December 2011 Moms

Pet owners...

Now that our babies are becoming more mobile, how are your pets holding up? Anyone with good tips or recommend  articles about how to deal with pets and small children?

Max and E continue to have a good relationship, but now that she crawls- she wants to interact a lot. Max sometimes gets annoyed and will leave the room or jump up on the couch out of her reach. I have been taking him on more walks and he seems to really enjoy that. We don't let E pull or tug on Max and are always closely watching to make sure of this. I will sometimes take her hand and rub Max's belly or head to try to show her (although I realise she is months away from understanding)

The other night, E bumped her head when she fell over and started crying pretty hard. Max jumped off the couch and got to her before me and started licking her. You could tell that her crying had made him worry. I might be interrupting this wrong, but to me it was sweet that Max was so concerned about his "sister".

How about you all? 

________________________________________________________________________________________________

sibling love  

Re: Pet owners...

• Awww.... that is so sweet, our lab would run the other direction :)  He has just started interacting with DS the past month, DS pulls his hair so now he doesn't let him touch him anymore, I am also trying to teach him to touch him nicely (not going so well so far).  For a while there, DS would grab the dog's toy and they would gently play tug-o-war, it was so sweet how gentle the dog was.  DS tries to stick his toys in the dogs mouth but the dog knows he is not supposed to get them and won't take them.  Lately the dog just walks away when he sees DS crawling after him, DS chases him around, it's pretty cute.
  • Now that DS is mobile I cannot stop our dogs from loving him. They LOVE to lick him. DS gets some really crazy hair styles from them. We also try to show DS the proper way to pet them, but they just lay there and take it when DS "pets" them.
  • Loading the player...
  • We have 5 cats, a bird and a tank of guppies.  I know, we're like the Brady Bunch with cats.... I had two, he had three and then we got married.

Anyway, my two cats, one is a major alpha and the other one is a timid thing.  I *really* thought my alpha cat would have issues as he can be very aggressive, but surprisingly, he tolerates DS's fascination with him well.  In fact, one day last week I looked away for a few seconds and I turned around and DS was practically sitting on my poor cat's head.  I saved him, of course, and hugged him and told him what a good kitty he was because I really thought he would have swiped at DS, but he didn't and hasn't.  It's like he knows he's a baby.  Weird.

All the other cats just run and hide, much to DS's frustration.

• At the moment, DD is very into all 3 of the dogs and 2 are tolerant and our 3rd one is not at all. Scarlett likes to pull their hair and tails.. We are working on "gentle touches," but she is only 9 months so it is trial and error. As for Scarlett and the cats... Our older cat loves her and loves the attention she gives her. Our younger cat wants nothing to do with her..  Our Australian Shepherd can't stop licking DD in the face, but DD loves it:) 

Mom To Beautiful Scarlett- Born December 5th, 2011-CatCat33
  • I have to say I'm very lucky that our dog Ripley is amazing with children. We adopted her as an adult before we were even thinking about kids, and she's done great with DS. My biggest complaint is that she wants to kiss him too much!

Cute dog story: we went camping last weekend. Ripley slept the first night in my sister's tent, but at 3am my sister realized the tent was unzipped and the dog was gone. She looked across the campsite to see Ripley laying in front of our zipped tent, tail wagging, while Damien fussed inside. The silly pup couldn't stand not being able to check on 'her' baby. :)

BFP #1: EDD 8/29/11, MMC 1/14/11. BFP #2: Damien Isaac born 12/16/11. BFP #3: Rowen Cole born 7/28/14. BFP #4: EDD 9/16/16.

Anniversary

baby blog

• imagespacedolphin11:

I have to say I'm very lucky that our dog Ripley is amazing with children. We adopted her as an adult before we were even thinking about kids, and she's done great with DS. My biggest complaint is that she wants to kiss him too much!

Cute dog story: we went camping last weekend. Ripley slept the first night in my sister's tent, but at 3am my sister realized the tent was unzipped and the dog was gone. She looked across the campsite to see Ripley laying in front of our zipped tent, tail wagging, while Damien fussed inside. The silly pup couldn't stand not being able to check on 'her' baby. :)

That is an adorable story :)  

________________________________________________________________________________________________

sibling love  

• I keep our cat away from A when she's playing in the family room (where her toys are).  There's a gate in the doorway to keep her in and the cat out.  He's old, cranky, and sometimes feisty, so I'd rather not let them interact freely.  I do allow her to pet his head while I hold her (or him). 
    AVT - 12.2.11

LCT - 5.15.14 ~ 9lbs, 22.5 inches

• We have a black pug named Molly who for the most part ignores DS.  She will give him kisses when the mood strikes (and she can be kind of aggressive with her kisses so I try to limit that as much as possible), and sometimes will curl up with us on the couch when I nurse him.  DS, on the other hand, is quite fascinated with Molly (and her toys) crawls to her whenever he has the chance and tries to grab her and climb on her.  She is pretty tolerant of this and if he is bothering her she simply gets up and moves away.  I'm more worried that he will injure her (he grabs at her face and I get concerned about her buggy pug eyes) than the other way around.
    OHM born 12/16/11, BAM born 1/10/14, mmc 06/30/15
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Alex and Skippy get along pretty well! A tries to get into the dog food all the time and is fascinated when the dog drinks. He gets really happy and squeaky when skippy walks toward us. He pets him and tugs on his ears and pinches his neck and the dog just lets him do all that. He walks away whenever he has had enough :-)
    DS born 12/2011
    DD born 03/2014

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"