Baby Names

Mom and Baby names sound alike...

I posted last week that we are having a boy and naming him Otto.  Well, I just realized (duh) that this will sound really close to my name.  My name is Audra and most people close to me call me Aud (Odd) or Audra, but some friends and acquaintances call me Audie (Odd-ee).  Are these names too close???  I'm so bummed because we LOVE the name Otto and so badly want to use it.  I just don't want people to think we're weird or something.  I should add that we very often refer to DD as her first and middle name (Quinn Lauren) so it's very possible that we could call DS Otto James.  Thoughts????
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Mom and Baby names sound alike...

• Otto and Audra are pronounced completely differently to me:

Audra - AWE-druh

Otto - AH-toe

Maybe it's my regional accent, but I wouldn't bat an eye at that combo...

• image526SadieSadie:

Otto and Audra are pronounced completely differently to me:

Audra - AWE-druh

Otto - AH-toe

That's what I thought too but one person commented on it and it got me thinking.  Thank you!

• Loading the player...
  • Yes

• image526SadieSadie:
    Otto and Audra are pronounced completely differently to me:
    Audra AWEdruh
    Otto AHtoe

Yeah, AWE and AH sound exactly the same to me. I am from the Midwest.

So they do sound very similar to me. It wouldn't change my mind though. I would still use the name.
    est. 2007 | posting under a new name
    my fur babies
  • imageswarley+sparkles:
    image526SadieSadie:
    Otto and Audra are pronounced completely differently to me: Audra AWEdruh Otto AHtoe Maybe it's my regional accent, but I wouldn't bat an eye at that combo...
    Yeah, AWE and AH sound exactly the same to me. I am from the Midwest. So they do sound very similar to me. It wouldn't change my mind though. I would still use the name.

Yeah, the beginnings sound the same to me too.  I guess I'm hearing the D sound in my name and the T sound in his.  I hope that's different enough to not get side eyed.

BTW, love your siggy!  :o)

• Not similar to me at all except they both begin and end in vowels.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers imageVisit The Nest!Visit The Nest!
  • They don't sound alike to me, but even if they did, I would probably still use Otto.  Same sounds between parents and children aren't so much an issue for me (now if you were going to name the kid the masculine version of your name - I don't think there is one for Audra? - then I would give it the side-eye, but then I'm not big on Jr.s either).
  • imagekaylynne:
    They don't sound alike to me, but even if they did, I would probably still use Otto.  Same sounds between parents and children aren't so much an issue for me (now if you were going to name the kid the masculine version of your name - I don't think there is one for Audra? - then I would give it the side-eye, but then I'm not big on Jr.s either).

This!

BabyFetus Ticker; Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'd still use Otto if you like it.  They do have a similar sound to me, but my guess is that the people who call you Audee will probably phase that out if they find that it is too similar to Otto for them so that they can more easily distinguish between your names.
    Married 9-4-04

***PM me for my IF history***

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • I would pronounce Otto as auto, rather than ah-tow, so I think the initial sounds are the same, but the endings are so different that I wouldn't bat an eye about naming your DC this.

• Maybe I'm wrong but I think the main concern the OP has was more so because of her nicknames (ex: Odd-ee) being close to Otto.. not her actual name being that close. I can see where she's coming from. They're kind of close but I'd still use it if you love the name.  People name their kids after them all the time so they have the exact SAME name! NBD. Even if it was extremely similar, who cares?

My name is Melissa. A lot of my family members call me Missa. My daughter will be Mia. It's similar, as well. My sister has a friend names Toya who named her baby Tiya (Tie-ya)...

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerPregnancy Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"