Two Under 2

Two Kids, One Bedroom?

I've never posted on this board before. Actually, I never knew it existed. lol. I have a daughter that just turned 1 on Sept 11th.. and I'm due on March 8th. (About 18 months apart). They will be sharing a bedroom for now and I'm a little worried about it.

DD never slept in our room (and I don't want the little one to either). DD has slept in her crib for 12 hours a night since she was a week old.

My question is, how do the little ones sleep when the baby wakes up crying? I'm concerned that when the baby wakes up, that he/she will wake up DD too, and I may have a hard time getting DD back to sleep. Any of you have experience with this? Issues or no? I'm probably worried about nothing, but I'm welcoming suggestions/comments if anyone has any. TIA :)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Two Kids, One Bedroom?

• I would get white noise machines (or more than one, even) and a fan to muffle the noise for your older child.  I haven't had mine sharing rooms but our house is small, and white noise is key.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagehocus:
    My kids don't share but I'll tell you in our small apartment they certainly could hear each other but don't seem to wake each up at night day time sleep is a different issue. I would get a very loud sound machine and remain flexible. It may make sense for your newborn to sleep in the living room for a few weeks until you get your grove sorted out. I don't think you'll end up with two kids that STTN at 1 week. :

I don't think so either. I always said I got lucky!! Thanks.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • My girls share a room. They have since DD2 was 3 months old. I was worried about them waking each other (DD1 was prone to frequent night wakings) but much to my surprise, it never was much of an issue. We use a white noise machine, too, so I'm sure that's helped.

Still, we did have a backup plan, just in case. We set up DD2's pack n play in the living room and we've used it on occasion - like when we wanted to do CIO with DD2 without risking waking DD1.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersimage
    imageAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    Farewell, nesticle, you will be missed
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • None of my kids have slept through the night as well as yours. We always keep the baby in our room until they sleep several hours at night and then move them. If I put the baby in the room after the older child feel asleep things went pretty well.

I had three under three. I was able to put the oldest and youngest in the same room when he was a few months old, but my second child never slept very well and was a very light sleeper and once awake was a bear to get back to sleep.

So, I think it depends on how well your kids sleep and if they are light sleepers or not.

• My two share a room, and it took a few weeks to get the routine down, but it is fine now.  I put the baby (8 months) down before my 4 year old.  I read my 4 year old her books in the living room.  By the time the baby is asleep we creep into the room, I tell her 2 stories quietly, and all is well!  My 8 month old still wakes up at night, so I just rush to her quickly before it wakes the older one!!
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers PitaPata Dog tickers Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"