2nd Trimester

Flu Shot...

I just had the flu shot at my 20 week apt this morning and I feel so sick.  Did this happen to anyone else?

Re: Flu Shot...

• I have not received mine yet. I think it's normal to feel a little bad within the first 24 hours though? I could be wrong, but.....if you're concerned, call the doc in the morning just to make sure :)

If you knew how lonely my life has been And how long I've been so alone And if you knew how I wanted someone to come along And change my life the way you've done

Baby Names - BabyNamey.com Name Badge Ticker Baby Names - BabyNamey.com Name Badge Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker

pregnancy

Anniversary
  • If you got the shot it is the inactivated virus so it is not possible to get the flu from it. The nasal one is an active weakened virus and pregnant women are not supposed to get it. Are you feeling like you may be allergic to one of the ingredients? If so and you feel difficulty breathing, that is an emergency. No matter what, drink lots of water and if feeling bad persists, call the doctor. 
    My little boy: 3/8/13
    Baby #2 due 8/17/17 
  • Loading the player...
  • It's pretty normal. Take some tylenol, drink water, and rest. You should feel better in a day or two. If you develop a fever or anything, call your doctor.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imagedenison2:
    If you got the shot it is the inactivated virus so it is not possible to get the flu from it. The nasal one is an active weakened virus and pregnant women are not supposed to get it. Are you feeling like you may be allergic to one of the ingredients? If so and you feel difficulty breathing, that is an emergency. No matter what, drink lots of water and if feeling bad persists, call the doctor. 

Every single person I know who has had a flu shot end up getting sick within a day or two of getting the shot, so I'm calling bull on this.

I have no experience though because I refuse to get the flu shot never have never will

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • imageJbosarge85:

imagedenison2:
    If you got the shot it is the inactivated virus so it is not possible to get the flu from it. The nasal one is an active weakened virus and pregnant women are not supposed to get it. Are you feeling like you may be allergic to one of the ingredients? If so and you feel difficulty breathing, that is an emergency. No matter what, drink lots of water and if feeling bad persists, call the doctor. 

Every single person I know who has had a flu shot end up getting sick within a day or two of getting the shot, so I'm calling bull on this.

I have no experience though because I refuse to get the flu shot never have never will

No, it's true.  You can't actually get the flu from the flu shot (well, the nasal mist is a live virus, so it's possible, but not probable.  It's also possible to shed it to others, but that's not what pregnant women get anyway so it's kind of a moot point).  However, the common side effects of the flu shot are flu-like symptoms so there's that.  Also, it knocks down your immune system leaving you more susceptible to picking up any other illness you're exposed to, including the flu because maximum immunity isn't even reached for something like 2 weeks, I think.  So, people who get sick right after the shot are likely either experiencing the common flu-like side effects or have been exposed to something else that their immune system wasn't able to fight off because of the vax, but they definitely didn't get the flu from the shot. 

These things are definitely things to consider when thinking about getting the vax.  Not to say people shouldn't get it, but it's definitely something they don't usually make you aware of when the vax is administered and it's something that should be taken into consideration.  

imagephoto 64bf363d-3af0-4dcc-b880-c06326daa418_zps78d8d389.jpg
    *My Blog*
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

photo 0cc607b9-4233-4842-8175-d093f8f92ca8_zps7cc00875.jpg
    10/50 Read

my read shelf:
    Stephanie's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Agreed. I work on a flu vaccine and you cant get the flu from the flu shot.  However you can get mild side effects which is what it sounds like you are having.  Drink lots of water and take it easy.  If you feel any pain, take a Tylenol.   Getting the flu while pregnant can be detrimental to you and your baby, especially if there the H1N1 strain resurfaces this flu season.  Im a big proponent of the flu vaccine.  I hope you feel better soon.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I got the flu shot for the first time last year and felt pretty crappy the next two days. My docotr warned me that I could, though. He said your body perceives the flu shot as the flu and reacts accordingly, just on a smaller level. So you feel like you are sick, but usually not as sick as you would be if you got the actual flu. I'm going to get it at my next appt because if I remember correctly, the immunity you receive passes on to your baby, protecting you after birth. I've also asked my H to get it.

• Body aches and low grade fever are common side effects from the flu vaccination. They should clear in a few days. It does not mean you have the flu. If your symptoms become anything more than mild (shortness of breath, persistent vomiting, etc) call your doctor. Keep in mind that you are not immediately immune (it can take up to 2 weeks), and your immune system is taxed, working to create antibodies, so steer clear of sick people. You may end up catching something else. Hope you feel better soon!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"