Babies: 9 - 12 Months
Options

ANEMIA!!??!!

My son was recently diagnosed as being anemic at his 9 month check up.  This was a complete surprise considering he has tons of energy, was sleeping great and actually has a beautiful tan right now. 

We were advised by our Doc to supplement with liquid iron daily and to introduce meats into his diet, as well as iron rich veggies until his 12 month check up.

My question to you is what dosage did you doctor prescribe of the liquid iron (I know every baby has different needs/different dosage) but I'm curious to see what advise you were given.

Also, did it stain your babies teeth? If so how did you manage the stain, and was it permanent?

Any feedback is much appreciated!

Luke's Mom :o

Re: ANEMIA!!??!!

• Options
    our pedi,recommend 1 dropperfull daily,I also give him wheatgerm everyday on his yogurt,wheatgerm has a lot of iron,and black bean too,make sure to give him plum or pear juice to help him poo,iron make babies constipated,I usually give my LO papaya with plain yogurt and a baby spoon of wheatgerm,it helps him poo rigth away.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    My son's iron levels were at 10.2 at 11 months, 9.8 a week later.  At that point we started the Fer-In-Sol, 1.2 mL every day (just more than a dropperful).  After 3 days his levels are up to 10.6 so we'll keep with it a month and re-check then.  My son also has no visible signs of anemia so I was surprised.  I was hoping to raise the levels with diet, but that week it went from 10.2 to 9.8 so I resigned myself to the iron supplements.  No teeth staining here, at least not yet.
    imageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    How do they know? Do they do a blood test? No one has ever mentioned my kids iron levels... Just curious!
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options

imageldcoffel:
    How do they know? Do they do a blood test? No one has ever mentioned my kids iron levels... Just curious!

We did a blood draw between then 9 and 12 month appointment to check iron levels and for lead.  From talking with other parents, pediatricians differ on if this is necessary, but my pedi is extra cautious.  For just iron, it can be a finger prick in the office, but that isn't as accurate as a full draw from a vein (I'm sure that terminology is not right, but hopefully gives you an idea of what I mean).

imageimage
  • Options
    FYI the iron in meats/animal products is absorbed much more efficiently than the iron in vegetables/beans. Iron also needs vitamin C to be better absorbed so should be taken at the same time as fruits or veggies. 

Baby #1: m/c at 5 weeks (2011)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 
    Baby #3: missed m/c found at 11.5 weeks (2013)
    Baby #4: missed m/c at 10 weeks (2013)
    Baby #5: m/c at 6 weeks (2014)
    Baby #6: Saw a heartbeat at 7w, baby stopped growing at 7w1d, found at 8w u/s : d&c  (2014)

Hoping for my lucky #7 (one last try!)
  • Options

::lurking:: My son is very anemic and was diagnosed at his 9 month appointment. He gets between 1-2 droppers full of the liquid iron per day, depending on how constipated it makes him. 

Even 9 months later, I've never noticed it stain his teeth. However, the constipation is no joke. Make sure you offer lots of water and fruit.  

imageimage
    BFP # 1- DS ~ TTC #2 since Jan. 2012 - BFP # 2 - "Baby Elsie" - Blighted Ovum - D&C August 22, 2012 at 7w3d, BFP # 3 - CP - December 30, 2012, BFP # 4 - CP - March 19, 2013 ~ First RE Appt. 4/24/13 Med cycle #1: 50mg Clomid and Trigger shot = BFN. Med. Cycle #2: 6 cysts found. No meds/rest cycle. Trying on our own = BFP # 5! Beta #1 = 77, Beta #2 = 129 Beta #3 = 94 - CP - July 2, 2013. BFP # 6! Beta#1 = 21, Beta#2 =58 Beta#3 = 134. U/S shows heartbeat of 142 at 7w2d!
  • Options
    DD is anemic and on 2 dropperfuls of iron per day.  Her teeth have been fine, but it stains clothes!  I always give them to her when she is in just a diaper.  I have yet to find anything that will take out the iron stains on her shirts.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

imageldcoffel:

We did a toe prick at the 9 mos appt for lead check cos of my husband's job and staying in an old house at my grandparents during the day, but not sure if they checked iron (don't think). My doc mentioned they do the check at the 12 mos appt (same way through the toe prick). We were offered a blood draw through the vein too, but we would've had to go to the hospital and not sure how that would work with a wiggle worm, so we decided on the toe prick (she didn't even cry...and she normally screams at shots...)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"