Multiples

Newborn Wardrobe

My girls will hopefully stay inside until their scheduled arrival on December 19th and then I plan to keep them inside for most of the rest of Flu season. My question is about how much clothing they will need. 

This is what I have in Newborn size (for each) - is this enough? I think so, but I need some expert opinions. Do I need more sleepers?

- 4 Fleece hoodie/pants outfits
- 7 Short sleeve onesies
- 3 Long sleeve onesies
- 4 pair non-matching pants to wear over onesies
- 3 short sleeve onesie/pants sets
- 2 zip up fleece footed sleepers
- 2 zip up cotton footed sleepers
- 2 snap-up cotton footed sleepers 

I think I need to move on to 3 month clothes now. 

Single Mother by Choice. Life didn't work out the way I planned so I did it on my own. IUI #s 1-3, unmedicated = BFN, IUI #s 4-6, 50mg Clomid, Ovidrel = BFN IVF #1: 23R, 20M, 17F. 5 day transfer 2 blasts. 2 Snowbabies BFP 6dp5dt, Beta #1 7dp5dt = 58, Beta #2 9dp5dt = 114, Beta #3 10dp5dt = 187 1st Ultrasound = 5/3, not much to see yet. 2nd Ultrasound = 5/17, TWINS!!! Hospital Bed Rest at 32 weeks due to pre-ecclampsia and severe edema. Audrey Grace, 5lbs9oz, & Lydia Louise, 6lbs, born via emergency c-section on 12/6/12 at 36w1d My IVF Journey

Re: Newborn Wardrobe

• I didn't put a single pair of pants on my LOs till they were at least 6 months. And very rarely onesies.If I was shopping all over again I would buy nothing but zip sleepers, some with feet and some without. Plus maybe a few onesies.
  • I think it's plenty as 3 months will quickly overlap. This assumes they are full or near full term size.

imageimage 

6/20/11 mc @ 5wks
    10/19/11 mc @ 17wks- Trisomy 18
    IUI #1 4/26/12 BFN
    Moving on to IVF in July
    37 with DOR...fabulous
    ER 7/14/12 6R 5F, ET 7/17 3 embies, beta #1 7/26: 147, beta #2 7/28: 326, beta#3 7/30: 422...ugh, beta#4 7/31: 607...hopeful, beta #5 8/2: 1280, beta #6 8/7: 7184 and u/s shows 1 possibly 2 sacs! 8/14 2 beautiful heartbeats! 9/24 we are TEAM BLUE!!!!!

• Loading the player...
  • I would suggest just a few more zip up sleepers. There were a few days when DD wore no less than 6 outfits because of blowouts/spit up/breastmilk sprays.

Instead of more sleepers, you could also go the route of gowns as long as you keep your house warm. Gowns were DH's favorite because they're so easy. There's no snapping or zipping for diaper changes. Plus, a lot of them are 0-6 or 0-9 months, so you can use them for a long time. 

This is my siggy. Love it.

• I personally used sleepers for most of his newborn stage. I also preferred snaps when he was little because I didn't have to get him all undressed every time I had to change a diaper, but I seem to be in the minority for that preference. Zippers are best once they get mobile.

TTC since May 2006. After 3 failed Clomid cycles, 2 failed Injectibles/IUIs, 2 failed IVFs and 1 failed FET, we moved on to adoption! 

Last ditch FET resulted in BFP, and identical twin girls!

• Mine were born at about the same time of year as your girls, and they wore only sleepers for the first few months. 
    How to tell my boys apart

The different types of twins and triplets

Jack, Sydney and Carynne, Annaleigh, JW, Eden...forever in our hearts.
    My blog * We made the national news!
  • imagesomewhereincali:
    I didn't put a single pair of pants on my LOs till they were at least 6 months. And very rarely onesies.If I was shopping all over again I would buy nothing but zip sleepers, some with feet and some without. Plus maybe a few onesies.

This. I'd dress mine up for special occasions (Christmas, visiting family) but on a daily basis, they wore sleepers. Once I discovered zip up ones, I hardly ever used the snap ones. Mine were born in early Nov and it was alternating warm and cold those first few months, so it was nice to have a few onesies when it was in the 80s but, for the most part it was sleepers. The only NB sized outfits I had were a dress that was mine and a bubble I bought for DS to coordinate.

Hoods are great for slightly older babies but they freak me out on itty bitties with no head control. I was always worried they were going to choke somehow. Even at a year old, I hated letting them sleep in hooded outfits.  

• Probably fine for the NB size, but get plenty of sleepers in the 0-3 sizes. We used more sleepers than anything else with our singletons. 
    image  image

image image

*Spontaneous* OHSS diagnosed 08.06.2012
    Right ovary removed 09.04.2012 via vertical laparotomy
    Essure implant placed on remaining tube 06.13.2013; successful followup scan 09.30.2013

• I agree - more sleepers. Mine were born at the end of July and wore nothing but sleepers until March or so unless we were going to a party or seeing someone who hadn't met them. My girls were pretty small and wore NB for a while. I'd do at least 7 or 8 sleepers each in NB and 0-3 (unless you're expecting big babies and maybe can skimp on NB) so its easy to keep up with laundry.

ETA: just saw this is EACH. Yes, you have plenty of NB clothes. I'd probably return some of the outfits to be honest. 

• Ditto everyone, my boys are 4 weeks and they live in sleepers and gowns.  
  • I second sleep n plays. And the zip up ones, btw. (Snaps are irritating when you are doing and undoing a gajillion times per day)
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickersImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Ha, I'm glad I'm not the only one :). I feel like all my friends with singletons got their babies dressed everyday. I guess it's a MoM thing, saves time to just keep them in sleepers!
  • With my older son, I learned that halo swaddle sacks and kimono style shirts with the hand mitts worked best for us.  Swaddle sacks have velcro on the back and the swaddle part can be left off for when they're "active" and then the shirts with the mitts keep them from scratching.  I also love hannah anderson booties for staying on well and keeping their feet warm, and their pilot caps for the same reason.  Other than a couple of outfits for pictures, this is all that I've bought for the girls.

Gilt.com had a great halo sleepsack special yesterday - I picked up a bunch for $11 each. 

Identical twin girls born via c-section 12/3/12 Son born 3/26/08
  • Everyone keeps getting me onesies, and I would really like more sleepers. From nanny experience, they are so much more convenient. I have 36 NB onesies, 6 sleepers. Ay yi yi.
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • imagesomewhereincali:
    I didn't put a single pair of pants on my LOs till they were at least 6 months. And very rarely onesies.If I was shopping all over again I would buy nothing but zip sleepers, some with feet and some without. Plus maybe a few onesies.

This. On days when we didn't leave the house - which was often for the first few months - they stayed in PJ's. Even now on days that we stay home they stay in PJ's. They hate pants, so summer has been mostly rompers. On days we put pants on them they end up in just a onesie by the day's end. I don't know if it's because they're very petite or what, but pants get in the way when they're crawling all over. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Rarely used pants or onesies.  They lived in sleepers for a long while unless it was a special occasion.  I highly recommend the sleepers that cover hands and feet.  I couldn't get enough of those!!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers image image image image
  • You need a lot more sleepers. My kids lived in those during the winter. The only time I dressed them in pants was when we went to the dr. If they are going to daycare I would say more outfits like pants/onesies.
    Diagnosis: DOR and MFI-low everything IVF #1 = triplets! 2 girls and a boy! Born Sept 29, 2011 at 32w6d due to Pre-e and HELLP syndrome Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Thanks for the input. Some stuff (the hoodies and pants) were hand-me-downs so I just happen to have them. I think I will get more sleepers in the 0-3 month range. 

Single Mother by Choice. Life didn't work out the way I planned so I did it on my own. IUI #s 1-3, unmedicated = BFN, IUI #s 4-6, 50mg Clomid, Ovidrel = BFN IVF #1: 23R, 20M, 17F. 5 day transfer 2 blasts. 2 Snowbabies BFP 6dp5dt, Beta #1 7dp5dt = 58, Beta #2 9dp5dt = 114, Beta #3 10dp5dt = 187 1st Ultrasound = 5/3, not much to see yet. 2nd Ultrasound = 5/17, TWINS!!! Hospital Bed Rest at 32 weeks due to pre-ecclampsia and severe edema. Audrey Grace, 5lbs9oz, & Lydia Louise, 6lbs, born via emergency c-section on 12/6/12 at 36w1d My IVF Journey
  • I personally think the onesies, pants, and outfits are not useful. They weren't to me, anyway. My boys lived in footed sleepers in the beginning and my main advice to you is get ones with zippers. They make life so much easier for the million diaper changes you'll be doing. My boys wore long sleeve side snap shirts under the sleepers.
    m/c 7/17/10
    Dx: MFI- 3% morph
    IUIs: Gonal-F + Ovidrel + b2b IUI= BFNs
    IVF with ICSI= BFP! EDD 11/25/11
    3/18- Beta #1 452! 3/20- Beta #2 1,026!! 3/27- First u/s- TWINS!
    Our twin boys arrived at 36w5d due to IUGR and a growth discordance

FET: Medicated FET moved up to 5/23 due to ovulation
    Transferred a 6BB hatched blastocyst- genetically normal female embryo
    BFP! 5/28- 5dp6dt      
    6/1 Beta #1- 223! 6/3 Beta #2- 567!

Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.
  • My twins girls came out at 36 weeks at 4 lb 15 oz and 4 lb 12 oz.  I bought some newborn clothes and it still look huge on them so we haven't even touch out 0-3 months clothes.  They go through about 1 or 2 outfit per day (mainly due to spit up). 

I don't like to use anything that require me to go over their heads since they are so small.  I love zip ups and snap up.   

• For the first month or so, mine wore mostly sleepers, too. At night mine slept in Halo Sleep Sacks with velcro, so they just wore onesies under those. They still do now.

We got a TON of 3 month stuff - so much that we never wore some of it. I should have left tags on most of it...rookie mistake!

my blog

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Boy/girl twins born at 37w1d and 37w2d

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• imageMelleTX:

Thanks for the input. Some stuff (the hoodies and pants) were hand-me-downs so I just happen to have them. I think I will get more sleepers in the 0-3 month range. 

Just a word of caution about 0-3 month size.  My babies were both born around 6 pounds and 0-3's SWALLOWED them until they were 3 months old.  My daughter is JUST moving out of NB sizes.  Also, I second the PP that mentioned gowns suck!!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers image image image image
  • I must be an oddball.  I put my babies in onesies and pants every day and then PJ's at night.  They were born at 34w so they were in preemie clothes for a while.  They're 12 weeks old now and my daughter is still wearing 0-3 and there is no end in sight for her (my son is in 3-6). I feel weird having them in PJ's all day even though I know that logically it makes no difference!
    4/08 BFP resulted in m/c
    8/08 BFP resulted in m/c
    3/09 Polyp removed and dx MTHFR (both copies)
    6 Clomid cycles, all BFN
    5/09 IUI#1 with Clomid=BFN
    6/09 IUI#2 with Clomid=BFN
    8/09 IUI#3 with Clomid=BFN
    IVF#1 = BFN
    IVF#2 = BFN
    IVF#3 ET 2 Grade A blasts 11/16/11
    Beta #1: 485
    Beta #2: 2,495
    Lilypie First Birthday tickersimage
    imageimageimage
This discussion has been closed.