3rd Trimester

I am at a loss...

I have been having contractions 1-2 mins apart for about 4 days now. I called my OB and she sent me to L&D and they hooked me up and confirmed it. She looks great on the monitor and so do the contractions. I am 1cm and 75% but they sent me home cause I wasn't really progressing. My question is, how will I know when real labor begins because the contractions really haven't slowed down. I was induced with DD due to medical issues, so I never went into labor on my own. I asked the OB that was on call at the hospital and the best answer he gave me was, you can't go past 5cm until your water breaks, so call if that happens or you feel lack of movement. I was like wow that is real comforting. I live an hour almost from the hospital and I don't know if I feel comfortable waiting for my water to break to head to the hospital. I just didn't know if you ladies had any advice. TIA!
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: I am at a loss...

• I guess I don't really have much advice, but I can tell you that it is 100% possible to go past 5cm and not have your water break.  When they checked me after I got to the hospital with DS I was 7cm.  The broke my water for me when I was 8cm.  So that dr is full of bananas.  I would say if the contractions get more painful or you start feeling more pressure then to go. 
  • imagewawa84:
    I guess I don't really have much advice, but I can tell you that it is 100% possible to go past 5cm and not have your water break.  When they checked me after I got to the hospital with DS I was 7cm.  The broke my water for me when I was 8cm.  So that dr is full of bananas.  I would say if the contractions get more painful or you start feeling more pressure then to go. 

I second this, I was past 8cm when dr broke my water last time.  I would go if the contractions get more painful/intense.  

SS10 - SD9 - DD7 - DS5 - DS born 10/3/12
  • Loading the player...
  • imageRaspberry807:

imagewawa84:
    I guess I don't really have much advice, but I can tell you that it is 100% possible to go past 5cm and not have your water break.  When they checked me after I got to the hospital with DS I was 7cm.  The broke my water for me when I was 8cm.  So that dr is full of bananas.  I would say if the contractions get more painful or you start feeling more pressure then to go. 

I second this, I was past 8cm when dr broke my water last time.  I would go if the contractions get more painful/intense.  

Thirding this. I went in at 6 cm dilated, and the doctor had to break my water hours later, when I was like 8 or 9 cm.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I have been having cOntractions since 32 wks. The Ob said I'm now to wait for very painful contractions or pressure or other symptom before going in.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • imageAngelGirl37351:
    I have been having contractions 1-2 mins apart for about 4 days now. I called my OB and she sent me to L&D and they hooked me up and confirmed it. She looks great on the monitor and so do the contractions. I am 1cm and 75% but they sent me home cause I wasn't really progressing. My question is, how will I know when real labor begins because the contractions really haven't slowed down. I was induced with DD due to medical issues, so I never went into labor on my own. I asked the OB that was on call at the hospital and the best answer he gave me was, you can't go past 5cm until your water breaks, so call if that happens or you feel lack of movement. I was like wow that is real comforting. I live an hour almost from the hospital and I don't know if I feel comfortable waiting for my water to break to head to the hospital. I just didn't know if you ladies had any advice. TIA!

Didnt read the rest of the replies, but I just wanted to tell you that this is absolutely not true. Babies can be born "in the caul", which is when the baby is born with the bag of waters still intact (they break it then when this happens.)

I just learned that early labor can last for daaaays. My advice would be to rest, eat good wholesome foods, and try to sleep as much as you possibly can. Rest rest rest! 

A woman's life is nine parts mess to one part magic, you'll learn that soon enough...and the parts that look like magic turn out to be the messiest of all.
  • imagewawa84:

wow I can't believe they said that.  I was 9.5 cm and my water still hadn't broken.  They actually had to break my water..  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I had a very similar experience with DS--with DD I had no clue I was in labor (didnt feel the contractions);  with DS I did feel something but I didnt progress (plus I was 36wk and they wanted to keep him in until at least 37) was kept overnite but got sent home the next day.  I went back 2 days later cuz the contractions were getting stronger (they werent any closer together).  I was a RCS and they waited until 1hr into my 37th wk and took him.  I would go back to L&D whenever you think you need to---worse that can happen is they'll send you home but at least you'll have peace of mind.  GL!!    
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • I will tell you I have had 8 children, and am unable to dialate past 4-5 without my water being broken, It is very hard, because you will have the contractions that send everyone else into labor, but because you are not dialating they send you home.  Ask your doctor how long he expects you to do this, because I know for me I can not sleep hardly at all and have been made to wait up to a week, but until my water was broken by the doctor I would never progress. This is not the norm, but it is me!!! Also make sure you do not have a small infection like urinary tract infection, or slightly dehydrated, these can increase contractions before labor is ready. Good luck, and talk to your doctor about how to proceed.
  • imageverndolly:
    I will tell you I have had 8 children, and am unable to dialate past 4-5 without my water being broken, It is very hard, because you will have the contractions that send everyone else into labor, but because you are not dialating they send you home.  Ask your doctor how long he expects you to do this, because I know for me I can not sleep hardly at all and have been made to wait up to a week, but until my water was broken by the doctor I would never progress. This is not the norm, but it is me!!! Also make sure you do not have a small infection like urinary tract infection, or slightly dehydrated, these can increase contractions before labor is ready. Good luck, and talk to your doctor about how to proceed.

This is exactly how I feel. The contractions are taking my breath and I have pretty good pressure down below. I have an appt tomorrow. I will be sure to talk to my OB and ask her for sure how long she expects me to continue like this. Thanks ladies for all your responses. I knew when the dr at L&D told me that about the water breaking, that it sounded completely wrong.

• Completely agreeing with PP re: water breaking.  DS was born early and my water never broke and the Dr birthed him in it - it actually made it a safer/more cushy passage for him and she broke the water once his head was out.  Don't wait for your water.  And I was also at least 5 cm before I started to feel any real pain and by that point, DS was born an hour and a half later.  So if you're that far from the hospital, I'd just keep going in until they keep you - unless getting a hotel closer to the hosp is an option? (of course that could get very expensive...)
  • imagemabenner1:
    imageRaspberry807:

imagewawa84:

Thirding this. I went in at 6 cm dilated, and the doctor had to break my water hours later, when I was like 8 or 9 cm.

Yep, I went in and was at ten and my water only broke when the nurse stuck her digits in to check my dilation status. There will come a time when you will know. Your body will tell you to push or scream and that means it's time, however, if you're an hour from the hospital, if you start to feel like you need to go in at all, I would. I can't imagine having baby in the car on the way because I wanted to make sure this time.. to hell with making sure! You're nervous? Go in!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker IAmPregnant Ticker
  • Yeah, um, you can totally go past 5 cm without your water breaking. Also, I was told that the duration/ strength of a contraction is what dictates active labor. When your contractions are a minute long, it's time to head in. Because of the distance you have to travel, maybe 50 seconds is a good point. Early labor can last hours, or it can take days. Everyone's a little different. I just can't believe they told you you can't go past 5cm without your water breaking. I'm a FTM and I know that's not right, why doesn't the doctor??? 
  • I don't want to scare you but that statement is NOT true.  With DD #2 I was 8 cm upon arrival at the hospital and my water had not broken.  Actually within 40 mins of arrival at the hospital I felt the uncontrolable urge to push because she was so low and my water still hadn't broken.  I think it is rare, as when I told them I had to push and they checked my the dr said wow I can't believe you still have broken your water.  So they broke it and 2 pushes later my DD was here.  almost exactly 1 hour from arrival at the hospital.  So your water definitely does not have to break to be in full labor and ready to deliver.
  • I got to the hospital with my first DD I was 7cm.  They eventually had to break my water.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"