Stay at Home Moms

What is the most ridiculous thing you bought your first baby?

I was just at a baby shower the other day, and thinking of all of the silly things we bought.  We were much more strapped for cash then, but still bought things we never would have for our third baby. 

A few things I'm thinking of:

A tiny bathrobe
A mirror that hooked on the carseat so I could see the baby's face
Several sheets for the pack n play (I cannot think of any reason you would need more than one...if that)

Anyone else do this?  Or were you all much more savvy mom's?

Re: What is the most ridiculous thing you bought your first baby?

• Oh, and a tiny comb and brush set.

And a small set of matching dishes when he started eating tablefood.  (because I was going to give my 10 month old, who was still reliably throwing everything off the table, actual breakable dishes?...these are still sitting in the closet)

• We used most of what we bought, but probably the snow suit was the dumbest. It cost like $75 or something and would have been practical if we'd lived in the arctic. As it happened, though, we don't, and it turned out that babies who can't walk (or even sit up reliably) don't really enjoy playing in the snow.

Come to think of it, all heavy/puffy coats were a waste. They never wore them because they were unsafe in the carseats, and I always just bundled a gazillion blankets around them to get them from the car to the indoors and vice-versa.

• Loading the player...
  • I did tons of research before buying and registering for DD.  Hey, we even had a tiny bathrobe that got lots of use and several sheets for the PnP that were lifesavers when DD spit up all over the sheet in the middle of the night (she slept in the PnP as a bassinet until 9 weeks).  

The only thing I think I really overdid was clothing.  I didn't register for any and really didn't receive much clothing at my shower, but she had a ridiculously overstocked closet of NB through 2T clothing before she was even born.  It's just way too much fun to shop for babies!

Married to my best friend 6/5/10
    BFP #1 9/7/10, EDD 5/14/11, Violet born 5/27/11.
    BFP #2 4/9/12, EDD 12/16/12, M/C Rory 4/24/12.
    BFP #3 10/6/12, EDD 6/16/12., Matilda born 6/17/13.
  • I'll be interested to see what I can add to this list eventually. Right now I can't think of anything...

I felt dumb when it came to all the newborn and 0-3 month clothes we had but we didn't buy a single one of them. We seriously had over 30 newborn onesies and sleepers, but they came in handily because LO can still wear some of them. He's almost 4 months and is just now fitting into the 0-3 stuff. 

We don't use our bouncer much, but I got it on clearance for $15 so  just the couple of times we've used it seem like its paid for itself.  

I WISH we had spent money on a nice swing. A friend of mine had twins and got three swings as gifts and gave us one. its one of the floor swings that costs around $75, and he loves it so much I wish we would have splurged on a nicer one.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagekacelle:

I did tons of research before buying and registering for DD.  Hey, we even had a tiny bathrobe that got lots of use and several sheets for the PnP that were lifesavers when DD spit up all over the sheet in the middle of the night (she slept in the PnP as a bassinet until 9 weeks).  

p>

:) I guess that one person's "silly purchase" is another person's favorite thing! We only used the PnP while traveling, and usually just velcroed a blanket down. I am not sure we ever even used one sheet (although I did take them all out of the packaging and wash them before he was born)!
  • Definitely loved our mirror so we could see the baby. We also used the small comb and brush several times a day :) Our baby had lots of hair :) I guess what is worthwhile just depends on what your baby ends up needing..........

We never used our 'bottle sanitizer' that I paid 50 bucks for- what a waste. Also never used our bouncer- we had a swing and that was what he liked.

12779_656984131612_1006256520_n
  • baby uggs. What was I thinking?
  • The shopping cart cover. I was so germaphobic with DD, and now I look back and just laugh about it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Haha, I have a few of the items mentioned here which I really loved and used.

I think the only thing we bought which was kind of useless were those hooded baby towels. They never really fit him well enough to wrap all the way around. A regular towel worked better for us.

• The crib was the most expensive and least used thing we had.  We ended up cosleeping since LO nursed until he was 2.
    Stay at home mom to a house of boys: two amazing stepsons, 12 and 9, and our 4 year old.
  • Haha, I'm wondering what some of you were thinking! We bought very little, and even at +2 have had to buy very little (the Nanas and my favorite aunt go overboard so no need for me to). We too had the bathrobe that never got used (gift), I did buy a snowsuit, from goodwill for a few $s that she only wore a few times this past winter since it only snowed once or twice (full price snowsuits?! He double L no!). She only ever has one or two pairs of shoes in each size (sneaker and a cute slip on/boot in the winter).

I bought gripe water that didn't work, bottles I bought in the hopes she would like, she never took one. Looking back, we did ok (only because I'm frugal/cheap)!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I've never heard of baby bathrobes! Haha...  silly. 

Well, we were given shoes and fancy newborn dresses and none of that even got touched. She was lucky to even have any clothes on those first few months.

The fancy pack n' play was stupid.  

I also invested in some good quality nursing tanks and bras, and really wish I hasn't. I wish someone had told me it wasn't necessary... it would have saved me a bunch of $. I'm a B cup, maybe a C now that I'm nursing, and I just wear my normal tanks layered or with a sports bra with zero issue.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

• Definitely the bathrobe. I even bought DD2 one to use as a swimsuit cover up while we were on vacation. For babies, a big fluffy towel is much better than some silly swim cover/bathrobe.

We have the mirrors for the carseat, but I could never see baby in them. I bought them solely to try to entertain DD in the car.

We travel a lot in the summer, so having extra pack n play sheets was nice.

Flip flops for under age 3. At 1 yr, neither DD could keep them on her feet. I don't remember if DD1 could at 2, but DD2 walks right out of them, even with the strap on the back.

A crazy amount of clothes - mostly in size 3T and up. That's about the point when the baby shower clothes ran out, and I got to start buying things I really liked. I have two full bins of size 3T fall and winter clothes for DD2 right now. I think there may be 10 pairs of pants. It's crazy ridiculous.

Annalise Marie 05.29.06
    Charlotte Ella 07.16.10
    Emmeline Grace 03.27.13
  • imagejennygirlmt:

Haha, I'm wondering what some of you were thinking! We bought very little, and even at +2 have had to buy very little (the Nanas and my favorite aunt go overboard so no need for me to). We too had the bathrobe that never got used (gift), I did buy a snowsuit, from goodwill for a few $s that she only wore a few times this past winter since it only snowed once or twice (full price snowsuits?! He double L no!). She only ever has one or two pairs of shoes in each size (sneaker and a cute slip on/boot in the winter).

I bought gripe water that didn't work, bottles I bought in the hopes she would like, she never took one. Looking back, we did ok (only because I'm frugal/cheap)!

Well, the only good thing about the snow suit is, it was adorable and super-warm. So we used it maybe twice, and then I was able to send it on to one of my Knot friends who lives in AR, and when her son outgrew it, she sent it on to one of our other friends who lives in NYC, and when her boy outgrows it, she'll probably send it on to one of our other friends when/if they have a baby since not all of us are done with kids. So, at least it's getting used, right? Just not by me. 

• also a bathrobe.

But it was so cute!

I had purchased bathrobes for other babies before we had one (a baby, not a bathrobe).  I regret that - I should send all of them replacement gifts.

• imagesusanmosley:

also a bathrobe.

But it was so cute!

I had purchased bathrobes for other babies before we had one (a baby, not a bathrobe).  I regret that - I should send all of them replacement gifts.

LOL

• The breast feeding cover.  It made breast feeding so awkward and I always felt like LO was suffocating under there.  Just as easy to use the tank tops (luckily she was a summer baby) which cover most of the boob and the baby covers the nip anyway.  If I really needed to, I always had a receiving blanket on hand that I could use to slightly cover.  Also my Moby wrap - LO hated being worn.  She is a hot baby, so she would always overheat and get real cranky in there.  Would have made life so much easier with an older child running around.  Luckily I didn't put the money out for it, but I did register for it - my Chicco travel system.  Obviously, I used the car seat (for both kids) but I think between the two babies, I used the stroller all of 12 times.  HATED that stroller.  I suggest people take someone else's kid and test drive strollers and stores should have faux terrains to push them over.  LOL
  • I second(and third) the bathrobe and slippers.

Also, we got a wipe warmer that was used once and never again.  A baby bjorn used once (I know some LOVE them), bottle warmer(used once), 15 bottles of baby lotion I got at my shower.  I lotion DS twice a day-and it took over a year to deplete the huge bottle.

Newborn baby shoes (he never wore shoes), 15 heavy blankets (we only needed 1 or 2), excess pack n play and crib sheets.  I had about 5 each.  IMO you only need 1 pnp sheet, maybe 2 and 2-3 crib sheets are plenty.

• It is funny how each child is different.  With DD we bought a bunch of swaddle blankets--- she HATED to be swaddled.  Thank goodness DS loves to be swaddled.  I have to agree with shoes....They don't stay on and are more work then they are worth at a young age.  We received a snow suit as a gift.....we live at the beach where it does not snow often-at all. 

• imagealli2672:

Oh, and a tiny comb and brush set.

And a small set of matching dishes when he started eating tablefood.  (because I was going to give my 10 month old, who was still reliably throwing everything off the table, actual breakable dishes?...these are still sitting in the closet)

I have used my set every time.. but its a soft baby set.  for all 4 of my kids 

lolololo
  • imageJ&A2008:
    The crib was the most expensive and least used thing we had.  We ended up cosleeping since LO nursed until he was 2.

I think this is mine too.  I have 4 children, and all of them co sleeped.  I have to say DD (our 6 week old)  she sleeps in her play pen as its in our room and I am trying not to co sleep with her which is working out great!  BUt each of them had a different crib and we never used any of them  lol 

lolololo
  • Somebody had told me the bathrobe was great for doctors appointments, so they don't get cold.  That was the only use I ever found for mine.  

In general, we used most of what we had.  I did, however, have way more clothes than they needed as babies.  Between hand-me-downs, baby gifts, and they few things I bought, I have atleast one rubbermate tub per size in baby clothes.  Insane.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Shopping cart cover.  Antibacterial wipes are free and less hassle to deal with lol.

A fancy dresser/change table combo.  It was a gift so we didn't pay for it but it's absurd.  $500 when any flat-topped dresser from a garage sale would've done the job.  Plus, it's gigantic and the bedrooms in our house are roughly the size of large walk-in closets so it takes up a ton of space in DD's room but for what it cost, can't get rid of it.

• I didn't buy them but we have a million blankets! Most are personalized so I can't give them away or sell them. Truly you never know until LO is here what is or isn't going to work for you. We had a Bjorn but I wish in hind sight I had bought an Ergo. DS really disliked the swing after about 2 months. We loved the mirror for the car and the cart cover (gift from a friend who made it) 

I cloth diaper and use cloth wipes in a warmer. I get told I am stupid all of the time for buying a warmer but it works for us.  

The matching bedroom set from PBK in white piqu? was the worst thought out item. I never used the bumper or quilt after DS was born. I only used the bed skirt. Luckily my mom bought it. Now I need to sell it so I can get something DS will actually get some use out of.  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"