October 2012 Moms
Options

Cost of child care by state

By now I'm sure we are all aware of these costs, but here's an interesting article about the price of putting kids through daycare.  There is a chart of the least affordable states at the bottom of the article.  Also if you click on the states graphic, you can then click on your state to see where you rank.

Even though I'm aware of the cost where I live, I was still surprised at how infant day care was compared to and often higher than the cost of a year of in-state college tuition. 

D & R were born at 37w5d.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Cost of child care by state

• Options
    Yay for living in Masschusetts. Effff me.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    yeah... this also doesn't take HCOL vs. LCOL areas into account since it's an average.  DH and I are looking at paying 15% of our income in a state where it's ranked at 11.6% because we live in a HCOL area.  ugh...  I don't like seeing those numbers.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I always just assume NY is the highest cost of everything in the country by default.

(in this case this is true by a landslide)

• Options

imageDottyBlue:
    yeah... this also doesn't take HCOL vs. LCOL areas into account since it's an average.  DH and I are looking at paying 15% of our income in a state where it's ranked at 11.6% because we live in a HCOL area.  ugh...  I don't like seeing those numbers.

So true.  Where we live in Phoenix it's expensive, especially with 2 coming, it will cost 15% of our income to send our boys to daycare full time.   

• Options
    I'm really surprised the DC metro area isn't on there.  We'll be paying just under $3000 for a 3 year old and an infant.  Wohoo! 

• Options
    imagelady dixneuf:

I always just assume NY is the highest cost of everything in the country by default.

(in this case this is true by a landslide)

So true. Although NJ is cheaper, it depends where you are. We looked at jersey city and Hoboken since we both work in the city, and it was almost $800 more a month than down by us - and we are only about an hour outside the city.  

BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    imageprojectbaby2012:

imageDottyBlue:

So true.  Where we live in Phoenix it's expensive, especially with 2 coming, it will cost 15% of our income to send our boys to daycare full time.   

it's funny, I think of places like Phoenix as cheap!

it's all relative tho. 

• Options
    imagelady dixneuf:
    imageprojectbaby2012:

imageDottyBlue:

it's funny, I think of places like Phoenix as cheap!

it's all relative tho. 

Compared to NY it is cheap.  It's not cheap for us because we are having 2 babies, at the same time, so I'm not really comparing apples to apples.  2 infants in day care cost more than our monthly mortgage payment, but probably less than your monthly rent payment.

My BFF just moved to Manhattan and I'm so sad about the timing.  With 2 kids in tow, it could be a couple of years before I brave a cross country flight to see her.  NYC is incredible. 

• Options
    Wow, I was honestly expecting Missouri to be much lower than it is.  Who knew?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

NY is amazing until you spend $4.50 on a tall/small starbucks pumpkin spiced latte like I just did. That said, I don't have a car and don't pay for gas (but subway really does add up)

it's so insane.

who was bitching about SC being high cost of living? I feel like that term gets thrown around whenever convenient. 

• Options
    Our daycare is $265/week for kids until they're potty trained, but you get marginal discounts if you have multiple kids in the center.  When I go back to work if we have our 2 year old and the baby in the daycare, and if they provide after school care for our 5 year old, we'll be paying $590 a week.  We're considering getting a nanny because it's a little less expensive.  We live in Michigan.
  • Options
    Wow so expensive... I don't think I could have a child if I'd live in the US... Where I live the cost is 35$ per week...
  • Options
    Yay Minnesota! We are only 0.3% behind New York! 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Oct Angel Babies
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"