2nd Trimester

Serious problems sleeping through the night .. anyone else?

The last few weeks have been brutal.  At 14 weeks, I am absolutely incapable of sleeping through the night.  I haven't yet counted, but I must wake up EVERY night 5-6 times to go pee.  This has been ever since I got pregnant, more so as the weeks progress.

I don't drink excessive amounts of liquid near bedtime, and cut-out caffeine after about mid-day too (the limited amounts that I do drink), and am just so frustrated.  I'm going to discuss it with my doctor at my second prenatal appointment, because I feel the interrupted sleep is contributing to my feeling nauseous in the mornings.

DH joked that it's my body getting ready for when I have to be up feeding the baby every couple of hours. I might agree, but I'm ONLY 14 weeks! I'm nowhere NEAR to doing the whole breastfeeding thing just yet!  Does anyone else have this problem?!

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Serious problems sleeping through the night .. anyone else?

• I don't wake up to pee frequently, but no matter what time I go to sleep I'm WIDE awake from 3:30am-5:30am. The baby definitely sleeps during the day and kicks me all night long. Add in the RLS on occasion, hormones, etc. and sleep is just not very good. It really does help prep you for night waking and feedings though... and at least you don't have to think right now and actually keep your eyes open. GL!
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I would definitely bring it up with your doctor. It's a little early to have to suffer through sleep so much - maybe your Dr can help you.

I'm 24 weeks, I wake up once a night to pee but I've been waking up frequently because my arms go numb & last night I had a charlie horse. You'll hit a point where laying on your back is brutal so I know that's why I'm waking up but it's hard to stay on my side! 

• Loading the player...
  • I've been having problems sleeping but not really so much for the potty breaks. For some reason, I just can't seem to  get comfortable at night even though I'm a side sleeper. I end up tossing and turning all night long, so I'm just dead tired the next day. I keep trying the body pillow to see if that will make things more comfortable, but that doesn't seem to be doing much now. I will talk to my doctor about this and see what he says.
  • I have trouble sleeping, but not really for frequent peeing.  I might wake up here and there and have to pee in the middle of the night, but mostly I'm tossing and turning throughout sleep. 

If I go to sleep between 10:00pm and 10:30pm, I'm wide awake around 4:30am.  It's awful because I don't get another full sleep cycle in before my alarm goes off, so I feel incredibly exhausted and can't get out of bed.  I really need to get this under control!   When I went to bed around 8:30pm a few weeks ago, I slept like a baby and felt great the next day at work.  If only I could do that every night...

BabyFruit Ticker
  • The past week, I wake up short of breath if I roll over on my right side. Consequently, I sleep most of the night on my left side then wake up with a sore shoulder. Pee isn't keeping me up but discomfort is :/
    BabyFruit TickerLilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers 
     TTC since 07/2010 BFP #1 11/10/11 Natural MC at 6w4d BFP #2 01/23/12 MC at 12w. 2x Cytotek 1x Methergen; Genetic testing found Factor V Leiden and MTHFR. Started extra Folic Acid and Baby Aspirin then Lovenox BFP #3 07/02/12 EDD 3/13/13 . Rainbow Baby born at 37 weeks, all natural, after 10 weeks of bedrest. BFP #4 ST. PATTY'S DAY 2014. EDD 11/25/14 
  • I'm with you. At first it was from having to pee so often, but in the past month or so, it's just been plain old insomnia, tossing and turning.

We did go on a short vacation and stayed at a Marriott that had like the most comfortable bed ever, and I slept decently well there. I am thinking about getting some new pillows for my bed at home to see if that helps.

It sucks.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I will say that after a few weeks in second tri, my need to pee in the middle of the night lessened quite a bit. I went from 3-4 times per night to more like 1 or 2. So maybe as you ease your way into second tri you'll get some relief there.

With that said, I still have plenty of trouble sleeping without having to physically get up and use the bathroom. Some nights are better than others, but discomfort in my back and hips has become more of a problem now. And sometimes I seem to wake up for no reason at all. I guess there will always be something. Hopefully your OB will have some ideas for you, but I'm leaning towards the whole "every pregnancy is different" thing and poor sleep just comes with the territory.

BabyFruit Ticker

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • This week has been really rough also. I toss and turn throughout the night. The baby I believe sleeps throughout the day but is active at night. Its so strange. No matter how late I go to bed, about 4-4:30 im up tossing and turning and going to pee. Then I fight to go back to sleep.  Its terrible and its been like this everyday since 14 weeks.
  • Around 14 weeks I was waking up almost every hour on the dot to use the bathroom and that continued until about 18-19 weeks. Now I wake up less frequently, but I'm awake more between 2:30-4:00 because of heartburn. And feeling so hungry I can't sleep. Maybe there will be relief in the second tri? Although, somehow I seriously doubt it! 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • What your experiencing is totally normal. Even if I don't pee all the time throughout the night, some nights are still rougher than others for me. I take Benadryl at night. Not every night, but at least 3 nights a week and when I do I wake less frequently. My doctor okayed me to take it because I could not sleep during my first trimester. Maybe ask your doctor if it's okay for you to take too! Good luck :)

If you knew how lonely my life has been And how long I've been so alone And if you knew how I wanted someone to come along And change my life the way you've done

Baby Names - BabyNamey.com Name Badge Ticker Baby Names - BabyNamey.com Name Badge Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker

pregnancy

Anniversary
  • Okay, this is SUCH a relief to hear that others are experiencing similar things (even if it's not related to peeing, just difficulty sleeping in general).  Thanks all for your contributions!

I'll defo bring it up with the doctor next time I see her, I can't keep going like this for the next 180 days!  Definitely hoping it subsides before then though, because that's still another 4 or 5 weeks off, haha.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Tylenol PM has saved my life! :) I take one pill instead of the full dosage, and it usually works. 

I will also say, something I've noticed is that your body is possibly not waking you up to pee, but rather making you NEED to pee because you woke up. It's got something to do with the state of sleep you're in.

Good luck!  

EDD#1 12/5/12 Born 11/21/12 My LB is better than your LB.BrittanyDoesDerby 4 LYFE!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    EDD#2 2.20.16 I love you already! <3

BabyFruit Ticker
    FEB16 Siggy Challenge Fave TV mom
  • I've certainly been having sleeping issues. It used to be because I kept peeing but I stopped drinking a lot after 7 and that has helped, I only do it 1 or 2x a night. NOW my issue is comfort. I like sleeping on my side but something still isn't comfortable and it's SO irritating !!! I'm thinking about getting a body pillow but I'm hesitant because they're so much money.. ;/ 
    Pregnancy Ticker Owner & Creator of www.GreatestKidsGames.com
  • Totally normal. I have not slept through the night since 10 weeks. It starts early as your kidneys will expand to be able to handle the extra fluid your body will produce and then then it continues as your uterus grows and begins to press on your bladder. I average about 2 hours of sleep in between each wake-up. You will quickly get used to it.
    Single Mother by Choice. Life didn't work out the way I planned so I did it on my own. IUI #s 1-3, unmedicated = BFN, IUI #s 4-6, 50mg Clomid, Ovidrel = BFN IVF #1: 23R, 20M, 17F. 5 day transfer 2 blasts. 2 Snowbabies BFP 6dp5dt, Beta #1 7dp5dt = 58, Beta #2 9dp5dt = 114, Beta #3 10dp5dt = 187 1st Ultrasound = 5/3, not much to see yet. 2nd Ultrasound = 5/17, TWINS!!! Hospital Bed Rest at 32 weeks due to pre-ecclampsia and severe edema. Audrey Grace, 5lbs9oz, & Lydia Louise, 6lbs, born via emergency c-section on 12/6/12 at 36w1d My IVF Journey
  • Same here, sister.  I used to sleep like a rock but now anything can wake me up and then I stay awake.  But during the day, I'm exhausted.

It doesn't help that I seem to just naturally pee more at night.  Womp womp.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Yes, I get up at least two times a night.  I can speak from experience with breastfeeding that it really disrupts your sleep.  I am on a plan for this week to not drink liquids after 8pm so that maybe I can sleep more consistently.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I haven't slept through the night for the last 3 months :( I feel great if I go 4 hours without waking up. If I'm not up to pee, then I'm trying to find a better sleeping position. It stinks, but I guess I better get used to it.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"