3rd Trimester

What kind of hospital freebies do you get?

This is probably more for S+TMs, but what kind of stuff from the hospital do you get for free? I know there are mesh undies, bulb suckers, pads, etc....but any "fun" stuff? =) My hospital told me that when I pack my bag, to leave quite a bit of room for stuff from the hospital. 

Also, how many blankets do they give your LO to take home? 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: What kind of hospital freebies do you get?

• Only bulb suckers, diapers (what was left in the bag) and wipes.  The linens, including the receiving blankets, were specifically off limits.
  • 4 receiving blankets, hat, shirt, diapers, 2 pacifiers, aspirator, spray bottle (for the mama) and a bag with the name of the hospital on it. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • My hospital gave me 3 or 4 blankies (we took them home one each day for the dog to sniff at), 2 tops, 2 hats, the mesh undies, pads, breast pads, lanolin (2 or 3 small tubes), petroleum jelly, 2 pacifiers, the rest of the bag of diapers, a hand breast pump, water bottle/jug and bag w/ hospital name on it. I think i took some of the face masks also b/c it was cold & flu season.
  • Diapers, wipes, a 6pk of premade formula (dh had to give ds a bottle while I was in surgery and recovery for my tubal), tons of tubes of vasaline for DS circ, nose sucker, some shampoo, a goody bag that had more dipes/wipes, a nice book, an ice pack and some breastmilk storage containers in it. We also got a few knit hats and a really cute homemade burp cloth. For me I got pads and mesh undies. It wasn't much or fancy..just the stuff that we had opened and started using.
    DD1 October 2008
    DD2 October 2010
    DS September 2012
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Daisypath Halloween tickers
  • Every hospital is different so you might want to ask your local board or other local mamas. With my first they gave me a ton: baby bath, toiletry samples, diaper bag, nice receiving blanket, diapers, wipes, aquaphor, champagne glasses that said its a girl, sitz bath, cleaner spritzer thingy, mesh undies, pads galore... Gosh so much stuff!

I don't expect a fraction of that from my current hospital.
  • I agree with PP, it totally depends on where you live and even which hospital.  With DS, we got all the standard stuff (open diaps, wipes, two blankets, 6 pre-made formula bottles, mess undies and pads for me, peri bottle, nose sucker, binky, two hats, side snap t-shirt w/ hospital's name on it) but not much else.  Just a goodie bag from the formula company with a bottle and some powder formula and a book from the hospital about baby's first year.

My sis who delivered in the same town, but a diff hospital got way more fun stuff like a bath tub and a fancy swaddler - similar to what PP mentioned.  Plus the night her son was born they brought a candle light steak dinner in for mom and dad.   

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

image imageimageimage

• In the bag they gave me, there were peri bottles, pain-relieving spray, cotton swabs, bulbs, a thermometer, pads for the bed, giant maxi pads, mesh underwear, and some pamphlets. We also got a Halo Sleepsack and we grabbed all of the diapers they had laid out for us before we left.
  • Here we get nothing! Not even diapers!!!
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  •  I love how people actually think this stuff is free, it isn't. Believe me, either you or your insurance is paying for it! Hospitals are a business like any other. They don't stay in business by giving away free stuff.
  • imageGypsyEsq:
    Only bulb suckers, diapers what was left in the bag and wipes.nbsp; The linens, including the receiving blankets, were specifically off limits.

This. Except we also got to keep the little hat.
  • All of the blankets, hats, etc. used on LO were sent home with us in addition to diapers, wipes, nasal aspirator, mesh undies, formula samples, coupons, water jug, tubes and other random stuff for nursing because DS was having a hard time, peri bottle........
  • imagesadsadie:
     I love how people actually think this stuff is free, it isn't. Believe me, either you or your insurance is paying for it! Hospitals are a business like any other. They don't stay in business by giving away free stuff.
    Yes Someone is paying for it.  I don't feel guilty for taking the stuff offered for that reason.  I pay quite a bit in premiums and deductibles so might as well get my money's worth.

With DD I got 3 or 4 receiving blankets, a diaper bag full of goodies, various lotions and potions, a cheapie manual breast pump, diapers, mesh undies, a sitz bath kit, and a few other items.

DD 12/20/99, DS 12/14/12, M/C 9/2014, M/C 1/2015

• When I had DD1 3.5 years ago here's what I got, things might have changed since then, I don't know: 

For me:  Nice water bottle with the hospital's name on it, a bag, mesh undies, regular pads, ice pads, slipper socks with grippers at the bottom, a suringe to clean myself with, all sorts of breastfeeding things

For DD1:  diapers, wipes, formula, shampoo, nose suction thing, knitted hat that volunteers make, and a receiving blanket (not sure if I was supposed to take the receiving blanket, but I took one home) and a package from one of the formula companies with free samples and a botle bag and ice packs.

I was told if it's not glued down take it because insurance is going to be charged anyway, and they can't use anything they give you for another person, so it just gets thrown out anyway.  We also took a container of the hospital antibacterial hand sanitizer they kept outside every door in the hospital - it's moisturized and amazing. 

I'd take a couple extra bags, for all the stuff they're going to give you, and the flowers/ballons/gifts, that you may get sent to the hospital.

• Pads, mesh underwear, Tuck's, Dermaplast, sitz bath, leftover diapers and wipes, aspirator, and  a hat.  They reuse the shirts and blankets.
    imageimage
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagesadsadie:
     I love how people actually think this stuff is free, it isn't. Believe me, either you or your insurance is paying for it! Hospitals are a business like any other. They don't stay in business by giving away free stuff.

This.

I grabbed what was left in our room except for the shirt, hat and blankets.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Honestly I think it just depends on your hospital.
    BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary photo 09a19b84-ff26-4a5d-8334-d53d5b67861d_zps1875aa4a.jpg photo 23150a8a-e416-48cd-ac19-ec0eeb7aaac0_zpsf9de68c0.jpg
  • I've delivered at 4 hospitals in 2 states.  The things they always sent home were the hat they put on after the baby was just born, whatever diapers and wipes were left in the bassinet drawers, if the baby was formula fed or supplemented whatever of that was left in the room, whatever pads were left, nasal aspirator, thermometer, comb, baby soap and lotion, diaper cream, a peri bottle, and a formula company gift bag.  Twice I received a hand knitted hat.  Twice I got a little dishpan that they bathed the baby in.  Three times I got the breast pump supplies that could also be used as a hand pump.  Once I got two snap front shirts and 3 receiving blankets.  Once I got a diaper changing mat.  Once I got a really cool thermal cup with a straw.  The big thing is, don't count on the hospital to supply what you need.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • With DS, we got some extra presents because he was born on New Years Day. We also got a few diapers they would fill the bassinet, so there were only a few left when we were leaving, the nasal syringe, a soothie pacifier, a couple knitted hats, and one blanket we snuck this out to introduce the smell of the baby to our cats a day before we came home. For mom, a couple pairs of mesh panties, pads, samples of lanolin cream, the rest of the can of tucks and the numbing spray.

Lilypie - (A6Jy)

• Our hospital gives us tons of great baby freebies, but there are 2 "fun" things that stick out to me. The first is that daddy gets to keep his scrubs and they stamp LO's foot and hand prints on his chest. The other is a candle lit steak and lobster dinner (and champagne!) prepared by one of Wolfgang Puck's apprentices. Something to look forward to while you are pushing that baby out! Big Smile

BabyFruit TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"