Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Drying up your milk...

What worked for you to dry up your milk? How long did it take?

"Fast" methods appreciated!

XPed in August because those are my main mamas!

A12 Sig Challenge - Favorite Fall Show!
SCANDAL!

Re: Drying up your milk...

• Nothing!  I kept icing them as much as I could and took my PP motrin religiously (not sure if that helped).  I tried cabbage with DD1 but that did not work so I didn't waste my time for DD2.  It took me like 12 days....it was awful.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I'm still waiting...nothing is painful yet though..I can express milk still..its been about 4 days since I breast fed...no one has any info on this and no guide lines for bottle feeding either..only breast feeding, so I am a bit annoyed at that..so many resources for breast feeding (which is good) but then NOTHING for bottle feeding. Not everyone can get the hang of breast feeding and I applaud the women that can.
  • Loading the player...
  • imageesalyi:
    I'm still waiting...nothing is painful yet though..I can express milk still..its been about 4 days since I breast fed...no one has any info on this and no guide lines for bottle feeding either..only breast feeding, so I am a bit annoyed at that..so many resources for breast feeding (which is good) but then NOTHING for bottle feeding. Not everyone can get the hang of breast feeding and I applaud the women that can.

My thoughts exactly! 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Mine dried up in a little over a week, I used cabbage, wore ace bandage wraps to compress them and then a tight bralette or sports bra. It's painful the first couple of days.
    And when you shower try not to let the warm water hit them too much. And also try not to express any of the milk, it's a supply demand thing so the more you express the more your body produces.
    Good luck to you ladies!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • imageamyrenee2008:
    Mine dried up in a little over a week, I used cabbage, wore ace bandage wraps to compress them and then a tight bralette or sports bra. It's painful the first couple of days.
    And when you shower try not to let the warm water hit them too much. And also try not to express any of the milk, it's a supply demand thing so the more you express the more your body produces.
    Good luck to you ladies!

This
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • The fastest method is cold turkey, but it sucks... That's what I did for the most part. Once or twice a day I would hand express about an ounce to relieve a bit of the pressure, but even then I was in serious pain. Get lots of breast pads. You will go through them like crazy. Also, wear dark colors because you WILL have leaks. Try taking an antihistamine. That helps dry things up. Also, stock up on some pain reliever for the swelling and discomfort. It took me about three weeks to be completely dry. 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I haven't done it yet but I heard I dont know if it's true that altoids will dry your milk up. And if it doesn't work at least you'd have fresh breath.
  • Sudafed daily.  high amounts of mint and sage.
  • Tight ass sports bra (maybe one from before being pregnant?). Cold compresses and pain meds for the discomfort (I used my 600 mg motron from my c/s) and Peppermint (if you go to a healthfood store you should be able to find it in capsules). After two days I stopped pumping and the pain increased for about a day, but then started to decrease after that.

I heard sage (and lots of it--so capsules for this too would be bes tunless you want to smell like you ate Italian food for a week) also works.

The pain lasted for about a week...after that it became toloreable and within 14-17 days I was back to my pre-pregnancy boobies.

The worst part is the discomfort while trying to hold/care for LO.

GL! You are really just going to have to power through...make sure your SO helps you as much as possible during this time...ask for help when you need it.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker

• I am in this process on day three. I have been taking Sudafed, Motrin and started back on my birth control pill which is supposed to help. I have been doing cabbage compress and only expressing a little to get relief. Also wearing tight bras around the clock. This morning when I got up my left had not leaked at all. Still tender though. GL!
  • Sudafed and a tight bra did the trick for me. I want to say it took about 3-5 days. After about 3ish days, I had significantly less milk and by day 5 it was pretty much gone.
    Photobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"