September 2012 Moms

Post baby GTKY-Worst part of labor?

So I was very happy with my birth and I can?t honestly say there was a worst part for me.  I mean contractions were very painful and I was exhausted but I expected all that and we know what a great reward we get at the end.   But I was curious how DF felt about everything, because he was very involved and watched the whole thing when he had said he wasn?t watching anything and was going to be standing at my shoulder the whole time.  He said it wasn?t that bad and I asked him what the worst part was for him.  He said the worst part was when the doctor had to give me the episiotomy because he could hear the cutting noise.  ICK!! Glad I couldn?t heard it or didn?t notice because I was busy pushing!!!  While I thought this was pretty gross I was surprised that a relatively small thing stood out in his mind and I am curious what you ladies and your SOs though was the worst part of the labor process.  I guess this can be a post baby GTKY Big Smile

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Post baby GTKY-Worst part of labor?

• Funny side note DF also said he was really disappointed that we went to the hospital at 5:30 am and made it through all the traffic lights no problem because he was really hoping to have an excuse to blow through a light for once in his life Stick out tongue  I told him maybe next time I will time it better LOL

• My SO is a volunteer firefighter and former member of the rescue squad, so he's seen some pretty intense and gross stuff in his day. I was surprised when he described the experience as "f***ing disgusting." He said the worst part was when he walked back into the room after making some phone calls and the OB was stitching me up. My sister was also unfortunate enough to walk in the room then too.
  • Loading the player...
  • imageauroraloo:
    Honestly, i didn't have a bad part. I was induced and got my epi before I felt any contractions. So recovery?

I would have to second that.  

• I had a c-section and the worst part was when I got nauseous while they were putting things back in my stomach. I started to throw up and it was just gross because I couldn't move.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • the fourty five minutes between when they broke my water and when i got my epi

View Full Size Image

• The last half hour before pushing.  I had SO much pressure as well as intense pain in my left hip and oblique due to the position of the baby.  I had to beg to be checked because they didnt think I would have progressed as quickly as I did (and they didn't want to check often because my water broke so early).
    ~The Bumpie formerly known as SpartyMom2B~

• For DH it was just seeing me in pain and not being able to do anything about it. For me, it was when I couldn't feel anything in order to push and had to have them turn down my epi. I knew I was going to pay for that and I did, the pain after was ridiculous, but it made pushing easier. I only pushed 5 times after I could feel my legs. 

Kid #1 - 09/03/12
    Kid #2 - maybe???
    Diagnosed with Severe Ashermans 
    Hysteroscopy #10 - scar tissue grew back reblocking my right tube
    #11 or IVF with scarring still inside?
    1 lone embryo from September 2016 retreival, dx with Trisomy 16, starting fresh
  • The worst part...when the epi wore off while I was pushing.....also the fact that my labor was 23 hours....
  • imageanitalynn:

Worst part of labor? I think it would be the part (this happened twice to me during my labor with Jack) where my epidural stopped working in the proper places. My epidural only worked from the hips/top of my thighs to my toes. In fact, part of my left leg is still tingly/numb from something during the whole L&D process. So I couldn't feel my feet or legs when my epi died (each time it died it was 1 hour 45 minutes-2 hours after getting it) but I could feel all of my contractions.

This was me.  I had to have three epidurals placed.  I was ready to give up after the second epi.  Finally got the third and was able to get some relief.  My right leg was pretty tingly for awhile after too.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image

• The worst part for us was delivering in a teaching hospital.  I loved it for the care I received- even with the pitocin, labor was easy and the delivery was great- I only had a couple 1st degree tears.  I didn't need any pain meds afterward at all.  But during delivery itself there were SO many people in the room- 3 OBs, 2 med students, 4 NICU Drs, a couple L&D nurses, and some baby nurses...

DD had a heart arhythmia during labor, so there may have been a few extra people there because of that, but when she came out they took her from me to examine her and for half an hour.  This wasn't a problem since I wanted to make sure her heart was ok (it's been fine since birth and shows no problem now,) but all the people stood between me and LO and I didn't get to see her for the first half hour after birth, even though she was in the same room.  I was so frustrated I cried. 

Then in hospital recovery the next few days, we had a constant stream of Drs, nurses, med students and nursing students coming in and unwrapping DD's swaddle and messing with her, so DH, DD and I got no rest or recovery until we got home.  I had a really easy birth and physical recovery, so the "worst" parts weren't at all what I expected them to be!

• Getting the iv put in. That sucked...3times over. 

• I went natural and labored in the shower at home and in a tub at the hospital.  They wouldn't let me deliver in the tub, so the worse part was feeling the urge to push and having to move from the tub to the bed and then being told not to push uuntil they checked to make sure I was fully dilated.  That "overwhelming urge to push" was no joke, and it was awful to have to hold it.

• The worst part for me besides the awful right on top of each other contractions was when DD came out, I felt both my tears happening. It still makes me cringe thinking about it.

SO missed DS's birth, but he said the grossest thing with DD was when she came out, apparently she had bloody slime on her head that made it look like she got "hit in the head with an axe" <-- His words. 

• Nerve pain shooting down my leg when they placed the epidural wrong the first time and the crazy pressure right before starting to push.
  • I was induced and I had the epi at 4 cms so I wasn't feeling that many contractions -- I did feel pressure from contractions though in my butt...my right side was less frozen than the left because they had me lying on my left side so they could get a reading on the baby ..they kept losing him when I was on my back...

the worst part was that I kept trying to hold in my toots...lol...like I kept trying to squeeze in my buttcheeks to keep from letting one slip .... and the waiting...even though I was only in labour for 12 hours and I only pushed for 25 mins ... I could feel the pressure from my contractions in my right butt cheek so I knew when to push and I could feel the pressure from his head etc. coming out but it wasn't scream worthy or anything because of the epi. The nurses were surprised I pushed him out so fast with a full force epi and I am a first timer.

• I had a csection, honestly I had an awesome recovery and I left the hospital a day early. The nurses were impressed by how quickly I was getting recovering and moving around. The worst part was the night of my csection I was in a lot of pain and they weren't able to hang my epidural medicine before it ran out .... twice. Being in that much pain I was nervous about how my recovery was going to be, but it got much better once I was on the pain pills.

imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • The panic in triage when his heart tones dropped, and everyone rushed in to get me ready for surgery. They blew three IVs, nobody really talked to me and there was a lot of panic and fear in the air. 

And if I had known that I wouldn't get a VBAC, I would have never labored at home for 8 hours. Alone. Grmpf. 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • The worst part for me was having days of strong contractions from the induction attempts with Cytotec and Pitocin with no progress. It was so frustrating to be in so much pain with no results. I finally gave in and got the epi, which allowed me to relax enough to dilate. It's amazing how much your mind can influence your body.

• I would have to say the worst part of labor was the 3 1/2 hours of pushing I did only for it to be determined that he was stuck on my pelvic bone and I needed to have a c-section. Oh and the recovery from the c-section has been pretty bad too.

• The 2 minute long contractions.. i had combining contractions and back labour, i have never been sick with pain, and that was before the Pitocin. once the epidural was in, i still could feel pressure in my bottom and so i was labouring through those as they turned up the pitocin..  DH had a hard time watching me in pain, he was able to help once the midwife showed us a trick way to rub my back to relieve the pain.. but i laboured for over 30 hours so it wasn't the best experience and im not eager to repeat it next week..
    Sept 2012 baby boy
      imageimageimage
    Anniversary
  • I had a rcs but recovery was near perfect!!! If I had to choose the worst part it was being so thirsty then throwing everything up that I drank. That continued until from noon-midnight the day of my cs.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • my worst part was when DD's head was "stuck" and I had two more contractions before finally getting her head out.. it hurt soo bad I couldn't feel my contractions I wanted to reach down there and pull her out myself !
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • The worst parts for me were the peripheral stuff, like the IVs (the first one caused a lot of pain/burning), the allergic reaction to penicillin, and how freaking annoying it was for the nurses to constantly be readjusting my wireless heart rate monitor because my  little sweetie refused to stay anywhere near it.

I asked my H and he said the only part he'd call bad was when she was stuck and he was afraid she was dying (because of her coloration and everyone started yelling...he forgot how frequently babies are born grey/blue, and he was right down there ready to catch before things went crazy). 

imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I "planned" to have a natural birth. I had the worst contractions/back labor and finally decided to get an epi. The worst for me was then waiting over 2 hours for the anesthesiologist (there were 2 emergencies that took priority). My husband described my pain face as "looking like I was smelling the worst fart ever, for hours." LOL! Glad he said that after I received the epi and was a normal person again.

He said the worst part was when our DD's heart rate dropped and doctors and nurses rushed into the room. I had to get oxygen and stay on my left side for a while.I somehow remained calm because I knew things like that happened and was probably due to me laying on my right side at the time. However, I wasn't aware HOW low her HR got because I couldn't see the monitors.

I THOUGHT that my first bowel movement after baby was going to be the worst thing, as I've had constipation problems my entire life. I'm happy to report that by getting stool softeners and drinking plenty of fluids (including prune juice) it came out pretty uneventfully.

• imagekyssmi88sd:

imageauroraloo:
    Honestly, i didn't have a bad part. I was induced and got my epi before I felt any contractions. So recovery?

I would have to second that. &nbsp;

Third! LD was an absolute cinch!

I bled a lot after though. They would change me, I would barely shift in bed and feel a gush and have to call them right back in. So they had to keep coming in to knead my belly to get blood clots to pass, and the nurse had very bony knuckles, ugh! Quite possibly the worst pain I've experienced! I cried because it was painful and because she said she would be back in half an hour to do it again!

Oh, also, the contractions I experienced the first couple of days when breastfeeding...just horrible!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I had a med free birth that lasted a total of like 34 hours I think. I got to the hopsital at 6cms and delivered 5 hours later.

The worst part for me was the contractions between 9 and 10 cms. When I was admitted DH said my contractions on the monitor were topping out at like 25. The transition between 9 and 10 cms and when I was pushing, they were topping out at 78. DH has a weak stomach and swore he was staying by my head, but he ended up standing side by side with my doc because she said she needed him to hold my foot to push against. In reality, I think she got him away from me because I was grabbing at him for dear life !! lol But he did not say anything in particular was gross from him, which shocked me !!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I'm still pregnant, but will give mine from last time.

I was prepared for labor being painful, but I was not prepared for how incredibly thirsty I was going to be and not be able to drink water. The ice chips were a joke. I couldn't wait to chug a gallon of water.  

James Sawyer 12.3.10
    Leo Richard 9.20.12 

• The worst part for me was when they had to manually remove one of the placentas.  OUCH!  Even with the extra epidural dose and the narcotics in my IV, that shizzz hurt. The hemorrhaging during that wasn't super fun either. I think DH would agree with me.  He actually saw all of the blood and the pieces they were removing. Ick! No idea how he didn't throw up or pass out. 
    Double the love
    photo Eastercollage_zps0735f04a.jpg
    7/30/12 - B/G twins born at 33w4d due to PPROM
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"