Baby Names

Do you know how this is pronounced?

I THINK we've narrowed down our name for our boy.  The middle name is set in stone but we've had a little trouble with the first name.  When you see this name, do you know how it's pronounced?

Rhys

I personally love the spelling and it's the more original, English, traditional way to spell Reece.  Also, how do you think it flows?

Rhys Brennan

Is the spelling too wacky?  And regarding the flow, the last name starts with a T and is 2 syllables.  And I guess if you looked at my screenname you could probably figure out what that is too, haha. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Father's Day at the beach 2014 Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Anniversary

Re: Do you know how this is pronounced?

• Rees
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • That is the only way I like it spelled. Good name.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • I think most people on this board will know how to pronounce it, so another board might give you a more...accurate (?) response. I do really like it, though.
  • Because of this board I know how it is pronounce. But I used to think it was "Rice".

BabyFruit Ticker
    16 Ch. du Barrage, Lac-Beauport

• Because I know that this is the correct way to actually spell this name, I know how it's pronounced and I like it this way.  Unfortunately, many others may not because you don't see it often anymore and when you do it's Reece.  It sucks. 
  • imagehillaryj01:
    I know how to pronounce it because of this board. If I had seen it before joining the board, I wouldn't know how it was pronounced. I really like it though

This.

• Yes and I prefer this spelling for a boy.  Reese is ok for a girl (even though I know this board generally does not like the name for a girl).
    BFP 1/8/10, MC 1/15/10 | BFP 3/20/10, MC 6/24/10 | BFP 12/13/10...EDD 8/22/11...DD born 6/7/11 @ 29 weeks 1 day Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I've always known how it was pronounced; it is a surname in my family. If you like the spelling, use it. I have a name that is always mispronounced and it has never bothered me to correct people. I'm happy my parents put thought into my name and I wasn't one of five girls in my class with the same name.

bfp#4 3/19/2014 edd 12/1/2014 please let this be the one!

beta @ 5w0d = 12,026! u/s 4/22/14 @ 8w1d it's twins!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Yes, I know how it is spelled. But I'm a bit of a name nerd...as most of us here are. Will some people mispronounce it? Yes. Will someone spell it as Reese/Reece? Yes. Will someone incorrectly think it is a you-neek spelling? Probably. Should you still use it if you like it? Absolutely!

I think the flow is fine.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I'd pronounce it like "rice" and I love Brennan!
  • I know how it's pronounced.  That is absolutely how I would spell the name for a boy.
    Married to my best friend 6/5/10
    BFP #1 9/7/10, EDD 5/14/11, Violet born 5/27/11.
    BFP #2 4/9/12, EDD 12/16/12, M/C Rory 4/24/12.
    BFP #3 10/6/12, EDD 6/16/12., Matilda born 6/17/13.
  • Yes, I know how to pronounce it. The spelling doesn't seem weird to me at all since I see it all the time on this board; you might be better off polling non-"name nerds" to get a more accurate response. :)

Love the name, though.

VOTE on my Name List

Pregnancy Ticker

• imagehillaryj01:
    I know how to pronounce it because of this board. If I had seen it before joining the board, I wouldn't know how it was pronounced. I really like it though

Exactly. I like the name, but if I were to use it I would spell it Reece.

photo 203b9128-895f-464c-a378-ff73eaf8c1ce_zps4de57ab1.jpg
    Xander, Hayden & Lily 5 1/2 and Jericho 3 My Blog!
  • Another vote for only knowing how to pronounce it because of this board and I also used to think it was 'rice'.  However, I love the name and the spelling and think you should use it if you do too.
  • Good name :) 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I know how it's pronounced but a lot of people wouldn't - I think especially the older set.  I know my MIL would be totally clueless and think it was Rice or something.
  • imageMommaG123:
    That is the only way I like it spelled. Good name.

Ditto. I knew the name long before coming here. 

• My cousin's name is Rhys and he does have to tell people how to pronounce it but usually only once.
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thank you ladies for all the responses!  I started to look thru some older posts here to see where it was brought up, but I think they are probably too far buried.  Brennan is my maiden name so that's why that is our set middle name.  I actually kind of like the flow better reversed too, Brennan Rhys, but because of where the name is coming from, my husband likes it better as a middle name.   
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Father's Day at the beach 2014 Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Anniversary
  • imagequidditchcapn1120:
    Another vote for only knowing how to pronounce it because of this board and I also used to think it was 'rice'.

Same here.

I personally don't really like the name.  It sounds feminine to me.

PhotobucketLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I know it is "reece," but whenever I see that spelling, I just think "Rize" (like rise up)
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • I knew it was "reece" before. Naming a boy "rice" just didn't make sense to me! But my friend's friend had a baby and named him Rhys and I had to correct her... 

Love LOVE the name! 

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

It takes a special amount of bitch to induce menstruation in another person. - LovelyRitaMeterMaid

Rap Roller
  • Yes, like Reese.  Rhys is the traditional spelling.
    Began TTC #1 in January 2011
    Confirmation and Removal of Endo - March 2012
    +#1 on 4/1/12 - m/c @ ~8w 5d
    +#2 Tx cycle 4 - 5 mg Letrozole + 75iu Follsitim & Ovidrel w/ IUI on 11/13/12 - EDD 7/23/13 
    7 week u/s revealed THREE babies, all with heartbeats.  153bpm, 148bpm, and 136bpm
    9 week u/s revealed loss of Baby B.  A and C are growing on track.  A measuring 9w1d with 172bpm and C measuring 9w0d with 179 bpm.  
    Elective sex determination u/s on 2/8 revealed... boy AND girl!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Yes, but I have a DS named Rhys. I also knew how to pronounce long before this board. Pronunciation is not really an issue for us, you tell people once and they get it, or if they are 40 and under, most know of Jonathan Rhys Meyers and know how to pronounce it.
  • Reece.  And this (Rhys) is definitely my favorite way to spell it!
    Nothing is more discouraging than unappreciated sarcasm. 
    AlternaTickers - Cool free Web tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"