1st Trimester

Time for new prenatal vitamins, suggestions??

So the past few days I've been gagging on my vitamins.  They are pretty big, but I took them for a whole year before becoming pregnant with no problem.  Anyone have suggestions for their vitamins, maybe not too big or something chewable (but not with a horrible taste)?  I had tried gummy prenatal vitamins in the past, but they were covered in this sour tasting powder that tasted awful!

I found a video on youtube titled "Pregnant women against horse pills" advertising chocolate prenatal vitamins but I haven't been able to find any reviews on them.

What's your prenatal vitamin and would you recommend it?  TIA

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: Time for new prenatal vitamins, suggestions??

• I've been taking the centrum one a day prenatals, they don't seem too bad. Maybe a chewable flintstone vitamin would work out better for you though?
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • I started out taking the One A Day prenatals.  They were fine and did not make me sick.  There is a vitamin tablet plus a DHA capsule.  The DHA capsule is kinda big but since it's slippery, it went down ok.  I got a sample of the Similac ones from my doctors office, and I liked them and switched to them since I had a coupon.  They are pretty similar except the DHA capsule is quite a bit smaller.  They don't make me sick either.  Neither of the DHA capsules leave a fishy aftertaste for me. 

If the taste and/or size of the vitamin bothers you, I would suggest doing it granny-style and taking it in some pudding or applesauce.  I have a hard time swallowing pills regardless of what they taste like, so this is how I like to do it.  It goes down easier and doesn't stick in my throat, and I can't taste them at all. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • I take vitafusion gummies.

BFP#1 "Watermelon" born 3/2011
    BFP#2 "Pumpkin" 7/14/12 ~ EDD 3/23/13 ~ Natural M/C 8/3/12 @ 7 weeks
    BFP#3 "Pineapple"  born 4/2013
    BFP#4 "Grapefruit" EDD 3/29/16
  • I take the Target brand prenatal and it is not too big and doesn't hurt my stomach or anything. 

Me: 33 DH: 39
    DD 1: 5-24-13
    TTC#2: BFP: 8-23-15 MMC: 10-29-15
    DD 2: 9-15-16
    DD 3: 9-16-17

• For my m/s, I was so excited to switch to the Target (Up & Up) gummies, but they coat them in a granular, sugar-like substance. The texture makes me gag. 

I have just continued to choke down my nature-made horse pills and DHA supplement with a meal.  

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • imagewatermelon mom:
    I take vitafusion gummies.

These! They're gummies and taste like candy.  You don't have to try to swallow anything! I can't stand to have to take huge pills and these are the best alternative! 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic BabyFruit Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I assume you're in the US? (seems like most ppl here are) I'm in canada and the ones I take, they don't sell in the US. They make me sick, so I have been taking folic acid and a DHA everyday until I can start taking them again.

But, I would suggest trying to avoid taking gummy prenatals only because they have sugar in them and you want to avoid sugar *as much as you can* as it can cause GD. I asked my SIL about taking gummy ones since the PN I have are HUGE and she said to try and avoid the gummy ones. 

just my 2 cents. 

TTC since May 2012; BFP July 31st, 2012; EDD April 13th, 2013 BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker Anniversary
  • imagewatermelon mom:
    I take vitafusion gummies.

This! And I take my iron pill seperately and its a type that dosen't hit your tummy hard at all.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • imageRussianMommy:

But, I would suggest trying to avoid taking gummy prenatals only because they have sugar in them and you want to avoid sugar *as much as you can* as it can cause GD. 

The amount of sugar in my gummy prenatals is less than that in a serving of spaghetti sauce and the same as that in a single slice of my organic, whole grain bread. Just a thought. The amount of sugar is negligible (3 grams). 

Also, GD is thought to be caused by a hormonal shift in insulin sensitivity and glucose tolerance. GD is NOT the same as acquired type-II diabetes. Ingestion of sugar does not CAUSE it, it can just cause problem if you develop it. 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • My doctor told me that I could take the same one my 3 year takes.  It is a Disney Princess gummy.  They taste just like fruit snacks.  My LO complains that I take more than her.  She takes two and I have to take four to get enough folic acid.  I just can't take adult vitamins for some reason.  They make my skin crawl.
    ~~~~~The Real Mrs. Simes~~~~~ BabyFetus Ticker BabyFruit Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • I just take the Target brand pn. They worked fine for me last time and they're much cheaper than the other brands.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • check out promise prenatal vitamins. they are small and do not make me sick at all. there are three separate formulas depending on which trimester you are in. the first trimester has less iron and more B6 to help with morning sickness! 

• I've been taking the Nature Made Prenatal + DHA.  They are large, but are longer and a little thinner than other large vitamins I've taken.  They are also a gelcap so they slide down easier, and don't taste bad. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Gummy prenatals from target! They have all the good stuff in it and they go down easy. :) 
    EDD#1 12/5/12 Born 11/21/12 My LB is better than your LB.BrittanyDoesDerby 4 LYFE!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    EDD#2 2.20.16 I love you already! <3

BabyFruit Ticker
    FEB16 Siggy Challenge Fave TV mom
  • imagetinychefjackson:
    imageRussianMommy:

But, I would suggest trying to avoid taking gummy prenatals only because they have sugar in them and you want to avoid sugar *as much as you can* as it can cause GD. 

The amount of sugar in my gummy prenatals is less than that in a serving of spaghetti sauce and the same as that in a single slice of my organic, whole grain bread. Just a thought. The amount of sugar is negligible (3 grams). 

Also, GD is thought to be caused by a hormonal shift in insulin sensitivity and glucose tolerance. GD is NOT the same as acquired type-II diabetes. Ingestion of sugar does not CAUSE it, it can just cause problem if you develop it. 

Oh, and ALL of this. GD isn't something you can "get" due to eating sugar. 

EDD#1 12/5/12 Born 11/21/12 My LB is better than your LB.BrittanyDoesDerby 4 LYFE!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    EDD#2 2.20.16 I love you already! <3

BabyFruit Ticker
    FEB16 Siggy Challenge Fave TV mom
  • NEW CHAPTER ORGANICS PERFECT PRENATAL Its not your yummy chewables but they are 3 pills per dose (so about 1/3 size of a normal pretnatal) and you can take them anytime throughout the day, empty stomach or not! small enough I can swallow it without water.

I love it because on the days I feel like I havent made the best food choices I know Im getting extra from the prenatal. It contains PROBIOTICS (a must have for me-my digestion gets a bit funky) an Herbal Blend (oats,blueberries,prunes, dandelion, rose hips, peppermint etc etc) and a BREAST SUPPORT (broccoli kale califlower daikon radish etc) which will help prep my milk factories! can feel a total difference now that im taking them, I have alot more energy and my stomach feels much better.

• imageMomma2Michelle:
    I've been taking the centrum one a day prenatals, they don't seem too bad. Maybe a chewable flintstone vitamin would work out better for you though?

THIS Big Smile

• I swear by New Chapter Prenatals... they are plant based
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • During my first trimester I took horse pills. I hated, HATED them. So once they were gone I started taking gummies. OMG. I love them. 

I also started the chocolate calcium chews, but I effing HATE them even more than the horse pills. The taste gets old FAST. Unless horrible-tasting Tootsie Rolls are your favorite candies, pass on chocolate chews! (Some like 'em, though.) But I seriously love my gummies. I just get the CVS brand.

• I take the NatureMade, plus a target brand DHA.  They are they only ones I've found that don't make me sick... it seems like it's different for everyone though :)
  • I have Ob Natal One. They are about the size of fish oil pills and are gel based. There is a coating that doesn't taste bad at all. I haven't had any side effects with them.
    PitaPata - Personal picturePitaPata Cat tickers
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"