Baby Names

Double middle names...

We just found out yesterday that we are having a boy!  We are so excited and already have planned to name him Otto.  We have no other boys on either sides of our family so we have decided to give him a double middle name to honor both of our dads.  It will be James Leroy.  First, how does that order sound: Otto James Leroy?  Or Otto Leroy James?  And second, should we hyphenate the middle names?  I hadn't even thought of that until someone brought it up yesterday.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Double middle names...

• I have a few family members with double middles names, and I love it. I wouldn't hyphenate them, though.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I love Otto, what a great name!  I think James Leroy sounds the best, and I don't think it needs to be hyphenated.
  • Loading the player...
  • I love the name Otto! If you go with the double MN, I wouldn't hyphenate them. I think it would look too weird. And I prefer James Leroy over Leroy James... I think it has better flow.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    TTC#1!
    12/1999: Dx with Endometriosis (age 12)
    5/2001: Ruptured appendix, massive scar tissue
    6/2005:Dx with Interstitial Cystitis
    9/2005: Gall bladder removed due to problems from cysts
    7/2006: Officially Dx with Fibromyalgia (age 18)
    2/2010: Partial left ovarian torsion

10/2012: SA = Low Motility
    11/2012: Surgery #5 to remove scar tissue & paratubal cyst
    HSG: Right tube blocked; unable to clear
  • 1. I love Otto.

2. Otto James Leroy sounds best.

3. Don't hyphenate.

4. Congrats on your boy! I'm sure the family is very excited! 

VOTE on my Name List

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

• I love Otto! Good choice! And Otto James Leroy sounds the best, although the other option works too. It's so nice that you're honouring both dad's - they'll love it :) I wouldn't hyphenate.... I'm not a huge fan of the hyphen in names. 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

• I like James Leroy. Flows nicely. Love James alone too.

The double MN really throws me. I currently have 2 middle names due to wanting to keep my maiden name when I got married and not being able to drop my given middle name without going to court. It is such a hassle.

image     image  image
       Maverick James 01.07.2012                  * Married 01.23.2010 *                     Harper Skye 01.24.2013

• imagealliejo725:

1. I love Otto.

3. Don't hyphenate.

Yes this. It would be annoying to fill out forms and such with a hyphen.

• imagealliejo725:

1. I love Otto.

3. Don't hyphenate.

This!  I think if you hyphenate, it would look like a joint last name used as a middle name, and would just look weird.

BabyFetus Ticker; Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagemtm0109:

I like James Leroy. Flows nicely. Love James alone too.

The double MN really throws me. I currently have 2 middle names due to wanting to keep my maiden name when I got married and not being able to drop my given middle name without going to court. It is such a hassle.

I have a brother (2 boys out of 7 kids and all those kids have girls :o) ) that has a double middle name and he mostly only uses the first one.  I definitely want to include Leroy as it's my Dad's middle name and he has never had anyone named after him.  His first name is Mark and I don't think that works as well.

• You might have to pick one for a single middle initial for some forms or you can let him pick when he gets to school.  I'm thinking things like SATs (waaaaay in the future) but some schools have other forms for younger kids that only have one place for a middle initial.  That's pretty much the only big reason I can think I would avoid it.  

It's close to the reason they gave me when I tried to get my name changed after getting married.  I wanted First Middle Maiden Married (FMMM), but the SSN office told me there was only one middle initial on the forms (FMM).

I'm not sure if the woman who did my new name was right or not, but it is something to consider.  If they won't let you do it, nothing says you can't use two middle names everywhere but SSN forms.
  • I would go with Otto James Leroy without hyphenating.
  • imageTTiger03:

You might have to pick one for a single middle initial for some forms or you can let him pick when he gets to school.  I'm thinking things like SATs (waaaaay in the future) but some schools have other forms for younger kids that only have one place for a middle initial.  That's pretty much the only big reason I can think I would avoid it.  

It's close to the reason they gave me when I tried to get my name changed after getting married.  I wanted First Middle Maiden Married (FMMM), but the SSN office told me there was only one middle initial on the forms (FMM).

I'm not sure if the woman who did my new name was right or not, but it is something to consider.  If they won't let you do it, nothing says you can't use two middle names everywhere but SSN forms.

Interesting at the SS office I wanted First, maiden, married drop my middle name. And they said no, I couldnt do that. SO now I have First, middle, maiden, married.

image     image  image
       Maverick James 01.07.2012                  * Married 01.23.2010 *                     Harper Skye 01.24.2013

• imagebabydollaudie:
    imagemtm0109:

I like James Leroy. Flows nicely. Love James alone too.

I have a brother (2 boys out of 7 kids and all those kids have girls :o) ) that has a double middle name and he mostly only uses the first one.  I definitely want to include Leroy as it's my Dad's middle name and he has never had anyone named after him.  His first name is Mark and I don't think that works as well.

Totally  understand :)

image     image  image

• I adore Otto James Leroy, I think it flows the nicest, and I wouldn't personally hyphenate it... I have a friend whose middle name was hyphenated, and it just makes for a really long name, since legally she doesn't have an option of putting down just one name. 
    :)
    Otto is adorable.

BFP #1 - July 28, 2013.
    EDD: April 9, 2014
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"