2nd Trimester

anxiety and all that comes with it

i had anxiety and panic attacks about a year ago and its under control now. but whenever i feel a bit weird, i feel like my anxiety comes back and it freaks me out.

i get constant headaches every single day and at times i feel light headed...what could be causing it and what medication can i take. im already taking a pregnancy pill that has vitamins and iron.

im just scared that my anxiety/panic attacks will come back or be worse as i get closer to my due date

Re: anxiety and all that comes with it

• I suffer from anxiety and recently saw a Dr regarding it. Once you are out of the first trimester, prozac and zoloft are safe. I have been on prozac for almost two weeks. I have noticed a decrease in my anxiety and panic attacks. Talk to your Dr.
  • All Hail Zoloft!!   I had to stop taking cymbalta when I was TTC my prior pregnancies.  They switched me to zoloft to keep my anxiety and panic to a minimum.  Doesn't work as well as cymbalta but it takes the edge off.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Agree with pp about talking to your doc about some anxiety meds. I don't have anxiety, but my husband has dealt with it and your worries sound familiar.

For what it's worth, I get lots of headaches and get dizzy frequently. Pretty normal for pregnancy. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • I have suffered from anxiety on and off (mostly on) ever since age 17.  Like PP said there are some medications that are safe to control your panic attacks.

Having said that, it might not be panic attacks that you are having at all.  Like you, I've had dizzy spells and headaches... everything that feels like a panic attack coming on.  I've been put off work by my doc because of it.  It happens mostly when I am standing still, such as in a checkout line.  It turns out that my blood pressure is lower than normal and that this is a contributing factor.  Has your doctor discussed BP with you at all?  Even if it's not low enough to be worrisome, if it's lower than normal it can cause the symptoms you are feeling.  It can also be caused by hunger or dehydration.  Try to make sure you're getting enough water throughout the day.  I think I don't drink as much as I am supposed to, but I try :)  Also when you are at home, if possible, try to rest as much as you can.

If you've been drinking lots of water and getting enough rest, and don't appear to have issues with low blood pressure, then I'd definitely approach your doc about the anxiety and ask for a safe med to take.  You definitely don't want to have panic attacks, especially while PG.

• I have panic and anxiety and am taking Effexor this round. It's not helping much, but since this is my 2nd pregnancy I will tell you that because all of the fluctuating hormones, it's very likely it is causing your anxiety to come back. Something you can't help. If you REALLY feel bad and it's affecting your everyday life, talk to your doctor or midwife. Good luck!!

If you knew how lonely my life has been And how long I've been so alone And if you knew how I wanted someone to come along And change my life the way you've done

Baby Names - BabyNamey.com Name Badge Ticker Baby Names - BabyNamey.com Name Badge Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker

pregnancy

Anniversary
  • imagemoonglow_84:

I have suffered from anxiety on and off (mostly on) ever since age 17.  Like PP said there are some medications that are safe to control your panic attacks.

Having said that, it might not be panic attacks that you are having at all.  Like you, I've had dizzy spells and headaches... everything that feels like a panic attack coming on.  I've been put off work by my doc because of it.  It happens mostly when I am standing still, such as in a checkout line.  It turns out that my blood pressure is lower than normal and that this is a contributing factor.  Has your doctor discussed BP with you at all?  Even if it's not low enough to be worrisome, if it's lower than normal it can cause the symptoms you are feeling.  It can also be caused by hunger or dehydration.  Try to make sure you're getting enough water throughout the day.  I think I don't drink as much as I am supposed to, but I try :)  Also when you are at home, if possible, try to rest as much as you can.

If you've been drinking lots of water and getting enough rest, and don't appear to have issues with low blood pressure, then I'd definitely approach your doc about the anxiety and ask for a safe med to take.  You definitely don't want to have panic attacks, especially while PG.

This- the panic attack is a physical reaction and something else may be causing a reaction that feels similar to the onset of a panic attack causing you to worry. Along with everything already mentioned make sure you keep your blood sugar up- eat snacks throughout the day, get some protein in when you can (hard boiled egg, almonds, etc.), stay hydrated! HTH

• I've suffered with anxiety and panic attacks my entire life. When I was 19 it hit hard and I couldn't function. They gave me medication and it made my life a living he!!. I was seriously messed up for about 7 years. About 2 years ago it started coming back, but I had been off medication for so long that I refused to go back on it. I talked to a nurse and she told me about pressure points. Now whenever I feel one coming on, I quickly squish it by pressing my thumb against my wrists, (the same pressure point to avoid sea sickness/nausea.) I also put a cool compress behind my neck.

I know anxiety is different for everyone, but this works for a lady who seriously hates medication. ;) 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"