2nd Trimester

A sprinkle....?

So since this is our 2nd baby I do not expect to have another shower, however when my best friend found out I was having a girl this time, she spoke to my mom about having a luncheon get together for all things pink. I feel REALLY bad and am afraid of offending people by inviting them. I'd keep it very small. 10 people at the most. Is this inappropriate? I just feel awkward. 

If you knew how lonely my life has been And how long I've been so alone And if you knew how I wanted someone to come along And change my life the way you've done

Baby Names - BabyNamey.com Name Badge Ticker Baby Names - BabyNamey.com Name Badge Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker

pregnancy

Anniversary

Re: A sprinkle....?

• In my group of friends, it's very common. Enjoy it! Babies should be celebrated.
    m/c March 2009 @ 5 weeks ~ m/c June 2009 @ 10 weeks ~ m/c February 2012 @ 4.5 weeks Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • If they are offering to host it, go ahead! 

My fam just threw me one last weekend. We were all getting together for another occasion and they surprised me with a little sprinkle. Fun! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Depends on your social circle.  In my family, 2nd showers are no-no's, but we always do a lunch or something though, but there's no registry involved, or games or anything, just a little celebratory thing.  We still usually bring small gifts like diapers and clothes.  I think it's fine.
  • It sounds fine, just don't register for gifts, and emphasize to the hosts you'd prefer it be kept small. 

Norah transformed our family January 6, 2013

imageimageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • In my family, back home, they throw sprinkles for the second and even sometimes the third child.  If I lived there, I would be getting one.  However, my IL's don't believe in throwing sprinkles and neither does my stepmom, so no sprinkle for me.  I don't think there is anything wrong with them.  People (close friends, family, coworkers) will buy you small gifts anyway if they want to, why not have a small party with some yummy food?  Oh, and I don't see the problem with registering.  But again, I am probably the minority.  As long as you aren't registering for all new big items. 
    image pregnancy calendar Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • If it were one of my friends I would love to attend and give something pink! People feel good about themselves when they do something nice for their friend so I wouldn't worry about a sprinkle for your second kid!
  • Thanks, ladies!!! You are making me feel less awkward about it :) and like someone else said, I wouldn't mind bringing a small gift for someone for their second and third babies :) 

If you knew how lonely my life has been And how long I've been so alone And if you knew how I wanted someone to come along And change my life the way you've done

Baby Names - BabyNamey.com Name Badge Ticker Baby Names - BabyNamey.com Name Badge Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker

pregnancy

Anniversary
  • I think it sounds great!  They offered...it would have been inappropriate for you to suggest it (but that's the same if it was a first baby too).  My family doesn't ever do sprinkles but I moved to a new state/town recently and my friends here want to throw me a sprinkle.  At first I felt awkward about the idea since 2nd showers aren't common in my family but I've come around to the idea.  Every baby should be celebrated!
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

My Usborne Books & More site: https://t3702.myubam.com/
    Buy awesome books for your kids, host an online party to earn FREE books, fundraise, or join my selling team!
  • I'm doing the same thing. My sisters are insisting on throwing me a "fill the closet" sprinkle. At first I was worried it would seem tacky, but we're only inviting my close girlfriends (not church ladies or moms friends etc) and everyone I've talked to about it thinks it's a great idea.

I'm not registering or anything like that.

BabyFetus Ticker Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Its completely acceptable IMHO. Around my group of friends and family, babies are a cause for celebration and we all love a good get together too. :) But we are not formal people by any means. My cousin had a shower for her first and threw her own shower for her 2nd (1st baby was a girl, 2nd was a boy) and no one felt awkward about it. It would be like feeling bad that someone got you a birthday present last year and then gave you one for your birthday this year too. Why feel awkward about it?

My sister and I are co-hosting my baby shower this time around at my house (totally not following "shower etiquette" but around here, its not out of the norm to do this and those that are invited have all done and do the same thing. No different than a birthday party to us). It all depends on your group of people. If someone wants to throw you a sprinkle, I would just let them do it. Your not asking her to and its something they are doing because they love you. Theres nothing wrong with that at all. :)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I see no problem with them. They are extremely common around here. I will probably have one but I am purchasing anything big. If people want to celebrate the baby kudos to them but I'm taking responsibility for big purchase items like the sit and stand stroller I just purchased . They can get fun things like blankets and clothes and fun stuff like that. Just how I'm doing it. :
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I recently moved - a little over a year ago - so my friends are all new and asked to throw me a shower...I declined but made the suggestion of a sprinkle. We decided on a DIY Onesie Party. The hubs and I are already done buying our big items so this was the perfect way to celebrate without feeling gift grabby.
    BabyFetus Ticker Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Dont feel badly my dear... they are offering to throw you a celebration. It would be a totally different story if you actively sought out or threw your own 2nd shower, which you clearly are not. I think its fine, however I would not include any sort of registry info on the invites (if you choose to send formal invites). If the guests ask for registry info or what you would like by all means tell them but I would not include it anywhere on or with the brunch invite.
  • A sprinkle is okay if there is no registry or mention of a registry, and it is kept small and intimate. But if you feel so awkward about it, then simply thank them and decline. If they truly want to sprinkle you with gifts, they'll do so anyway, without a luncheon.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Not inappropriate. You are not only having a new baby, who people want to celebrate as well, but a different sex than a previous baby! You have a few different needs than you had before. : close friends and family will be thrilled to be able to come and dote and share all of the cute little girl things they've found. ; Also, I see nothing wrong with putting a registry together and giving that information out when asked. If it were me, and someone asked me if I had one, I'd tell them, "DH and I have one to keep track of what we still need to get... If you WANT that info I can share it, but it really isn't necessary for you to get us anything!" and leave the ball completely in their court. Have fun!

FWIW, in my circles, women have a baby shower for each baby. Church friends and stuff always want an excuse to get together for a fun and cute time, so it's not shocking to me at all for someone to end up being given more than one shower.
    EDD#1 12/5/12 Born 11/21/12 My LB is better than your LB.BrittanyDoesDerby 4 LYFE!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    EDD#2 2.20.16 I love you already! <3

BabyFruit Ticker
    FEB16 Siggy Challenge Fave TV mom
  • My friends insisted on doing one for me as well and I'm having another girl---so they are just doing a diaper/wipes sprinkle. 
  • It is also common in my group of friends, I would say keep it small and have fun
    Birthday BabyFruit Ticker
  • Do it! We had one for my best friend and it was really sweet. We all got together, made craft paint bibs, had some yummy food, and wrote her notes of encouragement to read near the end of pregnancy/after birth. I loved going to it and blessing her! :) And, of course, I had to get her a little something for baby #2!
    BabyFetus Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"