February 2013 Moms

Is anyone getting the flu shot while pregnant???

I am almost 18 weeks pregant and this is a constant battle in my head...should I? Or shouldn't I? I've read a lot of pros and cons about getting the flu shot, so I'm undecided if I should get it. My hubby & I tried for a long time to get pregnant and I'm scared that I might end up having a miscarriage from the shot (which I heard has happened). But at the same time we are pregnant during prime flu season. I haven't had the flu in 9 years and I NEVER get the flu shot. So what should I do?

What are you ladies doing????

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Is anyone getting the flu shot while pregnant???

• My OB has advised me to go ahead and get it, and my doctor husband agrees that the benefits outweigh the risks.  I'm going to go ahead and do it - but I can understand following a different protocol or going with your gut on these decisions if you feel differently.
    DS born February 5, 2013

Need tips for surviving cat allergies? Check out my bio! :)

• I'm going to be asking my doctor on Thursday when I should get mine. It's better for you and for baby than not getting it. Also, the flu can be deadly to babies. If you get it when you're pregnant, your baby will have a lower chance of getting the flu in the time after it's born. (I just read this last week, but I don't remember where I saw it. Possibly the CDC website.)

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • I actually got mine last week.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I'm feeling the same exact way as you are and was going to post this question myself!  I have never had a flu shot before and the last time I had the flu was in 2002.  When I was pregnant with ds, I asked my doctor what he thought and his response was "It's totally up to you.  The flu in general sucks, and it sucks even more when you're pregnant".  lol.  I didn't get it because I was due in August and the majority of my pregnancy was not during flu season.  Worried this time though.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

BFP#1 - 11/27/09 EDD 8/5/10, DS1 arrived 7/24/10 via emergency c-section.

BFP#2 - 6/18/12 EDD 2/23/13, sweet baby girl born sleeping on 10/4/12 at 19 weeks, 3 days.

BFP #3 - 1/18/13 EDD 10/1/13, natural mc on 2/2/13 at 5 weeks, 4 days.

BFP #4 - 8/29/13 EDD 5/12/14, our sweet rainbow, DS2 born 4/29/14 via c-section

• I am definitely getting it.  When I was pregnant with my son, my doctor told me something that made me feel better about getting it:  the risks of something happening to the baby from the flu shot are less than something happening to the baby if you have a bad case of the flu.  Good luck with your decision!!

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My OB ordered it as part of my routine prenatal care. I got it 2 weeks ago...I was 15 weeks.

• I got my flu shot about two weeks ago, at my last appointment. My doctor highly recommends it, "for my pregnant patients especially." I just followed her advice...but now you have me a little worried!
  • The nurse gave it to me at my last appointment.  Of course she asked me first, but she said they strongly encourage it, as it will be safer for both me and LO.  I trusted them and got it last week, so far I have not encountered any problems!
     Image and video hosting by TinyPic      image
    View Full Size Image

• I got my flu shot at my last OB appointment. Honestly, I had not put much thought into not getting it since my doctor advised me to get it. I guess I trust my doctor a whole lot and believe he wouldn't do anything to put my baby at risk. However, you have to go with what you feel is right. If you are scared or think getting the flu shot will make you have more "anxiety" about complications then by all means don't get the shot.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Yes, absolutely and without any doubt. Everyone in our home is getting our flu vax this coming Saturday. We are only getting the injected (dead) virus - our HMO strongly recommends not letting anyone get the live vax if someone in the home is pregnant. 

It isn't just about keeping you from getting the flu, but also about being able to pass the antibodies for the strains you are vaccinated for on to your baby for temporary immunity through the season. The risks of getting the flu from the dead vaccine are extremely small, and the risks of spontaneous miscarriage resulting from the vaccine are even smaller. 

image  image

image image

*Spontaneous* OHSS diagnosed 08.06.2012
    Right ovary removed 09.04.2012 via vertical laparotomy
    Essure implant placed on remaining tube 06.13.2013; successful followup scan 09.30.2013

• Yes, I will.  I did with DS1 also.  Your LO can't get their vaccine until 6 months of age, so immunizing yourself will help protect them the rest of the flu season after he or she is born.

DS1: Quinn - 10.22.10 and DS2: Cole - 01.18.13

• I got mine at my 16w appointment. We also had trouble conceiving, so I totally understand your mindset. However, the advantages to getting the flu shot outweigh any possible disadvantages to me. This was only my 2nd ever flu shot, but I don't want to risk getting sick and possibly losing the baby (which did happen to a friend a few years back). The flu shot you get now will also help protect baby after they are born, when they are too young to get the shot themselves.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Its mandatory where I work (at a hospital) that we get it.  I talked about it with my OB first and she was thrilled that I was going to be getting it.  She told me that it will have no affect my little boy now and even when I breast feed the antibodies will then pass thru to him so he will be immune once he starts breast feeding.
  • I got it at my OB's office at my 16 week appointment. 
    Me: 35 DH: 37 TTC since 4/2010
    DX: 6/9/2011: Azoo ICSI/IVF only option for biological child
    IVF #1: ER - 9/26 * ET - 10/1 * beta#1 10/13 - 140 * beta#2 10/17 - 477 * beta#3 10/20 - 1101
    1st u/s at 6w6d - one hb * 2nd u/s at 8w3d - no hb detected 11/10/11 * natural m/c 11/13/11
    FET #1 Jan/Feb 2012 - 3 delays - cancelled 2/13
    FET #1.2 - May/June 2012 - ET 6/6/* beta#1 6/15 - 95 * beta #2 6/19 - 322 * beta #3 6/22 - 940
    7/6 1st u/s @ 7 weeks - one beautiful hb - released from RE
    EDD 2/22/2013
    PAIF/SAIF/PGAL welcome
    imageimageimageimage
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I got it last week.  I normally do not get it, but I would hate to risk hurting the baby if I got a bad case of the flu.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic BabyFruit Tickerimage
  • I got mine at my 16 week appointment. Also, my husband is an ER doctor and he didn't have anything to say that would keep me from getting it. 
  • I will get the flu shot. I have asthma, so I get it every year anyway. Talk to your OB about the risks so that you can make an informed decision. 
  • Thank you ladies! I've decided to go ahead and get the shot! Thank you for your advice!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Definitely getting the flu vaccination as soon as my office offers it, which should be in two or three weeks.  Pregnant women have been getting it for years.
    BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • I got mine at 16 weeks at the request of my OB.  For the record, I never get the shot but did for this pregnancy.
  • I got it last Sept when I was pregnant with DS. I plan on getting it again this time around. Last year was the first time I'd ever gotten it but the benefits do outweigh the risks. Honestly though if I weren't pregnant I don't think I'd get it. 
    ega Pictures, Images and Photos support our troops Pictures, Images and Photosega Pictures, Images and Photos Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I got mine last week at my OBs office.  She highly recommended but it is still a personal choice as to whether to get it or not.
  • No. I have never had the flu shot and neither has my husband or son.  I encourage you to do your research and feel comfortable with your decision.

The mist is a live virus and not recommended for pregnant women, I would also recommend talking to your care provider about Thimerosal and what vaccines they use. I would want to read the product insert. 

Here's a good resource. https://www.nvic.org/Vaccines-and-Diseases/Influenza.aspx

Also, the CDC estimates about a 60% efficacy rate for the flu vaccine . . . Preliminary data for the 2010-2011 influenza season indicate that influenza vaccine effectiveness was about 60% for all age groups combined, and that almost all influenza viruses isolated from study participants were well-matched to the vaccine strains.  https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/qa/vaccineeffect.htm

• imagemjr12:

I have never had the flu shot and neither has my husband or son.  I encourage you to do your research and feel comfortable with your decision.

The mist is a live virus and not recommended for pregnant women, I would also recommend talking to your care provider about Thimerosal and what vaccines they use. I would want to read the product insert. 

Here's a good resource. https://www.nvic.org/Vaccines-and-Diseases/Influenza.aspx

Also, the CDC estimates about a 60% efficacy rate for the flu vaccine . . . Preliminary data for the 2010-2011 influenza season indicate that influenza vaccine effectiveness was about 60% for all age groups combined, and that almost all influenza viruses isolated from study participants were well-matched to the vaccine strains.  https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/qa/vaccineeffect.htm

They won't give you the mist while prenant.  It will be a shot in your arm, and the virus is not active.

• Not me.  But for me every time I get the flu shot I get the flu.  So I'm not getting the shot.
    April 10 IUI BFN Sept 10 IUI BRN Feb 11 IVF hoping for a BFP! Feb 27 ER 28 eggs Mar 4 8 health eggs, 2 ET Mar 17 - Beta 180!! BFP!!! Mar 21 - Beta 1295!! holy cow what a jump Coming soon 1st Sono March 30!!! Crossing fingers for healthy stick bean(s) Mar 29 miscarry :( 6w 3d 2nd IVF July 2011 BFP July 2011 M/C 11/11/11 hate to say good bye again! Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers 3rd IVF 4/3/12 ER 46 eggs (holly cow batman) 40 mature, 36 fertilized 4/8/12 ET 2 AB put back 4/10/12 15 make it to FREEZE 4/22/12 Beta BFN 1st FET 6/7/12 Day we are going to put back 2. 6/21/12 BFP 1285 6/25/12 4780 I hope this time they stick!! Deaglan William welcome. My rainbow is finally here February 7, 2013
  • I did not last time, but will this time.  They expect the flu season to be a doozie here. 

Per my doc, once you are in 2nd tri, specific vaccinnes, like the flu shot, are safe.  So, I'm getting mine next week when they have a clinic to administer them in our building.

• Not me.  The low efficacy rate makes it seem worthless to me.  We take other measures in our house to stay healthy during cold and flu season.

• My OB advised me to, so my next appointment I am getting one. I hate them though, I always have some sort of reaction/flu like symptom
    imageimage
    Me:32 DH:33 Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Premature Baby tickers image image
    Mommy Graphics
  • I have never and will never get the flu shot.  If my OB ever "made" me get it, I would run away and find another OB.  If you never have had the flu shot and you have never gotten the flu, you have a strong immune system.  So why taint your immune system with a flu vaccine.  Don't let peer pressure sway you one way or the other.  You and your husband need to make the decision.   If you are eating healthy and you are taking proper vitamins and supplements, my personal opinion is don't do it.  But again, it's your body and your baby.  

And I encourage everyone to please do research about the flu shot or any shot/vaccine for that matter.  Don't just "go along with the flow" because everyone else is doing it.  And I'm saying this for both sides.   

• I was pregnant with DS2 during the H1N1 flu outbreak, my OB recommended that I get the normal flu shot and the new H1N1 flu shot at my 24 week appt, which I did. DS2 is a happy healthy little boy.

I will be getting a flu shot this year as well, I will ask my OB about it at my next appt. My OB only uses the mercury free shots for her OB patients

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Yes, I got mine at my last appoinment.  I do not usually get it but have gotten it during both pregnancies.  After listening to my doctor, I think the pros outweigh the cons and I would rather be safe than sorry while pregnant.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

My Usborne Books & More site: https://t3702.myubam.com/
    Buy awesome books for your kids, host an online party to earn FREE books, fundraise, or join my selling team!
  • I have been deabting this myself.  I have NEVER gotten the ful shot. Even having the flu 6 years ago (where I could not physically get up from the couch to pee and had to wait until my hubby got home from work to help me) didn't convince me to get.

That being said, I think I will do it this year just for the baby.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm definitely getting the flu shot and my doctor recommends it.  For me, he said the preservative free shot is preferable, but he said the regular flu shot would be fine and better than nothing. I get a flu shot every year and luckily have not had a bad reaction or gotten the flu.  Hopefully this continues. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Yes absolutely. I had influenza A the year I had my son (he was 18 days old) & I have NEVER been so sick in my entire life.

I fear the 104 fever, inability to eat/drink or do anything but sleep will harm baby more than getting the flu vax.

CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers
    1/1 Spotting, 1/3 beta 36,000, 1/5 u/s empty sac measuring 7w (9w5d), 1/6 d&c
    You will always be loved & missed our sweet angel.
  • I get it every year, including both years I've been pregnant.  I got mine about a month ago.  It helps protect the baby from the flu too after they are born, since they are too little for a shot.  You should get it.  I got the version without the thermisol (sp?) in it this year because of the baby.  Your body is more susceptible to viruses and whatnot while pregnant too.  I had a virus that included vomitting when I was nine months along last time and, trust me, you don't want that!  I am going to request a Tetnus/Pertusis booster at the hospital too...

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Yes, do it! I haven't heard of anyone recently having any issues with getting the shot, but lots of pg ladies end up in the hospital when they get the flu, especially H1N1. I got both the flu shot and the swine flu shot when I was pg with DS and never had any issues - I was even in the 1st tri then. Now we're well into the 2nd tri so I think it's even safer. Plus baby will be protected when they are born too.

• I will be getting it.  I work in Oncology as a nurse and it's required.  Even if it wasn't, I still would get it. 

Together since April 2004.  Married since June 19th, 2010.
     BFP #1: January 31st 2012: CP. 
     BFP #2: June 1st 2012, Due:2/8/13. Avery was born via unplanned c section on 2/13/13. 
     BFP #3: Sept. 25th, 2014. Due: 6/5/15.  MMC on 10/23/14. Confirmed complete molar pregnancy per D&C 10/29/14, 
    HCG officially negative 12/10/14.  Benched until June 2015.

• I always say no to the flu vaccine. I used to be paralyzed with GBS. You can get GuillainBarre Syndrome from it and I have know people that become paralyzed as well from it. Just don't go around nasty sick people, wash hands and have your baby shower in November : .
  • I got my flu shot. I am required for school/work, but also I wanted to give my baby as much immunity as I can, especially since our LO's will be born in the middle of flu season.

When you get your flu shot, make sure it is Thimerosal-free. Thimerosal is a preservative used in some types of flu shots that contains Mercury, which definitely poses risks to the fetus (and many believe may lead to Autism). Some states, like California, have laws prohibiting pregnant women from getting these types of vaccines, but most do not. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"