C-sections

Survey: What kinds of things were allowed during/after ?

Since I'm "lucky" (ha) enough to be having a scheduled C-section for my first baby, I'm trying to plan out as much as I can beforehand. I'm extremely scared of needles and hospitals and medical procedures, so I'm trying to see what kind of allowances I can get away with. It would be nice to know if some of these things are crazy and never allowed or if they would even be a possibility. Would love some feedback before I discuss these things with my doctor later this week. Thanks in advance!

Was your C-section scheduled or emergency?

Was your husband allowed to be there when you got your epi or spinal block? 

Were you allowed to listen to music (either via headphones or have any voice in what was played in the OR?)

Did they allow any cameras in the OR? 

Did they require both arms to be strapped down or perhaps would they let you leave one free?

How soon did you touch the baby? In the OR , in recovery, later?

How soon did you nurse the baby? In the OR, in recovery, later? 

DS1 : 10/2012
Due with B/G Twins July 2015

Re: Survey: What kinds of things were allowed during/after ?

• My C section was unplanned, but not truly an emergency.

My son was born in Germany, so things are different here.

I already had the epi, and my husband was present (placed during labor)

I didn't request music.

Cameras were allowed

Arms were free

touched him after maybe 30 min?

Nursed at about 30-45 minutes.

I was very specific that my husband was to be with our son at all times, even if he needed to go to the NICU. No bottles, paci's, etcs. If you want to BF and do skin to skin, tell them up front so they can give baby to you as soon as possible.

good luck!

b/w=FSH 15.6, AMH 0.4 surprise natural BFP on 3/12/11
    DS born via unplanned C-section at 40w6d

• Was your C-section scheduled or emergency? Unscheduled, but not like an omgwtf kind of situation either.

Was your husband allowed to be there when you got your epi or spinal block? I got the epi way earlier on in my labor and I asked him to leave then.

Were you allowed to listen to music (either via headphones or have any voice in what was played in the OR?) No. I didn't even think about it. I talked to my doctor and my husband the whole time so even if I had the option, I think I would decline music.

Did they allow any cameras in the OR? Yes. My husband took photos of DD right after they took her out.

Did they require both arms to be strapped down or perhaps would they let you leave one free? I honestly don't remember. I think they were free.

How soon did you touch the baby? In the OR , in recovery, later? In recovery.

How soon did you nurse the baby? In the OR, in recovery, later? In recovery.

Good luck! I know it seems scary, but I wouldn't change anything about my labor. If we were having more, I'd totally have an RCS. My experience was about as excellent as surgery can get.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • imageVegasbb:

Was your C-section scheduled or emergency? Unplanned, but not an emergency

Was your husband allowed to be there when you got your epi or spinal block? Yes

Were you allowed to listen to music (either via headphones or have any voice in what was played in the OR?) No, but I wouldn't have asked either

Did they allow any cameras in the OR? Yes, and they took it and took pics when DH freaked out and didn't!

Did they require both arms to be strapped down or perhaps would they let you leave one free? strapped down, hence my panic attack and the necessity for happy meds

How soon did you touch the baby? In the OR , in recovery, later? 5 hours later

How soon did you nurse the baby? In the OR, in recovery, later? I didn't nurse, but I wasn't allowed to feed her for five hours. Still bitter about that and the one above

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image image
  • Was your C-section scheduled or emergency?

Kind of scheduled... Due to reasons beyond my control, I went to the doctor on Thursday and had a c-section scheduled right then and there for the next morning. I never went into labor, but I certainly was note expecting the c-section.

No he was not in the room when I got the spinal. I was shaking so much a nurse had to hold me still. I was really scared, but it wasn't as bad as I thought.

Were you allowed to listen to music (either via headphones or have any voice in what was played in the OR?)

I did not listen to music, but I wouldn't have wanted to. They also didn't play any music in the OR. I've since heard that that was an anomaly, but I kind of preferred it that way.

Yes. We took PLENTY of pictures :)

Did they require both arms to be strapped down or perhaps would they let you leave one free?

I didn't have any arms strapped down at all -- not once the whole time.

I was able to touch the baby after they did all of the standard procedures; I would say less than 3 minutes after he was born.

I nursed the baby in recovery. My hospital is VERY pro breastfeeding so they like for that to happen as soon as you possibly can.

Scheduled- LO was breech

Yes, we walked into the OR and he never left my side. Many hospitals will have you walk into the OR, get the spinal, then bring H in.

Music was playing, but it was not my music. I want to say Rascal Flatts or something equally gag-worthy was playing Ick!

Yes. The nurses told H when LO was almost out so he could snap a pic, then we have lots of pictures of LO and I. This is probably a question for the nurses once you get to the hospital- some hospitals have policies regarding when and where pictures can be taken and your OB may not know.

I specifically asked to not have my arms strapped down. (The anesthesiologist is really who you would talk to about this.)

Semi-unrelated, but then the anesthesiologist came in to talk to me beforehand, I requested the lowest dose of drugs possible to start with, and no IV pain meds or anxiety meds unless I requested it- i have a very low tolerance for meds and wanted to be as "with it" as possible.

H brought him over about 2 minutes after he was out so I could kiss him. He stayed by my head until they were done closing me up and I could sit up enough to hold him.

In recovery- probably 20-30 minutes after he was born. ASAP!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • imageVegasbb:

Was your C-section scheduled or emergency? Scheduled

Was your husband allowed to be there when you got your epi or spinal block? No, he was brought in after my spinal

Were you allowed to listen to music (either via headphones or have any voice in what was played in the OR?) I didn't ask, I do not remember any music being played in the OR

Did they allow any cameras in the OR? Yes, still pictures only, no video taping the surgery

Did they require both arms to be strapped down or perhaps would they let you leave one free? My arms were not strapped down

How soon did you touch the baby? In the OR , in recovery, later? I held DS in the OR for a minute then he went to be weighed, we delayed bathing for several hours. He and DH were back with me in recovery within 5 minutes of me being there.

How soon did you nurse the baby? In the OR, in recovery, later? I nursed in recovery.

• imageVegasbb:

Since I'm "lucky" (ha) enough to be having a scheduled C-section for my first baby, I'm trying to plan out as much as I can beforehand. I'm extremely scared of needles and hospitals and medical procedures, so I'm trying to see what kind of allowances I can get away with. It would be nice to know if some of these things are crazy and never allowed or if they would even be a possibility. Would love some feedback before I discuss these things with my doctor later this week. Thanks in advance!

Was your C-section scheduled or emergency?  Both were unplanned.

Was your husband allowed to be there when you got your epi or spinal block? He was there during my first labor when I got my epidural.  I got my spinal in the OR for my second labor and DH wasn't allowed in until I was prepped.

Were you allowed to listen to music (either via headphones or have any voice in what was played in the OR?)  I payed no attention to music either time.  My doctor is awesome and chatted with us during both births.  We also chatted with the anesthesiologist.  Everyone made sure we were comfortable and calm and they did a great job at it.

Did they allow any cameras in the OR? Yes.  I have pictures of both girls coming out.  I have so many, I could make a flipbook of each birth.

Did they require both arms to be strapped down or perhaps would they let you leave one free?  I was never strapped down.

How soon did you touch the baby? In the OR , in recovery, later?  Both girls were laid on my chest and I got to hold them and snuggle them before they were taken to my recovery room with DH.

How soon did you nurse the baby? In the OR, in recovery, later? I nursed both girls within an hour of their births.  In recovery.  It took about 45 minutes for them to stitch me up and get me back to the room.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageVegasbb:

Emergency--LO heart rate dropped to 40 and wouldn't come up--less than 10 minutes later my baby had been delivered 

No 

There was no music playing.  Just anxious doctors/nurses talking 

I really have no idea.  I know that DH doesn't have any pictures from in the OR, but he didn't even make it into the OR until after LO was delivered. 

My arms were not strapped down, but I had to have them out to either side. 

I held the baby in recovery a little, but I was so shaky, I almost dropped her. She wasn't breathing in the OR so they took her out of the room quickly and DH went with them.

Later, as soon as we got set up in my room. 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers 
  • Was your C-section scheduled or emergency? All 3 c-sections (soon to be 4) have been scheduled.

Was your husband allowed to be there when you got your epi or spinal block? NO. He could not be in the OR with me until AFTER the spinal.

Were you allowed to listen to music (either via headphones or have any voice in what was played in the OR?) I never asked because this doesn't matter to me.

Did they allow any cameras in the OR? Yes, my DH had the camera.

Did they require both arms to be strapped down or perhaps would they let you leave one free? I've always had my arms strapped, and it doesn't matter to me.

How soon did you touch the baby? In the OR , in recovery, later? They put the baby by my face in the OR, but I'm not really "touching" or "holding" the baby until AFTER recovery.

How soon did you nurse the baby? In the OR, in recovery, later? AFTER recovery. Honestly, I've never had a problem BFing and I've EBF 3 kids so far......

image Mommy to Barbara 11/8/05, Elisabeth 5/13/07, Loukas 12/23/08 and Lazarus 09/25/12
  •  Ask your obgyn about some of these things prior to the delivery. I talked about my concerns and she made sure what I wanted that could be safely done was accomidated.  Good luck with your c-section. I had a wonderful experience and will have a repeat c-section in the future if I get pregnant.

Was your C-section scheduled or emergency?  scheduled

Was your husband allowed to be there when you got your epi or spinal block?  yes, but he is a surgeon and worked at that hospital, I do not think it is standard procedure for them to be allowed during this. Ask your ob.

Were you allowed to listen to music (either via headphones or have any voice in what was played in the OR?)  I would not have wanted to. I wanted to here what was going on.  I doubt you would be able to wear headphones. Anesthesia will ask how you are feeling through out the case.

Did they allow any cameras in the OR?  Yes

Did they require both arms to be strapped down or perhaps would they let you leave one free?  Both arms free

How soon did you touch the baby? In the OR , in recovery, later? In the OR, about 10 mins after he was pulled out. Dh had him while I was being closed.

How soon did you nurse the baby? In the OR, in recovery, later?  I recovered in my room, I left the OR with the baby in my arms on the bed and nursed when we got to the room. Maybe with in 45 mins of delivery.

Emergency due to severe pre eclampsia at 34 weeks 

Yes my husband held me up through the whole epi 

I didn't ask, not sure how this one would go

Yes DH took pictures of the whole procedure, I mean the WHOLE thing, things I didn't want to see after!

I had both strapped down, they let one up so I could touch DD

How soon did you touch the baby? In the OR , in recovery, later? How soon did you nurse the baby? In the OR, in recovery, later?

I touched DD in OR, then she was in NICU for 4 days due to being born at 34 weeks.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I want to add that I never wanted a C-section and was so scared of the epi.

The epi was painless and the c-section was great, recovery was so fast and I was up and around the same day. I know it is not ideal but once it is over Im sure you will think it was a breeze to!

Scheduled

He was in another room, they told him to wait outside.  I don't know what they would have said if I asked for him to be there. 

Not sure, didn't ask

Yep, DH had my camera and I held on to my Iphone the whole time.  The nurses were laughing at me. 

My arms were free. 

They took him out, showed him to me and then took him over to the table to clean him up, get his vitals, APGARs, etc.  He had gotten stuck and it took them a lot longer to get him out than it should have, so they had to work on him a little bit.   They stitched me up (maybe about 20 minutes) and then rolled me into recovery where they handed him over to me and tried to get me to nurse him. It all seemed so fast, but in all honesty, it was probably more like 20-30 minutes before I held him, plus, I was pretty drugged up so I don't remember everything exactly.

Recovery, see above.

photo IMG_2317_zpsa2789747.jpg

All three were scheduled.

No for all three.

No, but for my youngest daughter I was happy with the music that was playing... Beethoven's 5th.  

Yes for all three, a still camera, but you couldn't take pictures until the baby was out.

Free for all three.

As soon as they figured out they were ok they let me touch them for all three.

First two were in recovery.  The third was over 2 hours later.  That will NOT be happening again this time if I have anything to say about it.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • I've had 2. First was unplanned, second was planned. With the first, my husband was there when my epi was placed, during labor. With my second, he was asked to wait outside the door of the OR, while they placed my spinal. With my first there was no music in the OR. With my second I was asked if I wanted it. Neither time were my arms strapped. I held both babies, with DH's help, in the OR and nursed as soon as we were in recovery. Also, my husband was allowed to stand up to watch baby come out and cut the cord both times so if your DH wants to you can ask about that as well.
  • imageVegasbb:

Not really an emergency, but had it after pushing for just under 4 hrs. 

No. 

IDK, I was so exhausted and out of it that I didn't give a hoot what if any music was playing. 

My DH took a pic of DD on the warmer with his phone 

My arms were free 

After she was wrapped up, DH brought her over to me.  They stayed there while I was closed up. 

Recovery 

• Was your C-section scheduled or emergency?scheduled Was your husband allowed to be there when you got your epi or spinal block? no Were you allowed to listen to music (either via headphones or have any voice in what was played in the OR?)yes Did they allow any cameras in the OR? yes Did they require both arms to be strapped down or perhaps would they let you leave one free?no strap.  both hands free How soon did you touch the baby? In the OR , in recovery, later?second day How soon did you nurse the baby? In the OR, in recovery, later? later 
  • Was your C-section scheduled or emergency? Unscheduled, but not emergency.

Was your husband allowed to be there when you got your epi or spinal block?   Yes.

Were you allowed to listen to music (either via headphones or have any voice in what was played in the OR?) I wouldn't have wanted to.

Did they allow any cameras in the OR?  No.

Did they require both arms to be strapped down or perhaps would they let you leave one free? I don't remember.

How soon did you touch the baby? In the OR , in recovery, later? In recovery, an hour later.

How soon did you nurse the baby? In the OR, in recovery, later? In recovery, an hour later.

• Was your C-section scheduled or emergency? It wasn't scheduled but it wasn't emergency. I was in the hospital for an NST and they found I was in labor at 36weeks.

Was your husband allowed to be there when you got your epi or spinal block? No, he came in right after.

Were you allowed to listen to music (either via headphones or have any voice in what was played in the OR?) I didn't ask.

Did they allow any cameras in the OR? We weren't planning on having a baby that day, so all we had were our iphones. They didn't have any problems with my husband taking pictures with that.

Did they require both arms to be strapped down or perhaps would they let you leave one free? Neither of my arms were strapped down.

How soon did you touch the baby? In the OR , in recovery, later? In the OR

How soon did you nurse the baby? In the OR, in recovery, later? We tried in recovery.

BFP #1 6/21/08 natural m/c 7/4/08 BFP #2 10/3/08 blighted ovum discovered 11/5/08 D&C 11/13/08 dx with hetero MTHFR 1/7/09 BFP #3 7/1/09 DS born 3/7/10 BFP #4 1/27/10 DD born 9/4/11 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Scheduled

He was not allowed to be in the room for that.  He's afraid of needles, so given the option, he would have stayed outside anyways :)

I'm not sure, I didn't ask or really want to.

Definitely cameras in the OR.  Our anesthesiologist took pictures of my husband w/ the baby on the way to the warmer.

My arms were free, from what I remember.

I got to see him right after they cleaned him up & did the standard stuff - probably 5-10 min.

I nursed later.  I saw him for about 2 min. because he had breathing difficulties & was brought to special care.  After I was done w/ recovery, they brought me to special care and that's where I tried to nurse him, but he couldn't keep his oxygen up.  Once he was cleared to be off oxygen, he nursed, and it was fine.

I will definitely have a RCS, it was a super easy recovery for me.  I guess I can't speak for everyone, but it's not as scary as it sounds or people (who have never had one) make it out to be.

• imageVegasbb:

Was your C-section scheduled or emergency? Emergency this time will be scheduled

Was your husband allowed to be there when you got your epi or spinal block? DH was kicked out for my epidural

Were you allowed to listen to music (either via headphones or have any voice in what was played in the OR?) I didn't ask it wasn't something I wanted or cared about.

Did they allow any cameras in the OR? We had our camera and video camera. The anesthesiologist took pictures with my camera while DH controlled the video camera. We had our first family photo while I was on the OR table.

Did they require both arms to be strapped down or perhaps would they let you leave one free? Both of my arms were free. I held DD within a few min after she was born.

How soon did you touch the baby? In the OR , in recovery, later? DH brought her to me after they suctioned her. I held her while still lying on the table and they took our picture. After that she was brought back to me in recovery. About a 30 min lapse.

How soon did you nurse the baby? In the OR, in recovery, later? She was taken to the nursery while I was stitched up and moved to recovery. I was then in recovery for a little bit before they brought her back. About a total of 30 min and then she was given to me and we BF'd right then and there. No issues.

• Was your C-section scheduled or emergency? sort of an emergency--DD's heart rate dropped after I got the epidural (for external cephalic version at 39 weeks)

Was your husband allowed to be there when you got your epi or spinal block? yes

Were you allowed to listen to music (either via headphones or have any voice in what was played in the OR?) don't know, didn't ask. i don't think any music was playing.  I remember my doctor and the anesthesiologist talking to me most of the time

Did they allow any cameras in the OR? I think so. I am pretty sure DH took some pics on his phone as soon as DD was born

Did they require both arms to be strapped down or perhaps would they let you leave one free? both my arms were free

How soon did you touch the baby? In the OR , in recovery, later? in the OR

How soon did you nurse the baby? In the OR, in recovery, later in recovery
    DS born 8/8/09 and DD born 6/12/12.
  • Was your C-section scheduled or emergency? scheduled

Was your husband allowed to be there when you got your epi or spinal block? no, he was brought in right afterwards

Were you allowed to listen to music (either via headphones or have any voice in what was played in the OR?) I didn't ask, so I have no idea.  It wasn't important to me.

Did they allow any cameras in the OR? we were allowed to bring in the camera, but no videography was allowed.  And DH wasn't allowed to take pictures of the actual procedure, just of the baby right after he was born.

Did they require both arms to be strapped down or perhaps would they let you leave one free? neither of my arms were strapped down - DH held one hand, and the anesthesiologist was holding the other (the arm with the BP monitor, etc, on it)

How soon did you touch the baby? In the OR , in recovery, later?  I was able to touch the baby in the OR, and would have been allowed to hold him while they were stitching me up, except they were concerned about his breathing

How soon did you nurse the baby? In the OR, in recovery, later? in recovery, once they were confident he was breathing well on his own - about 1.5-2 hours after the surgery. 

Neither - unplanned but not emergency.

Yes. But they did it in my room during labor. If I was scheduled, he wouldn't have been allowed into the OR while they did it.

I don't know, didn't ask. I was not interested in music after 23 hours of labor and 4 hours of pushing.

Yes.

Both free.

They brought her to me in the OR for a kiss. Then she went to recovery with DH. I was there within a half hour and got to hold her then.

In recovery about a half hour after birth.

imagePregnancy Ticker

It wasn't an emergency, but it wasn't planned until the night before. DS's growth US the 5 weeks before my DD were showing him to be a huge baby, and I am not a big girl. I wasn't making any progress, and with the last growth US he had reached the "optional c-section" size so I went with it. They called me that night after the US and told me to show up to the hospital at 5 am the next morning.

He was asked to wait in the hall, I am not sure if they would've allowed him if we had asked, but I didn't care either way.

I have no idea if it would've been allowed, but that was not something I was interested in.

Yes, they tell my husband pictures only, no video. We have video. Wink

My arms were strapped down.

DH brought him over for me to kiss him once he was cleaned off.

Later. They gave me medicine before my CS for my itchy belly. We had arrived at the hospital at 5 am, and due to an emergency CS, mine was pushed back a couple hours, I was literally crying and ripping skin off from scratching so much. Because of that medication, the pain meds did not help, and I was given the max dosage of at least 3 different pain killers. I didn't even want to hold my child because I was in so much pain. I did hold him for a little while, but I don't think I nursed him until at least a couple hours later.

^^ I only went into so much detail in case anyone has the same issue. I wish I would've declined the medication for the itching, because by the time I was able to go to my PP room, I was so stoned my eyes were rolling back in my head from all the pain meds. I don't remember a lot from that first day TBH. 

VOTE on my Name List Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I had mine done in Spain and they do things very differently

Was your C-section scheduled or emergency? Unexpected as the baby was oblique and back to back. After 8 hrs of labour he hadn?t decended so a C/S was the only way out for him

Was your husband allowed to be there when you got your epi or spinal block? No he wasnt allowed to be there for the epidural and that really upset me. I was in so much pain that I really needed him with me. He was not allowed to be present during the csection either. That came as such a shock. I could not believe that I had to go thru it all alone and for the first time during it all I started crying.

Were you allowed to listen to music (either via headphones or have any voice in what was played in the OR?) No music of any sort was not allowed.

Did they allow any cameras in the OR? No cameras were allowed.

Did they require both arms to be strapped down or perhaps would they let you leave one free? Both arms were strapped down

How soon did you touch the baby? In the OR , in recovery, later? I was shown our son just after delivery but did not get to hold him till over 6hrs later even tho there were no health problems with him.

How soon did you nurse the baby? In the OR, in recovery, later? I had no idea how to nurse and didn?t get any help till the next day after delivery. But I did try as soon as I got to hold him.

DD1 was emergency. DS and DD2 were scheduled.

No. Boo.

I never even thought to ask!

Yes. I was told no video, but we got photos. They even took a few for us while we held the kids.

With DD1, I had them strapped down. Then with DS and DD2, I had a birth plan where I asked to NOT have them strapped, and they obliged, but I did have to keep them down during the surgery.

I think I touched DD1 when I was leaving recovery (she went straight to the NICU). I held her at 16 hours old.

I held DS and DD2 right after they were born, for a minute or so each, while my arms were free during the c/s.

They both then went to the NICU, and I held DS next at 2 days old, and DD2 at 3 days old.

I don't even remember when exactly I tried nursing DD1. Sometime on day 2? She was on a glucose IV and not eating.

I never nursed the other kids, but I fed them formula on day 2, I think (for DS) and on day 4 (?, for DD2). All these days get mixed up in my mind. I can look up the dates from photos, but my point is, it was a few days after birth, not the same day. They all had trouble and were in the NICU (on CPAP, on glucose IV, etc) so they didn't eat from a bottle until later.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    imageimage
    imageimage

- Technically scheduled, but with only about 18 hours notice. I went to my routine 37 week appt and they determined that my fluid level was too low.  I was sent to the hospital immediately and C-section scheduled for the next morning. 

- No, but it happened so quickly that I really didn't mind/notice his absence.  He was outside the surgery suite talking to my OB, and my nurse was in the OR with me talking to me while they did the spinal. 

- I didn't ask about this. 

- Yep.  My husband has photos of DD coming out of the incision. 

- My arms were both left free. 

- They brought the baby to me in the OR.  As soon as she was removed, the OB held her up so I could see her.  She was then taken to a little table where DH was able to trim back the umbilical cord and watch the nurses asses her, wipe her off, etc.  My husband brought her over to me within a few minutes. I was shaking a lot and don't remember touching her with my hands, but I nuzzled her face with my cheek and cried a lot :) 

- In recovery.  She was brought to me as soon as I was ready... probably 15 minutes after they finished closing my incision?  (I'm honestly not sure...  adrenaline makes the time move differently!)  DH stayed with her in the nursery with the nursery nurses until my nurse paged them that we were ready for her.   My nurses were great... I really didn't feel at all like they were keeping her away from me, just that they were giving me an opportunity to make sure I was ready for her (they waited for me to stop shaking, let me have some ice chips, gave my pain injection, etc before bringing her).

• Was your C-section scheduled or emergency? Emergency

Was your husband allowed to be there when you got your epi or spinal block? No, but he was right outside the door and said he could hear me talking and everything.

Were you allowed to listen to music (either via headphones or have any voice in what was played in the OR?) It was an emergency Csection... we didn't have time for that, but I had originally a scheduled one and they didn't say that was allowed.  I was only in there for 15 or 20 minutes, there was no music and I didn't want to miss that cry.

Did they allow any cameras in the OR?  It was an emergency so we had to snag my MIL who met us there and they let us take pics but i'm not sure about video.

Did they require both arms to be strapped down or perhaps would they let you leave one free?  I was honestly so out of it but I believe both arms were strapped down.

How soon did you touch the baby? In the OR , in recovery, later? I didn't get to hold or touch my baby  (besides when they bundled her up after her assessment) for about 36 hours b/c she had to go to the NICU but my husband got to see her right after and later that night.  I just couldn't get down there b/c I wasn't allowed to move.

How soon did you nurse the baby? In the OR, in recovery, later?  In the NICU, I believe it was about 5 days after birth.

BFP 6-29-10; EDD 3-10-10; Missed MC @ 10wks on 8-12-10; D&C 8-13-10
    BFP 11-24-10; EDD 8-5-10; CP @ 4wks on 11-27-10
    BFP 12-22-10; EDD 9-2-11 Baby girl born Aug. 15, 2011 via emergency c-section
    BFP 9-5-12; EDD 5-20-13; Missed MC @ 8 wks on 10-9-12; D&C 10-10-12
    BFP 1-7-13; EDD 9-20-13; PRAYING WE GET TO BRING THIS BABY HOME! BabyFetus Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
    Scheduled

No.  He was there when my epi was put in during my vaginal delivery, but wasn't allowed in when my spinal was being put in for my c/s delivery.

I didn't ask or try.  I was breathing very loudly and trying to just focus on that sound.

Yes.  My DH has pics during my c/s.  He was supposed to only have pics of the babies, but he has even gory pics of my belly. 

Mine I don't believe were strapped down.

As soon as babies were checked out they were given to DH sitting next to me.  I was able to kiss them and look at them while I was being stitched up.  If I remember correctly, I think they rode with me on the bed while I was being wheeled back to my room.

I know I nursed them within the first hour.  They'll be 3 in December so the details are a little fuzzy.

From what I understand, the anesthesiologist runs the OR, so I would prepare for everything and ask when you get in there. 

GSx1 - 05/13/2013
    GSx2 for T&B - EDD 6/21/2015 - They're having a GIRL!

babybaby
    BabyGaga
  • imageVegasbb:

Was your C-section scheduled or emergency? Emergency

Was your husband allowed to be there when you got your epi or spinal block?  yes-i was just in labor at the time

Were you allowed to listen to music (either via headphones or have any voice in what was played in the OR?) no, no time for that

Did they allow any cameras in the OR? yes, only for after the baby was out

Did they require both arms to be strapped down or perhaps would they let you leave one free? both arms were strapped

How soon did you touch the baby? In the OR , in recovery, later? recovery, about 45 minutes later

How soon did you nurse the baby? In the OR, in recovery, later? recovery, 45 minutes later

BFP 12/19/08- DS born 8/25/09 9lbs2oz via Zavanelli Maneuver
    BFP 8/26/11- Missed miscarriage discovered 10/19/11 at 11w2d, measured at 9 weeks gestation w/ no HB. D&C 10/21/11
    BFP 3/17/12 at 12dpo CP 3/21/12
    BFP 4/23/12 at 10dpo Stick my little one! Beta #1: 83.3 @ 13dpo Beta #2: 197.7 @ 15dpo
    Our little man is getting bigger every day!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    My BFP Chart
  • Was your C-section scheduled or emergency? Not scheduled, but not really an emergency either. Dr. just determined he was definitley not coming out on his own after 24 hours of cervidil, pitocin, & having my water broken.

Was your husband allowed to be there when you got your epi or spinal block? I had an epidural about 12 hours prior to the c-section which he was present for. The epidural was removed & spinal performed once in the OR and DH was not allowed in at that time.

Were you allowed to listen to music (either via headphones or have any voice in what was played in the OR?) I didn't ask. That was the last thing on my mind.

Did they allow any cameras in the OR? Yes but no pictures could be taken of the procedure. I didn't want DH to be the one to take pictures because I wanted him to comfort me lol so our nurse actually jumped right in and took pictures for us, I was so grateful.

Did they require both arms to be strapped down or perhaps would they let you leave one free? I don't think my arms were strapped, they just asked me to lay them out (as if flying) and I don't think I could feel them anyhow.

How soon did you touch the baby? In the OR , in recovery, later? DH held the baby next to my face after he was cleaned off & checked by pedi since he made a bowel movement while still in the uterus. I held him immediately after going back to my room but I honestly do not remember it... just have the pictures.

How soon did you nurse the baby? In the OR, in recovery, later? The next day because I was so out of it. I had a major headache and weak. So make sure you tell them up front what your wishes are. Do you want to try and nurse? Do you want to be left alone to rest? They had DH bottle feed him and I started nursing next day. Not sure if it's linked but DS never latched well.

Anniversary
  • Was your C-section scheduled or emergency?  2 unplanned (well, second one was planned but he showed up early).

Was your husband allowed to be there when you got your epi or spinal block? spinals--no

Were you allowed to listen to music (either via headphones or have any voice in what was played in the OR?) didnt ask/didnt want to

Did they allow any cameras in the OR? again, didnt ask/didnt want to

Did they require both arms to be strapped down or perhaps would they let you leave one free? both were completely free

How soon did you touch the baby? In the OR , in recovery, later? they took the kids out, cleaned them up a little, wrapped them up and gave them to my husband who then put them down by me so I could see/touch them

How soon did you nurse the baby? In the OR, in recovery, later? in the recovery room;  not sure how much time elapsed;  for me it felt like seconds, DH said it was longer :-)

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • Was your C-section scheduled or emergency? 1st was emergency 2nd was scheduled but I went into labor 36hrs before

Was your husband allowed to be there when you got your epi or spinal block?  No they brought him in after

Were you allowed to listen to music (either via headphones or have any voice in what was played in the OR?) Didn't plan and didn't ask

Did they allow any cameras in the OR? I had to sign a waiver stating no pictures but the OB I had allowed still photography (no videos though)

Did they require both arms to be strapped down or perhaps would they let you leave one free? Our hospital requires both arms be strapped

How soon did you touch the baby? In the OR , in recovery, later? With my first c-sec I got to give her a kiss while DH held her in the OR then I held her while in recovery. With my 2nd c-sec my baby had to be in the NICU due to oxygen issues so all I got to do was give her a kiss in the OR and they took her away for 7.5hrs

How soon did you nurse the baby? In the OR, in recovery, later? I didn't nurse but our hospitals allows you to start right in recovery

• emergency

I'm not sure. I already had an epi from trying to deliver. I was in OR before DH, he had to wait, not sure if this is when they were hooking me up more. He came in when they were ready to start. They did tell me if I have to be put under, DH has to leave

They had a radio 

Yes to cameras, said can't take pictures of the surgery. DH got a picture of DS as soon as he was out

Both my arms were strapped

touched baby in recovery

nursed in recovery

BFP #1 on cycle 19, 6/13/09, blighted ovum discovered on 8/3/09
    BFP #2 3/1/10 yay for seeing the baby and seeing hb at 6w! Found at on 4/26/10 that the baby had stopped growing at 7w
    BFP #3 11/19/11
    Baby Boy Bruce born 7/21/12
    Check out my blog!
  • Was your C-section scheduled or emergency? My c/s was unscheduled. I was induced, labored for a little over 24 hours. The baby wouldn't drop. I wouldn't go past 6cm, his HB was getting weird, so we did a c/s.

Was your husband allowed to be there when you got your epi or spinal block?  Yes. But I did it when I first hit 6 cm while I was still laboring. I doubt they would have let him stay in the OR for the spinal. But honestly, I would have been put under if I hadn't already had my epi (because of a platelet issue I was having).

Were you allowed to listen to music (either via headphones or have any voice in what was played in the OR?) The doctor had music on in the OR. I didn't ask to change it. I probably wouldn't even have noticed if my husband didn't point it out.

Did they allow any cameras in the OR? Yes. We have a zillion photos from the OR, including one of the doctor pulling my son out of me.

Did they require both arms to be strapped down or perhaps would they let you leave one free? My arms were not strapped down.

How soon did you touch the baby? In the OR , in recovery, later? They handed me my son about 5 minutes after he was born. I had GD and pre-e, they had to do some basic tests before I could hold him. But I did hold him before I went to recovery & him to the NICU (for 2 hour observation as required by the hosptial when a GD/pre-e baby is born early).

How soon did you nurse the baby? In the OR, in recovery, later? I can't help you here, I didn't BF.

• My surgery was planned, baby was breech.

My husband was allowed to be in the OR when I got my spinal but I think that was because my husband is a surgeon at this hospital and thus they gave us some special "privileges".   He was not however able to hold my hand or anything while I got the spinal, he had to sit towards the back and just watch.  They want to make sure you don't move at all so they have someone else, either a nurse or another doctor, hold you while you get the spinal. Immediately after the spinal is placed I was laid back on the table and disrobed and scrubbed from my knees up to my breasts and a catheter was inserted.  Truth be told, even though my hubby is a surgeon and sees this happen all the time, I really would have rather he not see me in that manner. I felt like a spectacle on display being rubbed down and probed and found it rather humiliating.  I had a vaginal birth with my first and my husband watched everything and that didn't bother me in the slightest but him seeing me get prepped in the OR really bugged me.  If I could do it over again I would not allow him in the OR until they were ready to start the surgery.

We didn't ask about music but there was something playing lightly in the background, I have no memory of what it was.  I was focused on talking to the doctors, my husband and then as soon as my baby came out I had tunnel eyes/ears only for her.

Yes, they allowed cameras.  My hubby took several pics and the OR nurse took pics for us also.

My arms were not strapped down but they felt like the weighed 1000 lbs and so I just kept them on the arm boards for the most part.

The baby had to stay in the warmer for 5 minutes immediately after she was born and then they brought her over and laid her on my chest for a few minutes.  It was honestly awkward and I was afraid I was going to drop her so I only kept her there a couple minutes and then had my husband just hold her. The baby did join me in recovery and that was awesome.  We just snuggled quietly and I nursed her for the first time there.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Mine was scheduled.

Husband was not there when I got my epi (but he was right outside the door waiting to be let in).

I did not request music (I don't remember anything being played) - DH and I were talking until they announced they were getting son out - then he stood up to watch.  My mom was also in the room and she watched the entire thing.

Cameras were allowed - but we didn't bring one in.

Both of my arms were strapped down.

As soon as they finished clearing the baby's lungs they unstrapped one of my arms and laid the baby on my chest (while they were stitching me up).  DH carried baby to the room and placed him the "baby docking station" where the dr  & nurses finished examining him (right in the room with me - took maybe 10 minutes) then he was back in my arms.

DS was only out of my room for his circ and when I requested it (like when I took a shower).

BabyFetus Ticker BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

I have had 1 emergency and 1 scheduled c-section

With my emergency c-section I had an epi already due to being in labor prior to that. Yes. DH was allowed in the room. However during the c-section no one was allowed in the OR as it was emergency. With my scheduled c-section DH was not allowed in the OR until after I had my spinal and was all hooked up.

I don't know, I wanted to hear everything.

We had our digital camera in the OR. DH was not feeling well and so the nurses took some pictures for us.

I never asked to have anything changed. I had both strapped down, it did not bother me.

With DD, my emergency c-section it was 4 hours before I got to see her and hold her. DS I got to see him and kiss him right in the OR. However he had some breathing issues so he was taken to the NICU with DH.

DD I got to nurse her 6 hours after I had her for the first time. DS as soon as his breathing was under control, about an hour or so after his birth.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"