Stay at Home Moms
Options

What do you like most and least?

What do you like most and least about being a SAHM? I am considering leaving the workforce and would love to hear some opinions.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: What do you like most and least?

• Options

Love most - getting to spend so much time with my LO - watching him grow up without feeling like I am missing something.

Love least - 1. not having the extra money coming in means we really have to pinch pennies right now, and 2. spending all my time with my LO means I dont' get a lot of time to interact with adults and I miss/need that sometimes, but I am trying to work on that.

• Options

Most- Oh gee, I love being a SAHM. I like being the one that DD is with most of the time and I like freedom to go and do what I want. By that I mean, I don't work so if I want to go to Story Hour on Thursday instead of Wednesday I can. Or if I want to go do some work at the church for a few hours I can just bring her and get things done.

Least- I live in an apartment. I don't have enough room for all of our stuff so things aren't as organized and clean as I would like them. I am sure this issue will eventually resolve itself as soon as we buy a house but for now I'm in cramped quarters with too many toys!

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Most-being with LO all day and getting to be the first to see all of those milestones. Also being able to do things with other moms and having time to get house stuff done and not cramming it in on the weekends.

Least-Not getting enough "me" time. Just uninterrupted time for myself. I would also add having to be "money conscious" and giving up "wants" of my own (like a new car) in order for our budget to work.

• Options

Most? Same as PPs. I love that I get to spend so much time with my little guy. That he knows I'll be the one to get him up from his naps and that will feed him lunch. And, I love that I don't have to report to someone if I need to take vacation time to fly home for a week or if I have an appointment I need to schedule.

Least? I've struggled with the lack of adult interaction. Despite going to a couple mom's groups and getting together with other mom friends as often as possible, the day-after-day isolation from in-depth adult conversation has left me feeling mentally exhausted at the end of many days. I love talking to my husband and spending time with him when he gets home, but sometimes you need to have someone else to talk to besides him and the lady at the grocery store checkout. I miss the breakroom chats sometimes. 

Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Photobucket
    Caleb Jonathan
    Born November 30, 2011

The Winking of an Eye
    A blog about the mommyhood, wifehood and lifehood of a misplaced Minnesotan in SoCal
  • Options

Most? I love the freedom.  I can go grocery shopping, park, playdates, etc during the day instead of rushing to get it done after work or packing our weekends with activities.

Least? Lack of "me" time is probably the biggest for me..  And, having the extra spending money to buy wants instead of needs.  I'm much more cautious of what I spend money on because it takes longer to replace it with only DH working.

• Options

I love the time- we very rarely have to rush to do anything, whether it be laundry or leaving the house. If we see a bug, we can stop and look at it for 3 minutes because we have time. 

Least- the constant constant being needed. It's a little hard for me. 

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options

Most-Like everyone else has said, being able to spend time with DD. Even though she's mostly just interested in eating and sleeping right now, I've already been able to see changes in her and I love it! I'm really looking forward to when she's a little older and I can start taking her to the park or story time at the library. 

Least-There's really not much I don't like! The biggest thing would be having "me" time. I find myself running down the road to the store for the littlest things in the evenings when DH is home-just so I can be by myself. And not having an extra income-but it's worth it to me! 

• Options

Having the time to do just about anything. I mean being a stay at home mom..our "job" never ends. But I would think working out of the home would be a bit more difficult. Not saying it's harder then a SAHM but you have to manage your time better. If you think of it you have to work and then on top of it come home and do all the things a mom needs to do. Being a stay at home mom my house stays pretty damn clean, THEN I still get to play and do school things with my child. Also I was able to become a room mom, join the PTO, and join a moms club. And still be able to have time for my husband and my own personal hobbies. It's fun and I never want that to change

least Not bringing in my own money. Which don't get me wrong I see what my husband brings in as our money and we make more then enough but I would feel like the stress would be taken off of him if I helped. He doesn't see it that way...he thinks that no matter what he would be stressed.

• Options

For me the monotony gets old. It isn't exactly rocked science and I miss being able to use the intellectual parts of myself sometimes : )

But that being said, I am very grateful that I don't have to work. I can't even imagine how hard that would be. Taking care of the house and the kids takes up all of my time. Trying to squeeze a job into the mix too would be very difficult for me. Working moms are rockstars!

I love the freedom we have during the day. Nothing makes me feel more at ease than having nothing on the calendar for the day.  

Married 07.07.07. Mom to 3: Ruby 11/08 and Oliver & Austin 12/11
  • Options

Love: the obvious, staying at home with my son, watching him grow, not missing anything, not having to take him to daycare and pay someone else to watch him. 

Least Love: lack of money, sacrifices on things we can spend money on, less dinners out/dates out, lack of "me" time, no "breaks" like I had when working (ie:no such thing as lunch breaks, etc.)

Honestly, with everything there is pros and cons.  What works for  me, may not work for you.  I'm willing to go without alot of things, including letting go of certain shopping habits/hair dye/purse obsession/starbucks addiction, etc.  I'm willing so it doesn't bother me.  Some of my girlfriends say they wouldn't ever be able to do that and still be "happy".  I love being a SAHM, but its not exactly how I thought it would be and sometimes I'm stressed more than when I was working.  But for me, its worth it!

• Options

Most:  Seeing DD go through all the stages and changes and getting to be the one that witnesses all of her "firsts" as she grows up.  And not having to be on anyone's schedule but our own.  I'm so thankful we don't have to rush around on the weekends doing chores and errands since I can get those things done during the week. Weekends are all about fun time with DH and visiting family, it's awesome!

Least:  Feeling lonely and not getting enough "me" time.  Even when you meet and make other SAHM friends, it isn't always easy to get together when your kids are on different schedules.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options

Love most: Seeing first hand all of their milestones and always being the one that there for them. The community I have built up with other stay at home moms. 

Least: Never getting a break. LOL.  My DH is gone a lot, though so if he worked 9-5 I imagine I would have a different 'least.' 

• Options

I love everything most people said of course. I love the MOST the spontanious moments I have with the boys.  The silly things I catch them doing together or making each other laugh, random cuddles and kisses, and the inside language and jokes we have together.  I feel I know them so well, and I know there will be a time when I don't know them at all, so I treasure it. I also love how we can spoil DH.  We leave him chalk messages on the walk way, greet him at the door, drop by his work with cookies etc...

I don't like living on a tight budget.  We could do so much more and I could buy so much more for them if we had more income. It sucks but I try not to dwell on it and focus on all the good stuff.  Our needs are met, we are secure, and material things will come later.

Natural M/c 12/13/08 at 8w5d 

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Most: it's my passion. I've never had a job that I loved as much as I love this.  It has hard days of course, but I've never doubted my decision. Not once.  I love setting our own schedule.  I love that I get to be the one to teach my kids things and to see them do (most) things for the very first time.  Call it selfish, but I love that no one else spends as much time with my kids as much as I do. I love that if I want to take them to the park at 2 o'clock on a Tuesday or 6 o'clock on a Friday, I can.  I love that I don't have to take time off of work to care for them when they're sick, go on family vacations, or plan a birthday party.

Least: Well, most of the things on my list are in my control, I've just been lazy about it.  Like, I wish I had newer clothes-- but I lack motivation since I stay at home.  I don't get my nails done like I used to and I'm not as motivated to get my hair done as often.  I miss having friends at work who are older than 2.   I miss driving the car with no one whining for a book or a cup or a toy. 

But the "mosts" on my list FAR outweigh the "leasts".

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers natural miscarriages- 12/18/07 & 2/18/13 (AKA:KRISTA555)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"