2nd Trimester

Recommend your moisturizer for your belly

I haven't bought anything yet, but figure as I grow, I should probably grab some belly butter.  Is ther a brand you recommend or ingredients I should look out for?
*** DS born February 21, 2013 - Toronto, Canada  ***
imageimage

Re: Recommend your moisturizer for your belly

• I have been using the Mamma Mio Belly Butter 2x per day. I also got the Mamma Mio belly oil that I use once per day, just cause I like to go nuts. I spread the belly butter on my tummy, breasts, bum and upper thighs.

I love them so far, they smell divine and my skin is nice and moisturized and not itchy. Of course I am only 14 weeks, so I don't know how many stretch marks they would have prevented by now (though I know lotions and oils really can't prevent marks), but I haven't gotten any. The reviews are great on Amazon, so that's why I chose this brand.

• imageMollusksWrangler:
    I just use coconut oil with pure vit E added to it. I just mix it myself. But my skin is sensitive to most lotions.

This! I rub this on my boobies, belly, butt and thighs everytime I take a shower. When I'm in a pinch I use Vaseline brand cocoa butter lotion.

• Loading the player...
  • palmers cocoa butter...its awesome. i didnt get stretch marks the first time around and i like to believe my lotion worked!
  • I just bought some Bio Oil today, haven't used it before but I figured it's worth a shot.
  • I am using Burt's Bee's Mama Bee. I love it. They also have a cream for your legs that is rosemary and peppermint I think. It smells great too.
  • Mother's Special Blend Skin toning Oil is my favorite even before pregnancy but when I can't afford it I use Trader Joe's Vitamin E oil. My skin is really sensitive too, very dry, and I can barely use soap without breaking out.

Also, on a side note, I had horrible stretch marks after puberty (before I found Mother's Special Blend) and heard some plastic surgeon recommend Crisco to remove stretch marks. After about 8-12 months using the Crisco all of the redness and a most of the marks disappeared. No one can see that I have the ghost of stretch marks unless they are looking hard for them. Good to know for the future!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My MIL works for a dermatologist, and she gave me some Bio Oil. I only use it overnight though. As for the rest of the 10 times a day I lather my bump, I use cocoa butter or Mama Bee Belly Oil.
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • I use Palmer's cocoa butter lotion, it's thick and feels so great on my skin when I rub it in :).

• I've been through a bottle of Palmer's and half of a bottle of Bio Oil, and I'm back to the Palmer's... I just didn't like the greasiness or the smell of the oil =/ Both made me break out as I have sensitive skin, but the oil was worse. I still use the oil occasionally, but now I am using Palmer's with Shea butter, and then the concentrated Palmer's cream on the spots I have stretch marks on. I have only gained 10lbs, I hydrate and exercise, I had few marks during puberty and my mom had very minor stretch marks herself, yet I still saw them forming at about week 16 (boobs & hips). They've grown a touch since then, and I have moisturized 1-2 times every day after showering =/ I tried!!! I had faith!!! I'm going to keep using Palmer's in the hopes that it lessens the severity... but with all of that said, my belly and boobs still itch like crazy. I can't win =/

Archer Liam - 2/6/13
    Freya Lillian - 11/15/15
  • First baby I used Coca butter 3 times a day through the pregnancy. It worked pretty good but I wanted to try something a bit different this time. Right now now I'm using Palmer's Tummy Butter and really love it. Its not greasy like some lotions (its like a hard pack in short, wide jar.) I just use it at night right now but in the next month or two as I really start to get big I'm sure I'll be using it 3 times a day.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  •  

Not to burst anybody's bubble or anything, but stretch marks are completely a result of heredity and not affected by lotions or creams. How quickly they fade after childbirth is also just heredity/skin type. Some people get stretch marks during pregnancy, some don't.

I'm not going to knock the lotions, because they definitely help with the itchiness, but don't expect them to prevent or reduce stretch marks. I used Palmer's religiously with my first child, because my belly was so itchy, but I had stretch marks like nobody's business. Fortunately, they faded after the birth. And of course, now they're coming back again. :-)

BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Bio oil!! I used it with my DS, I only got a few stretch marks ( hardly visible to anyone else ) after I had him--which is when I stopped using it. This time I started to see some and quick started using bio oil and they already gone / very very light. I swear by it! 
  • I use a combo. Most of the time I used Belly Butter from Burt's Bees, but I also have a cocoa butter roll-on stick from The Body Shop that I use if I forget. I keep it right on my nightstand. I love them both!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageSouthernMom70:

Not to burst anybody's bubble or anything, but stretch marks are completely a result of heredity and not affected by lotions or creams. How quickly they fade after childbirth is also just heredity/skin type. Some people get stretch marks during pregnancy, some don't.

I'm not going to knock the lotions, because they definitely help with the itchiness, but don't expect them to prevent or reduce stretch marks. I used Palmer's religiously with my first child, because my belly was so itchy, but I had stretch marks like nobody's business. Fortunately, they faded after the birth. And of course, now they're coming back again. :-)

On the advice of a dermatologist and an obstetrician, I'm going to believe them when they say that it can help and it can reduce the amount of marks. They are caused by stretching and well lubricated skin will not stretch as badly. You're right it is hereditary as all skin issues are, like acne and such, but you can help yourself with lubricating and moisturizing your skin. Doctors orders! 

• I just use a big ol' tub of straight shea butter. It's really thick and a little goes a long way!

View Full Size Image    View Full Size Image

• I've been using Bio-Oil after every shower...basically slather in it then hang out in my robe.  It's my mini spa treatment!  Lol 

• I use Johnson's Baby Creamy Oil (that's what it's called, which I think sounds a little strange).  It's a mix of cocoa and shea butter.  It smells great, and is really rich but not greasy.
  • I haven't started rubbing stuff all over yet, but last pregnancy my OB told me to use olive oil for the itchies.  It worked well, so I'll probably use it again.  You can't prevent stretch marks though. :(  It's a bummer and genetic.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Palmers. I use the lotion after I shower and DH loves rubbing the cocoa butter on my belly at night.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I use the Palmers cocoa butter for stretch marks. They have a massage lotion, tummy butter, and body milk for stretch marks.. You just massage it into areas that you would get stretch marks ex belly and thighs. It has vitamin C, collagen, elastin, and shea butter in it to help reduce apperance of stretch marks and is also dermatologist tested.
    BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I was really worried about stretch marks because I got them pretty bad when I was a teenager going through growth spurts. I used Mustela double action stretch mark cream and although it was expensive I got not one stretch mark. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • imageSidraJedi:

...but when I can't afford it I use Trader Joe's Vitamin E oil.

I have some of this but am afraid to use it then put clothes on. Has it ever stained any of your clothes?? 

• I have been using Bio-oil, it worked amazing with my first pregnancy and with my second I am already at almost 8 months and no stretchmarks! I highly recommend!!
  • I use Palmer's cocoa butter with Vit E oil.  I like it better than the butter because the application is easier and I was told that oil moisturizes better than lotion/butter and is better for prevention. I have both, but prefer the oil. And this brand isn't sticky like you would think oil would be. I was worried it would get everywhere (clothes, etc), but it's really nice.
  • OMG!!! The same thinq happend to me i used that lotion durinq my whole pregnancy two too three times a day n i never scratched any my belly or boobs or thighs n i qot strech marks EVERYWHERE yuhh can thinkk of butt ive been usinq the belly butter the spray n the massage lotion n the ones on my boobs r qoinq away now all i need is the ones on my thighs n belly all toqether & yuhh should try it too butt dnt expect them too qo away over niqht i mean i had too use all of those three thinqz n three times a day for three monthes until i findally seen them qoinq away
  • true datt!! i use three kinds of lotions three times a day n i still have strech marks EVERYWHERE!!! butt some r beqqininq too fade away &jzt hope all of them do=(
  • imageSouthernMom70:

Same thing happened to me and it definitely has to do with heredity although keeping moisturized inside and out I'm sure will help make your skin as elastic as it can be.   I used cocoa butter from the 2nd trimester, onward - covered in stretch marks but they were never painfully itchy and they didn't stay bright red or dark brow - faded to silver really quick.    

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• I love It Works stretch mark cream. They sell the body wraps. All of their products are amazing. After one body wrap I lost ALL my stretch marks from my first baby. Now I use the stretch mark stuff while I'm pregnant with #2. My tummy doesn't have a mark on it. O. And when I got all my stretch marks last time I was using bio oil. Twice a day. Every day. Expensive and useless. 
  • Bio Oil smells lovely.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I used cocoa butter or bio oil in the mornings. And Vaseline ALL over at bedtime. Thighs butt boobs hips/back belly. It keeps your skin moisturized longer than lotion and some of the oils that just absorb into your clothes. I could still feel how soft my skin was in the mornings and it doesn't have a strong smell like the cocoa butter does. My boyfriend wasn't too thrilled about our bed smelling like that lotion so I switched to Vaseline at night ...not one stretch mark for me!
  • I never got itchy with DS. maybe because he was born in August and by the time my tummy got bigger the dry winter season was over?

I did not use any oil or moisturizer on my belly. I did not get any stretch marks. I think it's more genetics than anything.
     DS1 8/2011. DS2 8/2013.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"