Babies: 3 - 6 Months

Rice/Oatmeal question

My LO is EBF. At her last appointmen we got the green light for rice or oatmeal. I have decided that I want to make all of her baby food and I understand that the first stage of food is for practice but the DR suggests to mix either the rice or oatmeal with formula instead of BM. I explained that with my older LO I mixed with BM and the Dr says that BM does not have all the nutritional needs that formula has. I call BS. We are in a practice that will rotate DR's if they are full for appointments so I didnt see my LO's pediatrician. I have an email into her now. Has anyone ever heard of that?

Re: Rice/Oatmeal question

• I was told to use BM. I don't understand why formula would be better. I agree with you seems like bs.
  • Maybe it was because I wanted to try to grind the oatmeal and rice myself? Maybe because their is iron in the formula? I dont know. My last had a horrible reaction to 3 different formula's at 7 months and I really dont want to try and find a suitable formula match for DD2 while trying to introduce solids.

• Loading the player...
  • imagererasmom10:

My LO is EBF. At her last appointmen we got the green light for rice or oatmeal. I have decided that I want to make all of her baby food and I understand that the first stage of food is for practice but the DR suggests to mix either the rice or oatmeal with formula instead of BM. I explained that with my older LO I mixed with BM and the Dr says that BM does not have all the nutritional needs that formula has. I call BS. We are in a practice that will rotate DR's if they are full for appointments so I didnt see my LO's pediatrician. I have an email into her now. Has anyone ever heard of that?

Your Dr said that, really? I would contact your pedi, but I'd almost leave the practice completly.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • If a Dr told me that formula was more nutritious for my child than BM, I'd be finding a new doctor. In my opinion this speaks to his level of intelligence, or lack thereof.

Also, the rice/oatmeal suggestion is a tad outdated. Many pedis now suggest skipping it altogether as it is hard for babies to digest.
  • My doctor also told me something to this effect....she said that it's recommended that BF babies start taking an iron supplement around 4 months if they don't start eating the cereals. WTF? I pretty much ignored that. Maybe it has something to do with the formulas being fortified with extra vitamins and minerals, but I still personally believe breast milk is all the nutrition my baby needs. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • That is the most ridiculous BS I e ever heard, WHO suggests to EBf for the first year. That's the World Health Oeganization. You need a new pedi. :p I used BM the first time I tried rice cereal. The reason I don't suggest it is that it makes it almost impossible to feed! Lol BM has the enzyme lipase that helps to breaks down fats fir energy making the cereal VERY watery. The longer it sits the more watery it gets! We made a MESS the first time. Haha :
    Pregnancy Ticker IAmPregnant Ticker Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • That doctor is an idiot, no way in hell is formula better than BM. We got the green light to go ahead with cereals, but we'll probably skip it. Avacado's are a great 1st food packed with nutients and healthy fats so we'll start with that and then transition into yellow veggies, and so on. And we'll probably wait closer to 6 months, but I'm still toying with the idea of starting it now since she shows a lot of interest in food.

DS#1- 7/2002

DS#2- 6/2004

DS#3- 9/2007

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• your dr is an idiot.

i'm not sure why they would say that- the only thing i can think of is because you are grinding it yourself it doesnt have the iron in it and formula might.

still, a lot of peds say skip cereals now so that can't be right

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"