2nd Trimester

Anyone screen positive for toxoplasmosis antibodies?

My bloodworm came back yesterday, and it showed I have never been exposed. I was pretty shocked.

I have five outdoor cats who bring home mice every night all summer long. I work at a vet. There are almost always five cats on my desk at work. I grew up with outdoor cats, my job was to change the cat box. I spent summers volunteering to help out in an animal shelter (often changing boxes!)  I have spent years gardening without gloves, not stressing about hand washing. Before I was pregnant, I often would pick up a little half dead mouse from the cat and release it..with my bare hands. Yet I was still never exposed?!?

I don't change the cat box in any case, these days. But has anyone come back as having been exposed? I would have been certain that I'd been exposed. I guess not?

BabyFetus Ticker
Home in the bush.

Re: Anyone screen positive for toxoplasmosis antibodies?

• Er. Blood work. Not bloodworm. Ew.
    BabyFetus Ticker
    Home in the bush.
  • They didn't give me a titer for it as I'm not handling cats or excrement... but my parents usually kept three cats in our home (if one died, they'd get a new one), and I have changed more than my share of boxes in my life. I would probably be surprised if I was negative for antibodies if it were me, too... but it's always possible you've just always been very good about washing your hands and keeping your hands away from your mouth/eyes/nose... or that your antibodies gradually dissipated after a lull in cat interaction, I suppose. I believe the statistics for the US are only something like 10% of people having the antibodies anyway, so it isn't extremely common. 
    image  image

image image

*Spontaneous* OHSS diagnosed 08.06.2012
    Right ovary removed 09.04.2012 via vertical laparotomy
    Essure implant placed on remaining tube 06.13.2013; successful followup scan 09.30.2013

• Loading the player...
  • Yup I?m a crazy cat lady Big Smile

Not news for me really as I grew up with the jungle of Borneo right outside my door during the late 70?s and early 80?s. My parents worked with animals - both wild and tame - sick and healthy. And I spent my early years pretty much unsupervised and running about barefoot. The logic being  that what didn?t kill me - and the dangers were actually real - lol! -  would make me stronger. Hippie parents - go figure Smile

DH still does the cat litter trays though just cz they are getting harder to bend down to reach.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • image101Mims:

Yup I?m a crazy cat lady Big Smile

Not news for me really as I grew up with the jungle of Borneo right outside my door during the late 70?s and early 80?s. My parents worked with animals - both wild and tame - sick and healthy. And I spent my early years pretty much unsupervised and running about barefoot. The logic being  that what didn?t kill me - and the dangers were actually real - lol! -  would make me stronger. Hippie parents - go figure Smile

DH still does the cat litter trays though just cz they are getting harder to bend down to reach.

Your little guy has the most precious legs I have ever seen!!!! <3 

If you knew how lonely my life has been And how long I've been so alone And if you knew how I wanted someone to come along And change my life the way you've done

Baby Names - BabyNamey.com Name Badge Ticker Baby Names - BabyNamey.com Name Badge Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker

pregnancy

Anniversary
  • As long as I can remember, I grew up with 3-4 cats - indoor/outdoor, and since my mother never thought much of preventative care, they were never vaccinated or had routine vet care (awful, I know). As an adult, I've always had cats.

I was also really surprised when it came back negative for me, as well. Although really glad, because it just confirms for my DH that I can't take care of the litter box ;)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm a registered vet tech of 14 years and have also never been exposed. What most people don't realize is that for toxo to be infectious the stools must sit for 48 hrs. At our office litter boxes are changed twice daily and I can imagine most people change theirs daily as well. Just to be safe, I wear gloves and a mask.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"