Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

Not wanting to get out of the bath...

Any creative solutions to getting DD (16 months)  out of the bath without a meltdown?  Lately she has been LOVING her bath and having a big meltdown when I take her out.  She gets a bath every night and I've recently started putting her in the bath earlier so that she can have more time in there (although this is not possible every night).

Any good suggesting other than prying a screaming toddler out of the bath??!   

Re: Not wanting to get out of the bath...

• I go through this too.  DD will start a tantrum but I make sure her favorite toys (at the time), books, lovie, etc. are all set up in her room so when we go in there straight from the bathroom, she's more distracted.  I also have classical music playing and the lights dimmed - these tricks don't always work but sometimes they do.  good luck!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I have recently been having the same problem with DS.  What I have been doing, that has been helpful (for now) is I drain the water while he is still splashing away in the tub.  He thinks its hilarious that the water is going down the drain and once it's all gone he doesn't have any interest in sitting in the bath anymore.  It is also easier to get him out of the tub without fear that his squirming will end up with him falling into the water.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • So far we haven't had an issue getting out of the bath.  At the end of bath time, I ask DD if she is ready to get out and she starts scrambling to get in my lap.  It is something about the 'are you ready' that she reacts to.  Any time I ask her that (no matter the location), she knows its time for mommy to pick her up. 

Another thing DD does is take a bath toy with her when she gets out.  It is kind of a fun game deciding which toy gets to go.  Sometimes it is just one and other times she has two fists full.  For some reason she gets excited to take them with her.

We have plenty of other tantrums during the day - so I am happy they haven't made it to bath time just yet. 
  • imageschreibs4:
    I have recently been having the same problem with DS.nbsp; What I have been doing, that has been helpful for now is I drain the water while he is still splashing away in the tub.nbsp; He thinks its hilarious that the water is going down the drain and once it's all gone he doesn't have any interest in sitting in the bath anymore.nbsp; It is also easier to get him out of the tub without fear that his squirming will end up with him falling into the water.

This is what I do as well.
  • imageJuliaBug:
    imageschreibs4:
    I have recently been having the same problem with DS.nbsp; What I have been doing, that has been helpful for now is I drain the water while he is still splashing away in the tub.nbsp; He thinks its hilarious that the water is going down the drain and once it's all gone he doesn't have any interest in sitting in the bath anymore.nbsp; It is also easier to get him out of the tub without fear that his squirming will end up with him falling into the water.

Same here.
  • I say, "Do you want to read or do you want to go to bed?"

The answer is always read.  :)

Also, I DO let her play pretty much as long as she wants.  She doesn't have to get up in the morning, so it isn't a big deal to me if she plays in there all night.   

• imagemisskris927:
    imageJuliaBug:
    imageschreibs4:

Same here.

Us too!
  • We put music on during the bath, and it has been a good segue out of the bath. We start singing/clapping/swaying along to whatever song is playing. It's a good distraction that gets us through the not-so-fun part of getting diapered and dressed.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Drain the tub? Nobody wants to stay in a bath when they're cold!
    DS (7 years old) from FET in 2010
    DD (5 years old) from IUI in 2012
    TTC 3rd and final!: IUI #1 in progress!
  • We also drain the tub while he's still in there.  He looooves watching the water go down the drain and waving to it.  :)  When it's all done, he helps me put up his bath toys and then we have a whole routine of saying "Bye-Bye Bathtub.  See you tomorrow."  We wave bye-bye to the bathtub and then use his special hooded toddler towels and look in the mirror to point out the animal he looks like.  If I were to break said routine = meltdown. :)

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • imageMrsI:
    imagemisskris927:
    imageJuliaBug:
    imageschreibs4:
    Same here.
    Us too!

Haha, us too!  She doesn't like it when she is cold and wet and sitting in an empty tub :)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • DD doesn't like to get out of the bath unless I start doing something more interesting and then she'll almost climb out.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers PitaPata Dog tickers Screen Shot 2012-11-15 at 8.25.16 AM
  • Ugh, DD too. The water will turn cold and she STILL won't want to come out.  Sometimes I can get her to stand up on her own if I ask, "Should we go find Brody (our dog), or Dad?"  Or ask her if she wants some milk.  Those sometimes get her moving.  But then she doesn't want to be toweled off, she just wants to run around naked to find the dog.
  • imagemelissa0726:

imageMrsI:
    imagemisskris927:
    imageJuliaBug:
    imageschreibs4:
    Same here.
    Us too!

Haha, us too!  She doesn't like it when she is cold and wet and sitting in an empty tub :)

Same! 

BFP#1 11/10* DS Born via Cesarean 7/11* BFP#2 EDD 1/31/14 *M/C 6/13* BFP #3 RCS 3/14/14
    Brothers!
    "I wish that I could bake a cake, made out of rainbows and smiles. And we would all eat it and be happy." 
  • This is what I do. We say "Bye Bye Water" and unplug the drain.

imageschreibs4:
    I have recently been having the same problem with DS.  What I have been doing, that has been helpful (for now) is I drain the water while he is still splashing away in the tub.  He thinks its hilarious that the water is going down the drain and once it's all gone he doesn't have any interest in sitting in the bath anymore.  It is also easier to get him out of the tub without fear that his squirming will end up with him falling into the water.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I Bribe her and let her turn the bathroom light on and off ten times. She only gets to do it after bath.  She loves it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"