Multiples

Loss of a Twin

Hi guys,

This is my first pregnancy, I just found out yesterday (21 weeks pregnant) that I lost one of my fraternal twin boys. I had no symptoms or anything, so this was pure shock. (My last appointment was 2 weeks ago, and everything was looking great). They found no heart beat and no movement. I am feeling a lot of mixed emotions. I am very upset over the loss, yet thankful that I still have one healthy baby, but nervous that the same will happen to him. The doctors had no explanation for what happened and why..They checked his placenta and everything looked healthy. I have heard that this happens alot.. It is just very hard to deal with.. Has anyone ever gone through the same, or have any advise for coping? Sad

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Re: Loss of a Twin

• I'm sorry I can't offer any advice or knowledge, but did want to express my sincerest sympathies.  I can't imagine how upset you must be.  My thoughts and prayers are with you.  <<hugs>>
  • I have no advice for you, just wanted to say that my heart is breaking for you, I am so sorry for your loss. Praying that your surviving baby is able to keep cooking and stays healthy. Hugs!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm so very sorry for your loss. Thinking of you and your family.

• That's awful :( Make sure you visit the loss board and seek out support there, too :( 

I haven't been through anything similar... being around the same gestation, I can say that I empathize deeply, and the pain you must feel would be overwhelming for me. 

I don't know about late-loss of a twin, but I do believe that the surviving twin has at least a 60% chance of going to term, and they will reach the realm of viability much sooner than that - so take comfort knowing that the odds are good that your fighter baby will make it into this world. 

I am so terribly saddened to hear about your loss. I truly hope that you have all of the support and love you need right now, and I wish you the very best for your little one.  

image  image

image image

*Spontaneous* OHSS diagnosed 08.06.2012
    Right ovary removed 09.04.2012 via vertical laparotomy
    Essure implant placed on remaining tube 06.13.2013; successful followup scan 09.30.2013

• I have no advise, but wanted to say how sorry I am for your loss.

PAIFW/SAIFW

DS1 born July 2002 (previous marriage).

TTC since Oct 08. DH Dx w/testicular cancer March 09.
    MFI due to retrograde ejaculation/azoospermia.
    5/2 IVF #1 cancelled due to large follie.
    6/14 start Lupron for IVF #1.2. 6/22 start stims.
    7/4 ER and Biopsy.
    7/9 Transferred 2 (1-4BB and 1-3BB) embryos.  4 frosties.
    7/15 +HPT 6dp5dt. 7/18 Beta #1: 193. 7/20 Beta #2: 415.
    8/10 1st u/s - It's triplets!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I am so very sorry for your loss.

One of the ladies I work with lost a twin around 24-26 weeks and she went on to have a healthy baby girl who is now 4 years old.

• I am very sorry...
  • I'm so sorry, sweetie. 
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I am so sorry for your loss.  I can't imagine what you must be going through.  My thoughts and prayers are with you and your healthy baby boy.
  • I'm so sorry for your loss. 
    imageimage
    TTC #1 since May 2010. BFP #1 - 5/31/10; m/c on 7/22/10
    Started seeing RE in August 2011
    5 IUIs: BFN; IVF #1 - Success! BFP - 7/25/12 Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • I'm sorry for your loss.
    my blog

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Boy/girl twins born at 37w1d and 37w2d

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Oh my gosh I'm so sorry!  My friend didn't have twins but she lost a baby at 21 weeks without any explination.  I wish nothing but the best for you and your family as you grieve the loss of your baby, while being grateful for still having the other baby.  Nothing anyone can say will make it better right now, but I am thinking about you....sorry again.
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I am so sorry for your lose. 
  • I am so very sorry for your loss.

Me:40 AMA, DH:36 0% morph, TTC#1;
    BFP#1 4/2011, MMC 6/2011 11wks Trisomy 13;
    BFP#2 11/2011, CP
    FSH: 17.9, AMH: 2.2
    IVF#1 w/ICSI: ER 4/3: 5R,4M,4F
    ET 4/6 All 4 (1-8A+, 2-8A-, 1-3A) BFP#3
    Two weeks of beta hell = Blighted Ovum
    IVF#2 Aug/Sept: ER 8/27: 4R,3M,3F
    ET 8/30 (1-8A+, 1-6A+)
    Beta#1 9/10: 350; Beta#2 9/12: 796; Beta#3 9/20: 9155
    Expecting Boy/Girl Twins! My babies were born 4/23/13 at 36w1d!

D & R were born at 37w5d.

• (((((((HUGS))))))))))   I am SO sorry :(

The best advice I was given is to grieve how YOU feel it's necessary and that you will never get over your loss, but you WILL get through it.  I lost both my twin boys at 18w during my first pg. but it was a little different.  Lots of love and be kind to yourself. 

Twin boys born too early at 17w4d and 18w2d in February 2010
    Transabdominal cerclage placed September 2010
    DS born at 35w1d in February 2011
    Twin girls born at exactly 36w in February 2013
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • I'm so very sorry for your loss. I've heard the miscarriage/pregnancy loss board has been a great source of comfort for many ladies who have gone through a loss.

I'll be keeping you in my thoughts and will send lots of T&Ps for a healthy rest of your PG.

((BIG HUGS))

TTC 12/2009
    Me: 32 - Stage II Endo / DH: 36 - Low count and morphology (1%)
    IUIs 1-3 BFN, lap Dec. 2010, IUIs 4-6 BFN
    IVF w/ICSI #1 - ER 2/8: 24R 19M 9F ET 2/13 2-5 day blasts (no frosties) = BFP - b/g twins!
    E & C Born 10/19/2012
  • I lost a triplet in the early second tri, like you I had no change in symptoms and no indication anything was wrong until our a/s.  It was heartbreaking.  There is a group that deal with the loss of a multiples but also specifically addresses the loss of one or more in pregnancy.  I found the stories there helpful https://www.climb-support.org/

I'm very sorry for you loss.  It's a horrible situation to be in,  I hope the remainder of your pregnancy goes well.

• I am so so sorry for your loss!  I do not have any experience with a loss of this nature and my heart is breaking for you.  I highly recommend the loss board for support through this.
    M & M
    06/12 - BFP!!!!
    Beta #1 15dpo - 256
    Beta #2 18dpo - 1097
    6wk U/S on 07/02 ~ TWINS!!!
    EDD 02/21/13
    09/10/12 Found out it's two Boys!!!! Sam and Jake
    Jacob and Samuel born 1/29/13 at 36 weeks. photo F489900B-BB44-4C44-ACD1-ABB73509E3B2-9032-000005E7AE7EF53E.jpg Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • imageGypsyEsq:

I found the stories there helpful https://www.climb-support.org/

Thank you all for the thoughts and prayers. I have posted on a few boards here for support. You ladies are great. I am taking this day by day at this point. I know there is nothing I can do about it but try and keep my boy healthy and strong until he is born.

I am definitly going to check out the link above, It does make me feel a lot better to know that I am not going through this alone, and there are other people who have been in my shoes and can help walk me through this.

hugs an good luck to all of you throughout your pregnancies!!

• (((HUGS)))  I am so sorry for your loss.
    After 5 TI Clomid cycles, 5 IUIs, and 2 IVFs we finally got our BFP!
    Beta#1 (12dp3dt)= 353, Beta#2 (15dp3dt)= 1466, Beta#3 (22dp3dt)= 14,139, First u/s: TWINS!!
    After 10 weeks of bedrest, our two little ladies joined us at 28w6d
  • I haven't ever posted on this board, but I hope it's okay if I comment. Before I comment I just want to give you a warning.  I ended up losing both of my twins, BUT it was a super rare disorder (trap sequence) which you definitely do not have. They were a special circumstance and I don't want to freak you out when you see my siggy. 

I am so so sorry that you lost your precious boy. 

I lost one of my twins at 21 weeks.  We did have an explanation, but that's a long story.  I just wanted to tell you that I'm sorry.  I've been in the position of carrying two babies and only planning on bringing home one.  It sucks.  I had a lot of people tell me, "well at least you have one healthy baby!" < Which I was grateful for, but having one child doesn't make up for losing another.  From what I understand and what I was told when we lost Porter, your other twin should be fine.  The fact that they're fraternal helps with that.  Obviously you should address any questions or concerns with your doctor.

As for coping- I would highly suggest that you visit the loss board.  Let yourself grieve and feel whatever you feel.  I know for me that I didn't truly mourn the loss of Porter until Isaac passed away.  I was in project mode and focused on keeping Isaac safe.  Don't feel guilty if you are focused on getting that other baby here safely.  Everyone's grieving process is different.  Sometimes all you can do is take it one day at a time.

T&Ps for you and your family. 

• frogs007---I am very sorry for your loss as well, I am feeling a lot of ups and downs. One minute I am crying my eyes out, the next I feel that everything is going to be okay, and the next I am more nervous for the twin that I have left.. this is just such a rollercoaster of emotions..All of the posting on here and friends and family are definitly helping me feel a little better though. But I know the feeling won't ever truly go away.

Its just hard to think that a few days ago I had two happy healthy babies, and all of a sudden that was taken away from me with no warning signs, nothing.

Thank you all for the thoughts and prayers. i really do appreciate it.

• imagemegleighh:

frogs007---I am very sorry for your loss as well, I am feeling a lot of ups and downs. One minute I am crying my eyes out, the next I feel that everything is going to be okay, and the next I am more nervous for the twin that I have left.. this is just such a rollercoaster of emotions..All of the posting on here and friends and family are definitly helping me feel a little better though. But I know the feeling won't ever truly go away.

Its just hard to think that a few days ago I had two happy healthy babies, and all of a sudden that was taken away from me with no warning signs, nothing.

Thank you all for the thoughts and prayers. i really do appreciate it.

If you need to vent or anything PLEASE feel free to email me- kimberlyjpalmer@gmail.com.  

It's definitely not an easy process.  I agree with the pp about the Pregnant after a loss group, I'm sure you'll find some support there too. Hugs.  I'm so sorry again that you're going through this.

• I am so sorry for your loss :( Prayers that your other boy continues to stay healthy. 
  • So sorry for your loss, sweetie. Sending you lots of love and strength, and best wishes for the rest of your pregnancy. ((hugs))
  • I am so sorry for your loss. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic BabyFruit Ticker DD#1 3/04 *TTC #2 since 6/2010 EDD 1/30/13 changed to 2/4/13 we are having boy/girl twins!
  • I'm so sorry and hope you can find peace soon. Hugs

imageimage 

6/20/11 mc @ 5wks
    10/19/11 mc @ 17wks- Trisomy 18
    IUI #1 4/26/12 BFN
    Moving on to IVF in July
    37 with DOR...fabulous
    ER 7/14/12 6R 5F, ET 7/17 3 embies, beta #1 7/26: 147, beta #2 7/28: 326, beta#3 7/30: 422...ugh, beta#4 7/31: 607...hopeful, beta #5 8/2: 1280, beta #6 8/7: 7184 and u/s shows 1 possibly 2 sacs! 8/14 2 beautiful heartbeats! 9/24 we are TEAM BLUE!!!!!

• I am so sorry.  Praying your other LO continues growing big and healthy.
  • I'm so sorry for the loss of your sweet boy. My thoughts are with you.
  • I'm so sorry to hear this.  I can't imagine what you must be going through.  Did you know that something similar happened to Kelsey Grammar's new wife just after they had announced in the media that they were having twins.  They kept it quiet but the wife did deliver the other baby healthy.  Sending you thoughts and prayers.
  • My heart breaks for you, and I am so, so sorry.

If it helps to ease your worry about the other one... my sister in law is happy, healthy and well, even though she'd had a twin who was lost at around 18 weeks. 

Married 07.07.07. Mom to 3: Ruby 11/08 and Oliver & Austin 12/11
  • I'm so sorry. Sad

While not the same situation, I did just recently lose baby #3 at almost 20 weeks. I started spotting at 17.5w and it never let up. Even though everything looked fine at the anatomy scan at 18.5w, I just knew something was wrong. The final answer was chorioamnionitis, or a placental infection. Anyway, just wanted to share my story and offer ::hugs::.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    imageimage

After 22 cycles and tube removal our IVF miracle has arrived! Detailed IF and IVF info in bio.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I would like to thank ALL of you for your support. It is great to know that others have been through the same, and all of you are very supporting. I am going for another u/s this Tuesday. Awaiting all possible results. I may go in for a cerclage next week if that seems like a viable option. Only time will tell from here. Thank you all for keeping my other little one in your prayers. I am doing nothing but praying for him as well!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"