3rd Trimester

Doctor's Appointments - What to expect in final stretch?

So at my last appointment, they told me I would now start coming in every week until my delivery.  I was just wondering what to expect for these final appointments?  So far, most of my appointments have consisted of leaving as sample, getting weighed/blood pressure and a brief visit with the doctor to listen to heartbeat and measure my belly.  Do these appointments start to get more involved at this point?  Thanks!    

Re: Doctor's Appointments - What to expect in final stretch?

• The weekly appointments for me included:

urine sample, weight check, blood pressure check, asking about swelling/cramping, belly measurements, internal exams.

I had my first internal two or three weeks before my due date and had one at every appointment after that until I was admitted.

Your doc will probably ask you about your birth plan, if you want meds that kind of stuff.  I suggest if you think of questions in between appointments to write them down or text them to yourself so you won't forget to ask.

Congrats on the home stretch!!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • The weeklies are a lot like the monthies, though at some point you'll start to get internal exams. Other than that they are pretty much the same.

When my weeklies started, my doctor started off every visit with "Hi! No contractions? No bleeding? Water hasn't broken? Not in labor? Good. How are you feeling?" and then she'd measure me, listen to the heartbeat, ask if I had any questions, tell me anything she needed to tell me, and then send me on my way. I didn't get an internal exam until my 39 week appointment. Some doctors start internals earlier than others, and if you have GBS your doctor might hold off on the internals to avoid "stirring things up" as my doctor put it.

BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • My weekly appts start at 36 weeks. It's the 36w appt they do the GBS test. Other than that they all have internal exams to see if there is any dialation or effacement. They listen to the HB & do a fundal height measurement just like all the other appointments.
    imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • image526SadieSadie:

The weekly appointments for me included:

urine sample, weight check, blood pressure check, asking about swelling/cramping, belly measurements, internal exams.

I had my first internal two or three weeks before my due date and had one at every appointment after that until I was admitted.

Your doc will probably ask you about your birth plan, if you want meds that kind of stuff.  I suggest if you think of questions in between appointments to write them down or text them to yourself so you won't forget to ask.

Congrats on the home stretch!!

Yes  This

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Thanks everyone..  this is my first pregnancy, I just wasn't sure if or when the appointments became more involved.  I love my doctor, but I've been on the rotation for the last few appointments (our hospital is small and I needed to meet all the OB's in case my primary OB was not on call when I went into labor).  I will be back with him next week, and I had planned to ask him the same question, but I wanted to see what others had experienced.  Do they do another ultrasound to check the position of the baby?  How or when do you know if baby is breech?
  • Pretty much everyone I talk to has internals when they go weekly. I started having internal exams at 36 weeks and will this time too. Otherwise, it's the same as the other appts.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"