Stay at Home Moms

sweet potato fries

do you use store bought (what brand?)

or make your own (how?)

Thanks!!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: sweet potato fries

• I usually make my own, because they're so easy. I cut them like steak fries and leave the skin on. Then I drizzle with olive oil and toss with kosher salt, garlic powder, and cumin (I'll add some cayenne if I want them spicy). Then I put them on a cookie sheet and bake them for about 20 minutes at 425 or so, depending on how thick they are. It's good to turn them halfway through.

If you want something more kid-friendly, you can toss them with a little cinnamon and sugar and then serve them with applesauce for dipping.  

• They're easy to make but I'm lazy so I usually just buy them lol.  Plus DD has this waffle fry obsession right now...

We usually get the Alexia brand fries. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • imagewifeofaussie:

They're easy to make but I'm lazy so I usually just buy them lol.  Plus DD has this waffle fry obsession right now...

I always get those too, if I want french fries. They're so yummy, but I hate that I pay so much for such a small bag. 

• imageMrs.Hizzo:
    imagewifeofaussie:

They're easy to make but I'm lazy so I usually just buy them lol.  Plus DD has this waffle fry obsession right now...

I always get those too, if I want french fries. They're so yummy, but I hate that I pay so much for such a small bag. 

Ugh, I know!  There are coupons for them in the Sunday Select once in a while but even then they're overpriced.  Once the morning sickness ends I'm going back to scratch.

• I buy the Ore Ida brand, and season them myself. I put them in a bag with some olive oil, cumin and Dude Dust (Garlic type seasoning) and some minced garlic and shake the bag up!  Then bake them, or put them in a grill pan and stick them on the bbq!

They are yummy!!

Renee- 37 DH - Chad - 39
    2/06 - surprise pregnancy - twins
    3/06 - m/c 1st baby at 6 weeks 
    5/06 -2nd baby had no heartbeat at 14 wks.
    D&E - Bled out. Blood transfusions. Week in ICU - Cheated Death!
    Diagnosis: Blood clotting and bleeding disorder, immune issues, & cervical stenosis
    5/10 - 1st IVF cycle - BFN
    FET - 10/12/10 - BFN
    1/11 - IVF with PGD - BFN
    IVF - May - BFN
    6/11 New RE - fingers crossed!
    9/11 - IVF - 4 transferred
    10/13 - BFP!!
    It's a boy! Clint Michael, Due in June!!!

• The Alexia ones are good (waffles, julienne, chipotle.)

The best trick I have found for making them crispy if you make them homemade, is to toss in a little olive oil, then lightly coat them in potato starch. (Corn starch should work too.)  It kind of carmelizes the outside.  Yum :-)

big brother 5/30/10  *  cp 4/27/12  *  little sister 2/25/13

• We sometimes get the ones from Costco, but they have a funny after taste. Usually we make them at home, but I've had some getting them crisp. Cooking them at a higher temperature and using egg and flour seems to help. Here's my recipe... 

Ingredients:

500g yams (or 250g/person)

1 tbsp egg white

1 tbsp honey or brown sugar

2 tbsp olive oil

salt & pepper to taste

dashes each of cumin, cayenne pepper, and sage

optional: 2-3 tbsp flour (we did!)

Preheat the oven to 400 F. Wash the yams and slice them into large fry-shaped pieces, leaving the nutritious skin on. Toss the fries with the egg white, sugar, olive oil, salt, and pepper. Use the spices to taste. Add the flour if you like a little bit of a battered texture. Up to you!

Grease your baking sheet and spread the yam fries out so that there?s as little overlap as possible. If they are too close they?ll stick together and not cook evenly.

Bake for 20 minutes at 400 F, then remove from the oven and stir them to ensure even baking. Bake for another 20 minutes and remove from the oven.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

• I buy the Alexia brand. The spicy chipotle ones are AMAZING.
  • I buy alexia brand. They often have online coupons that I match with target coupons, so I typically get them for $2+ off per bag.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I buy the big family size bag of Alexia regular ones. Both my kids and myself gobble them up in no time what so ever!
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers 

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Blogging about boobs, babies, bed lust & everything in between since 2007.
  • I buy whatever is on sale, LOL! 

"Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life?...But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own." Matthew 6:26-27&33-34
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"