

Lost but never forgotten <3 : </br> 1st BFP 2/8/06 m/c @ 12 weeks; 2nd BFP 2/9/07 w/ Clomid; DD (Monica Caroline) born 11/16/07; 3rd BFP 3/25/11 w/ injections m/c @ 5 weeks; 4th BFP 8/3/11 w/ injections diagnosed blighted ovum; 5th BFP 1/20/12 m/c @ 9 weeks; 6th BFP 4/27/12 Praying for our rainbow Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • If I'm induced again, then when I hit 6 cm I will likely get one again like I did with my first. I ended up with a c/s with him anyway. I was glad the epi was already in place when I was wheeled to the OR.

I'm going to try for a VBAC this time. If I get to go into labor naturally I'm leaving it completely up in the air. I hear natural contractions are way different than induced contractions and I have no idea how I will react to the pain.

We will see!

• I was sure that I wanted to go without one when I gave birth to DD, but I just couldn't cope with the pain so I got one.  I'm hoping I can make it without the epidural this time around, but if not, I'll get it again.  Luckily, I had no issues with mine and it really helped.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Can't get one because of a back injury. Hoping I can make it through because my only other med option is morphine. :/ 
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Not a chance.
    Mom to Carter, Kendall, Kiersten and Baby O #4

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Yes, ma'am!! It was a beautiful thing :0) Like a PP said, I too admire those that do it naturally...but that isn't for me.

If you knew how lonely my life has been And how long I've been so alone And if you knew how I wanted someone to come along And change my life the way you've done

Baby Names - BabyNamey.com Name Badge Ticker Baby Names - BabyNamey.com Name Badge Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker

pregnancy

Anniversary
  • I got one for my 1st and I'm sooooo glad I did.  I got a 3rd degree tear and can't imagine the pain I'd be in if I didn't have one.  Definitely getting one again.  :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • I'm not planning on getting one, but I'm not planning on not getting one either. I'm open to it, and we'll see how things go. 
    K & C | 9.17.10
    "With You By My Side, I Will Never Be Lost"
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

CafeMom Tickers

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I am 100% planning on getting an epidural.

BFP #1: 7/10/2012 .... DS Born: 2/26/2013
    TTC #2: 5/2014
    BFP #2: 7/8/2014 .... MC at 4w4d
    BFP #3: 9/14/2014...EDD 5/30/2015

Little Sister is on the way!
  • I planned to not have one last time, and was able to go through with not getting one.  My labour was only 10 hours though.  Had it been more drawn out I think I would have needed something!

Primarily what encouraged me to to med free was reading Ina May's Guide to Natural Childbirth, watching videos like the Business of Being Born, and I found our prenatal yoga instructor was awesome because she provided us with affirmations that we could take away and use to help us get through it.  She also taught us a breathing technique which got me through my entire labour...it was great. 

I figured it was best to plan to not have it because we live in a small city with one anethesiologist by the sounds of it so if he is tied up in a surgery or if it's the middle of the night, he might not be able to get there within the "window" to give an epidural.  I have heard of so many moms around here who asked for an epidural but were not able to get it.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers BabyFetus Ticker
  • Yes. I had one with DS. I got it about 8 to 10 hours in I think? Can't remember. It allowed me to sleep and dilated about 6 cm more. It was a godsend for me and my person situation. I wouldn't have walked in and just asked for it straight out but there is a point in labour where it might be beneficial to realx you if nothing else and that was the case for me! I did labour in the shower on a birth ball for a bit first and that was soothing. 
  • :::lurker:::

I didn't get one. My labor was short, intense and sweet though. I have a ton of respect for a good friend of mine who made it 72 hours unmedicated. She didn't even drop an F bomb!

I would say play it by ear. Have plan A and Plan B. You have to go with how you feel in the moment. Good luck.

For what it's worth when its time for me with number two I am going to try to do it unmedicated again. It's crazy painful, but there is a light at the end. Eyes on the prize!

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• imageKie310:

If I'm induced again, then when I hit 6 cm I will likely get one again like I did with my first. I ended up with a c/s with him anyway. I was glad the epi was already in place when I was wheeled to the OR.

I'm going to try for a VBAC this time. If I get to go into labor naturally I'm leaving it completely up in the air. I hear natural contractions are way different than induced contractions and I have no idea how I will react to the pain.

We will see!

I have the same thoughts exactly!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm leaning more towards not getting one as I'm worried about my increased risk of a blood clot in my spine because I am on blood thinners. My MFM told me I could have one if I waited 12 hours, but I'm sure I would have the baby by then.
  • I don't necessarily "plan" to get an epidural, no. However, I always go into L&D with an open mind and I am certaintly not against getting it if I feel I want it. (Well, with the exception of my 1st. I was dead set against an epi when I went in to have her. Half way through labor I finally caved & got it, slept like a baby until the nurse woke me up and told me it was time to push. About 20 minutes later she was born. It was AMAZING.)

I try for natural, but if I decide I want an epidural, I get an epidural. So far I've had it with 4 out of my 5 kids and had great experiences all 5 times, epidural or not. :)

My longest labor was with my 1st... just under 8 hours. Shortest was with my 5th, barely 3 hours. The longest I have pushed with was my 1st, about 20 minutes. The epidural has never once taken complete feeling from me.. I am left with just enough sensation to feel the urge to push, and to be able to productively push. My babies were all born alert, got great apgar scores, and were eager to nurse right off the bat. I, personally, have never had a bad experience with an epidural.. thankfully!

*Julie* Wife to Micheal and mama of 5, soon to be 6!* Pregnancy Ticker
  • heck ya!  This will be my 4th delivery.  With my first I thought I could do it without an epidural so I stuck it out until about 8 cm and then got one.  For my next two I got one as soon as I could.  For me, it made childbirth FUN and not torture.
  • I have done it with an epidural and without. I will be going with an epidural if I am going to be in labor for a long time. Why deal with pain if you don't have to? The only way I wouldn't have one is if I get to the hospital and I am basically ready to push.
    Wyatt 3.21.07 Grant 8.29.09 Ross 9.21.11 Pregnancy Ticker
  • Yeeeeah natural isn't for me. Anyone have any experience getting one and having scoliosis?
    Married: August 2008
    DS born: February 2013
    TTC #2: Nov. 14
    Chemical pregnancy 09/16/15
    BFP: 12/25/15 EDD: 09/04/16
  • Almost certainly yes.  Last time, it worked perfectly, didn't slow down my labor or interfere with my ability to push, and I got to nap off and on for the five or six hours it was in.  DD also had several late decelerations and since I was hooked up to monitors we knew it was happening and I could shift position to decrease the stress on DD.  I also liked that if for whatever reason I needed a C-section, it was already in and anesthesia wouldn't cause a delay, plus I had a big, bad tear and that and and being stitched up would have sucked without it.  I wasn't emotionally or physically exhausted when DD was born.  I loved it.
  • No.  I didn't have one last time and don't plan to this time.  
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Yep 100% had it with my first and will do it again.
    Birthday BabyFruit Ticker
  • I'll probably get one again this time. My experience wasn't perfect last time - I had a window of space where it wasn't working, they upped my dose and ultimately replaced it, and I was left so drugged up I couldn't feel anything or lift my legs but it was probably a blessing in light of my 3rd degree tear.
    image Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I'm not planning on it but I fully reserve the right to change my mind.

• I am getting a RCS this time so I will be getting a spinal. I was very against getting an epidural with DD#1 and I waited 14 hours to get one. It was a very hard decision but I was glad that I got one. My labor ended up stalling after 19 hours and it ended in a c-section. I am glad that I wasn't suffering for the remaining 5 hours because I would have ended up getting a spinal anyway. There is no right or wrong decision. I felt guilty about it at first but realized later it was a good decision. Good luck!
  • 14 weeks pregnant and i don't know if i want to get an epidural...i have a pretty good pain tolerance (14 tattoos, 4 piercings) but i'm worried about something going wrong with the epidural...
  • I'm not planning on it. I didn't with LO #1. But if there are any unforseen circumstances or whatever, then I am okay with getting one if necessary. 
  • imagebearkatjen:

My advice, plan to go without, but if the pain is too much during labor, you can still get one. I think women are more likely to have problems if they plan to have one, and then it doesn't work or things progress too fast to have one, and they don't know how to manage the pain. 

I also think this is very good advice.  You would rather be prepared to end up going without (or at least have ideas of what to do if such a situation arose) than plane to get an epidural and find out you can't or it's too fast or the anesthesiologist can't get to you or whatever. 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • In all honnesty, I haven't planned anything when it comes to deliver.  All I want is LO out of me, and both of us doing well. 

I have a medical condition and may not even be able to have an epidural, its up to the person giving it if they want to risk it.  For that matter, the same medical condition may also result in me having a c-section.

I guess as far as planning goes, I'm not planning to do it naturally; but we'll see how it goes.

*** DS born February 21, 2013 - Toronto, Canada  ***
    imageimage
  • im getting one. i cant take pain at all
    Pregnancy Ticker BabyFetus Ticker image image image image
  • Yes!  Labor scares the sh!t out of me!
    party-fails-crunk-critters-bruce-isnt-good-with-tequila
    see more After 12
    Just because something isn't happening for you right now doesn't mean it will never happen.
    IUI #1 - BFN IUI #2 - BFN
    IVF - Starting injects May 25 IVF #1 - BFP!
  • SS. If I have a VBAC I plan to go natural. If I have a RCS then I'll have a spinal. With DD the epi kept wearing off. It was dreadful. Working on my own and keeping myself calm through the contractions would have been much more pleasant. Ladies you need to learn some pain coping techniques in case the epi doesn't work properly or at all.
  • Getting an epidural isn't my go to plan.  But I'm definitely open to it.  I think the key to having a positive labor experience is really being open and flexible.  Go in understanding that not everything is going to go according to plan and make your decisions as things happen.  The goal really is having a healthy mom and baby at the end.  You don't get a special prize for going med free. (IMO)

My experience with DS was definitely not what I planned.  I went into labor Friday morning, lost my mucous plug, started having contractions and I delivered my son Monday night.  I was in labor for 4 days and pushing for 4 hours.  I didn't get my epidural until Monday morning and it was the best decision I've made.  My body was literally fighting off the contractions.  The instant I got my epidural my contractions went to 3 minutes.  I went from being dilated to a 4 to a 9 in an hour.  Everyone's experience is different.  A friend of mine was just in labor for a total of 90 minutes, start to finish.  She didn't get an epidural, she barely made it to the hospital. 

You have to do what feels right to you.  Definitely make a birth plan with goals that are important to you.  But be open to the idea that it may change.  GL! 

image image
    You fill me!!! Z! My BFP Chart
  • My OB has assured me that there will be a maximum of 20 minutes between the time I ask for an epidural and when it's delivered to me.

Because of this, I plan on trying to go without it, but I'll know it's there if I need it.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic image
  • I plan on being flexible and playing it by ear. I would like to go natural, but if it becomes unbearable, I will not hesitate to get the epi.
  • Yes, and even though I didn't get one with DD until I was 10 cm it was worth it. I think I would have been ok without it for her delivery, but after she was born they sewed up a small tear. Eventually the doc determined the placenta was not going to come out on its own and she had to go searching for it. Which tore out the stitches and hurt even with the epidural. I do not want to even think about going through that "naturally"

BFP 11/09 - DD 7/10 - BFP 8/11 - M/C 9/11 - BFP 6/12 - DD - 2/13

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"