Babies: 6 - 9 Months

Solid food

At what age did you give baby solid food? What was it and did the pediatrician recommend it? 

Re: Solid food

• DD was 5m3w and her first real breakfast was scrambled eggs, toast with butter and jam and a sausage patty.  She LOVED it and ate a lot of it.  Pedi didn't say it was a problem after the fact.

DS was 6m and had meatloaf and sauteed zucchini for dinner then watermelon.  Again, my pedi says there's no reason to delay any food beside honey. 

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• We were told to watch out for salt - that the kidneys can't handle it this young, esp prior to 9 months.  I imagine a sausage patty would be full of it.  That's my concern about solids is the sodium content.  And of course, the honey due to the botchulism. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • My pedi wasn't concerned.  That one sausage patty in the grand scheme of the whole day was not a problem.  My DS had bacon, egg, and 1/2 a roma tomato today.  My guess is you'd be concerned about the bacon too.  My pedi isn't.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• 4 months on the dot.  I gave him everything I could find. 
  • I'm also not one of those people who think the pediatrican is God.  LOL!

Glad your LO is enjoying the food.

• You ladies are aggressive with the food'! K started rice cereal at 6 m now onto pured squash peas will be next

I won't introduce meats which will be blended till 8 mo
    Kingsley Kennedy Wolff born March 16, 2012!!!
  • our pediatrician told us when to start but at 6 months and we started with veggies so she would not be hooked on sweets that come from fruit and cereal. good luck
  • i didnt do much by the books..rice cereal in the bottle at 2 1/2 months (yea i know not supposed to) whatever my son was a big boy and the milk was not filling him... by 5 or 6 months i did the gerber stage 1 foods and also introduced the soft spout sippy cup...his pediatrician was fine with everything i was doing and also my mom is a nurse who works with babies
  • This post makes me think of how things have changed so drastically since I was a baby and how cautious we are now.  I remember my SIL doing the one veggie per week/no fruits thing a few years ago w/ my niece and nephew and my mom laughing.  She loves to point out that she started giving me solid foods almost immediately (grits, eggs, etc.).  But hey, she also had my ears pierced in the hospital!  
    IAmPregnant Ticker
  • When the baby starts to say bears and pedos. For example:
    asd
  • ccababyccababy member

Just read a GREAT article on this: https://www.dinneralovestory.com/this-just-in-babies-eat-food/

Basically, the premise is: Babies eat food! So it details how to start your baby on eating solids/real food without the worry. 

• imageJAM828:
    Wow. This is a really old thread. Lol.

I was just thinking that.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • It is recommended to start at 6 months old. Baby could face some disadvantages later on if you start earlier. You can find here the proper solid food for each age and some specific recommendations for you : https://goodmomming.com/ Hope it helps you! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"