November 2011 Moms

I'm I alone in this?

Can you ladies believe that I still don't know what STTN is??? Our Little guy still wakes up to FF once or twice a night!  If he has given DH and I 4 nights of complete sleep since birth it has been a lot.

I have no idea what else to do. Anyone else in the same boat?

I doubt it but thought I should ask anyways.

~Caleb~ If i could have a lifetime wish, a dream that would come true, I'd pray to God with all my heart, for yesterday and you. D&E 8/24/2012 EDD 1/28/2013 ___________________________________________________ Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: I'm I alone in this?

• How much is your LO eating during the day? The only way they'll drop night feedings is if they up their intake during the day.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagemabenner1:
    How much is your LO eating during the day? The only way they'll drop night feedings is if they up their intake during the day.

He drinks 5 ounces every 3 hours, 1 jar food and 1 jar fruit.  He is about 23 pounds.  Am I under feeding?

~Caleb~ If i could have a lifetime wish, a dream that would come true, I'd pray to God with all my heart, for yesterday and you. D&E 8/24/2012 EDD 1/28/2013 ___________________________________________________ Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • imagetailanis:

imagemabenner1:
    How much is your LO eating during the day? The only way they'll drop night feedings is if they up their intake during the day.

He drinks 5 ounces every 3 hours, 1 jar food and 1 jar fruit.  He is about 23 pounds.  Am I under feeding?

Do you know how many ounces a day total?  I know DS didn't start STTN until he ate about 28-32 ounces a day, and had doubled his birth weight. 23 pounds!! Big guy!

• I don't think you are alone but you do have a big guy there.  He might need more food during the day.  Maybe try 3 meals and a snack later if that doesn't fill him up?  Maybe you could also switch to water at night?  It might just be the sucking that he wants.  My pedi said it is okay to give up to 6oz of water each day.

Good luck!

BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• imagemabenner1:
    imagetailanis:

imagemabenner1:

Do you know how many ounces a day total?  I know DS didn't start STTN until he ate about 28-32 ounces a day, and had doubled his birth weight. 23 pounds!! Big guy!

This is where he is at right now... I am desperate! I don't know what else to try.  People have told me to add nutmeg to his milk and this is suppose to help but I have never heard of this.

• imageSuzJune04:

I don't think you are alone but you do have a big guy there.  He might need more food during the day.  Maybe try 3 meals and a snack later if that doesn't fill him up?  Maybe you could also switch to water at night?  It might just be the sucking that he wants.  My pedi said it is okay to give up to 6oz of water each day.

Good luck!

Can you suggest a menu for those 3 meals?

I tried the water feeding when he woke up to feed but all he did was cry and keep us both up. He did not stop crying until he was formula feed.

• I would introduce more protein into his diet and up the ounces on your bottles. For breakfast, DD often has yogurt, for lunch this afternoon she had leftover tofu stroganoff (we are vegetarians), for dinner tonight I am making Mexican- black beans and sweet potatoes for her. She has been cutting down on bottle intake. I am even going down to three eight ounce bottles starting today (7 am, Noon and then 6:30 before bed). 

Like PP, she started STTN consistently when we moved her up to 32 ounces at four months old. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • imagegracefulruby33:

I would introduce more protein into his diet and up the ounces on your bottles. For breakfast, DD often has yogurt, for lunch this afternoon she had leftover tofu stroganoff (we are vegetarians), for dinner tonight I am making Mexican- black beans and sweet potatoes for her. She has been cutting down on bottle intake. I am even going down to three eight ounce bottles starting today (7 am, Noon and then 6:30 before bed). 

Like PP, she started STTN consistently when we moved her up to 32 ounces at four months old. 

This helps. I have not tried yogurt yet but I will.  I am often affraid of feeding him what we cook. I guess I still see him as a tiny little baby and the truth is he is growing up and growing up fast. 

Thanks

• imagetailanis:
    imagegracefulruby33:

I would introduce more protein into his diet and up the ounces on your bottles. For breakfast, DD often has yogurt, for lunch this afternoon she had leftover tofu stroganoff (we are vegetarians), for dinner tonight I am making Mexican- black beans and sweet potatoes for her. She has been cutting down on bottle intake. I am even going down to three eight ounce bottles starting today (7 am, Noon and then 6:30 before bed). 

This helps. I have not tried yogurt yet but I will.  I am often affraid of feeding her what we cook. I guess I still see him as a tiny little baby and the truth is he is growing up and growing up fast. 

Thanks

:-) I know what you mean. I am hesitant about serving what we eat, but truthfully it just makes me more mindful of the ingredients I put in our food so she CAN eat what we eat (no salt, full fat dairy ingredients). I am still a bit freaked out about the chunks of food, but the more she is having chunks, the better she is about chewing them with her gums. I still can't bring myself to giving her big sticks of veggies or fruit and having her bite off because she just doesn't work that way with her food yet. I just cut everything into small chunks for her and if she swallows them whole, it isn't a big deal. Don't be afraid to have your LO at least try what you are eating. Last night I made her a squash pur?e and had cottage cheese for her, but she threw a fit until I realized she wanted what I was eating- spinach lasagna rollups and she loved it.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Defiantly not alone. DD still gets up every 90 min-2 hrs like clockwork. BLEUGH. I'm so frustrated and every time she wakes up I'm like "are you freaking kidding me! I just got you back to sleep!" 
    Munchkin born 11/22/11
    Pipsqueak born 6/9/14

• imagetailanis:

imagemabenner1:

My daughter is only about 17lbs, if that and she eats three full meals a day...she also nurses 3-5 times a day. And drinks some water. And mostly sleeps through the night - she has been waking up early lately for some random reason, but I think it is teething...if a tooth FINALLY shows up in a few days, then I'll know what this nonsense is about. I could do with out the 4 and 5 am wake up calls.

Anyway, her typical meals are something like this: 

Breakfast: a smoothie made with 1/2 cup of full fat yogurt and either one small jar or pouch of fruit/veggie puree (she usually drinks 90% of this, we save the rest for lunch), plus either a waffle or piece of whole wheat toast with peanut butter and jam, or cheerios and a slice of cheese, or scrambled egg with cheese, and some fruit if we have anything ripe. She loves bananas, pears, peaches, grapes (cut up), blueberries (cut in half), watermelon, strawberries...

Lunch: she will eat 1/2 to 3/4 of a veggie burger or 1/2 grilled cheese, any leftover smoothie from breakfast, sometimes some veggies from dinner the night before like green beans, asparagus, roasted carrots, sweet potatoes, or cauliflower.

Dinner is whatever we are having if appropriate - tonight she had chicken sausage with a bunch of roasted sweet potatoes. 

If you never feed him finger foods he won't learn how to eat them :-) Just start slow and keep the variety coming so that he tries and likes a variety of foods. 

I generally try to avoid prepackaged food as much as possible b/c of the sodium content, so usually my daughter just eats a random collection of things. I try to be sure she gets a fruit and veg at each meal and some good healthy protein and fat. Sometimes she has yogurt and half an avocado and a fruit pouch. I figure it all rounds out, plus she has breastmilk. 

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • You could maybe switch around his feedings, maybe even try a mini cluster feeding before bed? He may wake up, and expect food, so feeding him right before bed might help.

I heard from another teacher that her DD kept waking up in the middle of the night, so she gave her a little bottle of water and eventually weaned off that and started to STTN.  Good luck!

Married 02.06.10
    DS1 born 11.19.11
    DS2 born 07.02.14

• I'm going to guess that you're not alone.  DD STTN most of the time, but at this age, DS definitely did not.  I'm going to guess that the night waking has nothing to do with hunger.  I've done a lot differently with DD than I did with DS and it seems to have worked (or maybe they're just different sleepers, who knows).  In any case, restless sleep is often caused by overtired-ness and he's probably demanding a bottle because once he wakes he has no idea how else to get back to sleep.  He has a strong bottle to sleep association.

I would first make sure he's getting enough sleep. He should be getting 14-15 hours per day.  Probably 11-12 at night and 3-4 during the day.  Bed time should probably be sometime between 6 and 8.  Just making sure he gets enough sleep might take care of the problem.  If not, you might work on trying to break the bottle-sleep association.  Experiment with other ways of getting him to sleep.  Maybe it's as simple as taking the bottle away when he's almost asleep (when you're putting him down) and swapping it for a pacifier.  Or you could try laying him down drowsy but awake and then sitting by the crib and patting his belly until he falls asleep.

~Working Mom~Breastfeeding Mom~Cloth Diapering Mom~BLW Mom~

Blog - No Longer on the DL ~ The Man Cave
    Shawn and Larissa
    LO #1 - Took 2 years and 2 IVFs ~ DX - severe MFI mild PCOS homozygous MTHFR (a1298c)
    LO #2 - TTC 7 months, surprise spontaneous BFP!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Not alone.

My son wakes out of habit, though, not hunger. He nurses plenty during the day. He wakes 2-3 times a night. I haven't had a full (5 or more hours) of sleep since before he was born.

Sorry I don't have an answer for you! It sucks, I know.

b/w=FSH 15.6, AMH 0.4 surprise natural BFP on 3/12/11
    DS born via unplanned C-section at 40w6d

• Once DS went completely FF, we just night weaned him by giving him a pacifier and rocking instead of a bottle.  He cried for a few nights, but then he started STTN.  
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Heck no, I would die. Literally die. I have two children and work full time and if I had only gotten 4 complete nights of sleep by now, I would be in a mental institution! Sleep training pronto!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • DS most of the time does not STTN. We FF but I know for a fact he is not drinking enough formula during the day in order to STTN. He refuses formula unless it's nap time or bed time. I'm going to start giving it to him in his sippy cup instead of water during the day to see if I can up his intake. We also have him on 3 meals plus snacks during the day. Usually it looks something like this:

Breakfast: yogurt and cheerios, cottage cheese with fruit chunks or oatmeal mixed in with some sort of fruit puree.

8 oz bottle before morning nap

Lunch: leftovers from the night before, soup, pasta, sandwiches, veggies (chopped up or pureed, whatever is on hand) and usually some form of fruit.

8 oz bottle before afternoon nap

Snack: some sort of finger food in his highchair with water to drink

Dinner: Whatever we are having but more veggies than anything. 

Sometimes I can sneak in a few oz of formula here but most of the time no.

Bedtime: 9 oz bottle 

4 am: 8 oz bottle 

Repeat! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • You're not alone.  DH still wakes up1-3x per night depending on how late he goes to bed.
  • Not alone. I am in  your company waking up several times a night!! I breastfeed and it's starting to seem to me that DS is preferring to take in all of his nutrition overnight. He is so stimulated during the day since he started moving around that it's hard to settle him for nursing or a bottle. He eats solid meals but his intake during the day has definitely gone down.

• Lurker here...I'm usually hanging out more around the multiples board but made my way over here finally...anyways on to your question...I think it sounds like he needs more food! My boys are 23lbs and 24lbs and this is what they eat:

morning 8oz bottle with cereal

morning snack yogurt and dry cherrios

lunch veggies (3oz) and fruit (3oz)

afternoon 8oz bottle

dinner  meat and veg puree (3oz) and fruit (3oz) and puffs

bedtime 8oz bottle with cereal

They go down at 7:30pm and wake up at 7:30am...how are the day time naps? The worst enemy of a good nightime sleeper is being overtired! We do a morning and afternoon nap of 1.5-2hrs.....I hope things get easier for you soon! You must be exhausted!  

• i think you need to his solids intake significantly.  my LO doesnt sleep through the night and gets up to FF- but i think it's also out of habit...  i notice that if he has more solids throughout the day, he sleeps much better at night.  we have gotten better about soothing him back to sleep without feeding him. 

we've had better luck giving him larger bottles as he has gotten older- we offer him 6-8 ounces after a meal of solid food. he eats breakfast, lunch, and dinner with one snack that has protein and fruit.

after a meal or snack we offer him water in a cup, then his bottle.  he drinks about 24 ounces a day at this point, more like 30 ounces if he doesn't have enough solids.

my son is ten months old on the 26th and 21 pounds. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"