Trying to Get Pregnant

Anyone else on Clomid..?

This is my first round of Clomid I started at 50mg and I took my last pill yesterday! YAY!! I did experience some moodiness and anxiety from the medication so that wasn't great, but it will be all worth it in the end if it can help my chances of conception. 

I am feeling hopeful for this cycle and I was just curious if anyone else was on it and how their experience was/is!

Re: Anyone else on Clomid..?

• imageSlapptastic:
    How are you being monitored?

This is my question as well.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• My doctor has me coming in getting BW done on certain days and she has been giving me pelvic exams every time I go in and see her. But other than that nothing else
  • Loading the player...
  • imageSlapptastic:

This. I find myself more, and more surprised with the amount of women given this medication like its Advil without proper previous testing and cycle monitoring... 

ETA~ has your SO been tested too? Male infertility is just as common. 

Mama of 1: who did not grow below my heart, but certainly a big place in it!!

TTC our #1 since '10

DX: Ovulate but not great follicles

DH SA:Normal-Low Count

Aug 2012:Clomid 50MG= BFFN ([1]Fol-17mm/Prog.-17.3)

Sep 2012: Clomid 150MG CD5-9 & TI= ??

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • imageBella521:
    My doctor has me coming in getting BW done on certain days and she has been giving me pelvic exams every time I go in and see her. But other than that nothing else

You should be having ultrasounds? Is this your OB or an RE?

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

• imageangelamaster1986:

imageSlapptastic:

This. I find myself more, and more surprised with the amount of women given this medication like its Advil without proper previous testing and cycle monitoring... 

I had all my BW done prior to being put on Clomid and DH's SA came back with great results. We also had been having unprotected sex for three years and been trying for a year before talking to my doctor. I think it's safe to say she did not hand it out like Advil.

She even sent more tests to be run on my thyroid because even though it was in "normal" range she wanted to check for antibodies. She has been very cautious and thorough during this whole process. I feel very comfortable with what she is doing. Thanks for your concern though!

• imageBella521:
    My doctor has me coming in getting BW done on certain days and she has been giving me pelvic exams every time I go in and see her. But other than that nothing else

.....a pelvic exam or an ultrasound? The only reason people get concerned is many doctors don't do the proper monitoring with clomid, and it can lead to a lot of problems. Speaking from personal experience. 

PCOS Dx 12.08 / BFP! 4.22.10 DS1 born 1.4.11 DS2 born 6.19.13
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imageBella521:
    imageangelamaster1986:

imageSlapptastic:

I had all my BW done prior to being put on Clomid and DH's SA came back with great results. We also had been having unprotected sex for three years and been trying for a year before talking to my doctor. I think it's safe to say she did not hand it out like Advil.

She even sent more tests to be run on my thyroid because even though it was in "normal" range she wanted to check for antibodies. She has been very cautious and thorough during this whole process. I feel very comfortable with what she is doing. Thanks for your concern though!

Just for reference. Answer if all of this has been done prior to using Clomid?

"Before starting Clomid you need to make sure there is no male
    infertility, no ovarian cysts, and that FSH and liver functions are
    normal.

The following tests should be done before Clomid is given:

Sperm count
    Estrogen levels
    CD 3 FSH levels
    Thyroid function tests
    Prolactin levels
    Liver function tests
    Endometrial biopsy"

Yes or no? You are putting your health in jeopardy if you are not properly monitored before and during treatment.

Just thought you should know. Good luck.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

• Yes, all of it has been done other than the HSG which she said she would rather do after a few rounds of Clomid
  • imageBella521:
    imageangelamaster1986:

imageSlapptastic:

Oh this is good to hear! I wish you luck. I was on 50 last month. The results are in my siggy. This month, I was boosted up to 150. I have an u/s on Fri to see how we are doing. 

ETA~I requested an HSG on my first medicated cycle because I was freaked by the idea there could be a blockage and Id be wasting time, money, and putting my body through it.

Mama of 1: who did not grow below my heart, but certainly a big place in it!!

TTC our #1 since '10

DX: Ovulate but not great follicles

DH SA:Normal-Low Count

Aug 2012:Clomid 50MG= BFFN ([1]Fol-17mm/Prog.-17.3)

Sep 2012: Clomid 150MG CD5-9 & TI= ??

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • imageBella521:
    Yes, all of it has been done other than the HSG which she said she would rather do after a few rounds of Clomid

Great! I would push for an HSG as well, only because you have a limited number of cycles you can take clomid and if you find out you had a blockage later it would suck. You can always do it during a treatment cycle.

Good luck! I hope it works for you.

PCOS Dx 12.08 / BFP! 4.22.10 DS1 born 1.4.11 DS2 born 6.19.13
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Thanks for all the support ladies!! I can only wish for the best, and I'll keep everyone updated!!
  • My RE would NOT give clomid until an HSG was done. If your tubes happen to be blocked, the clomid would be a waste. But it sounds like other than that, you have had the necessary testing. You definitely need ultrasound monitoring during clomid cycles, as well. I am starting round 5 this coming cycle. Good luck!
    TTC#2 Since July 2011
    Me: 29, had two blocked tubes - left was cleared during lap, right was unable to be cleared. PCOS & Stage 2 Endo. DH: 32, SA = perfect
    CLOMID: 4 rounds, 50mg + TI = BFN's. FEMARA: 1 round = no response
    12-24-2012 : Laparoscopy, Softball sized cyst/endo/scar tissue removed.
    Cycle #14 - Feb 2013 : 50mg clomid. Ovidrel Trigger. IUI on 2/14/13 = thin lining, multiple cysts.
    Cycle #15 - no meds, still have cysts, no follicles. Boo!
    Forced break. Continuous BCP for 6 weeks to give my jacked up ovaries a break.
    Cycle #16 actively trying (May/June): Femara, TI = BFN
    Cycle #17- #20 - Med/Treatment break, trying on our own = BFN's all around.
    Cycle #21 - Femara, MORE Femara, Ovidrel and a Christmas IUI = BFN
    MY BLOG -- About DD, TTC and everything in between!

• imageMrsP821:
    imageSweetC80:

imageBella521:
    Yes, all of it has been done other than the HSG which she said she would rather do after a few rounds of Clomid

You only have a lifetime max of 6 rounds of Clomid, I hope you don't have any blockage in your tubes and you are wasting cycles. 

Actually, I asked my RE about this because she said she wanted to continue Clomid with me. I explained to her that I have already taken Clomid 4 times and according to everything I've heard, I only have 2 cycles left to do this. She said that while it is true, nothing necessarily happens if you take it more than 6 times. Obviously, if it's not working after 6 cycles, you need to try something different and that's our plan, but I found it interesting that some RE's do not believe in the lifetime max of 6 rounds of Clomid. To the OP, I also started on 50mg of Clomid and had the same side effects you're experiencing. I O'd, but it did not ultimately get me pregnant. Hopefully you have better luck!

Mine goes by the same theory. Said the 6 cycle 'myth' came from one study that studied ovarian cancer. A certain percentage of a certain group of women in that study had ovarian cancer and had taken x amount of clomid in their lifetime.  

The Mob Boss 
    Birth: 10lbs 11oz, 21.5 inches <> 1 mo: 14lbs 7oz, 23.5 inches
    2mo: 18lbs 15oz, 25.5 inches <> 4mo: 26lbs 8oz, 27.5 inches6mo: 29lbs 8oz, 30 inches <> 9mo: 32lbs, 32 inches12 mo: 37lbs, 34.5 inches <> 15 mo: 38lbs 6 oz, 36 inches. 20.5 inch noggin18 mo: 43lbs, 37.75 inches 21 inch head2yr: 47 lbs, 42 inches. 21.5 inch head. Woah.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

imageimage
  • imagebbg676:

imagePrimRoseMama:

Endometrial biopsy

I have never heard this as a pretest for Clomid. 

Now, your list is missing HSG.  Is that maybe what they meant to put on this list?

OP - I'm really glad you had full testing/monitoring for your Clomid cycle.  I think you've taken all the questions very well (instead, like some posters, getting all huffy that you were asked a bunch of questions).  We do get a lot of people on here that have NO clue how 'real' Clomid is and pop it like tic tacs.  I am very happy you are not one of them.

To answer your original question - I did 50mg of Clomid CD3-7 this month.  Unfortunately, I did not respond.  At all.  BUT - I also haven't ovulated in over 9 months.  My doc switched me to the highest dose (5mg) Femara next cycle.

I really hope that it works for you!! I never would have imagined it being so much work to get pregnant lol but I guess I will be able to appreciate it that much more. I do O on my own right now and have regular cycles so I'm hoping that could be working in my favor. We shall see! I will check in to see how it worked for you bbg :) GL

• imagebbg676:

imagePrimRoseMama:

Endometrial biopsy

Now, your list is missing HSG.  Is that maybe what they meant to put on this list?

OP - I'm really glad you had full testing/monitoring for your Clomid cycle.  I think you've taken all the questions very well (instead, like some posters, getting all huffy that you were asked a bunch of questions).  We do get a lot of people on here that have NO clue how 'real' Clomid is and pop it like tic tacs.  I am very happy you are not one of them.

To answer your original question - I did 50mg of Clomid CD3-7 this month.  Unfortunately, I did not respond.  At all.  BUT - I also haven't ovulated in over 9 months.  My doc switched me to the highest dose (5mg) Femara next cycle.

I didn't respond to Clomid on 50 and 100mg and barely at 150mg so I was switched to 7.5 mg Femara (so 5mg is not the highest dose). 

OP, I agree that you have had the proper testing before starting Clomid but you need to be seen for a mid-cycle u/s to see how you are responding or if you would need to cancel for too many follicles.  CD21 b/w (which should be done at 7dpo) is not enough.  You would also need to have a baseline u/s and b/w done on CD3 to check for cysts that could have resulted from taking Clomid. 

Married 9/19/09
    Me (32) Dx PCOS, DH (32) SA = Normal/mild morph issues
    TTC#5 July 2017 - 3rd cycle TTC = BFP on 11/12/17 at 9dpo Beta #1 = 96 at 13dpo - Beta #2 = 207 at 15dpo
    TTC#1  starting Nov. 2009
    3 rounds of Clomid + TI and 3 rounds of 7.5 mg Femara + IUI before our BFP on 11/8/10 at 12dpiui
    TTC #2 3rd cycle of Femara 7.5mg+Ovidrel+TI = 4 follies = BFP on 10/12/12 
    TTC#3 July 2014 - Metformin +TI = BFP at 9dpo - Twins, one baby lost at 5.5 weeks 
    Macy Annabelle born at 37w4d on 4/29/15.  Diagnosed with Cri du Chat and passed away on 6/6/15.  Forever in our hearts.
    TTC#4 3rd cycle of Metformin + Femara 7.5mg+Ovidrel+TI = 3 follies = BFP on 12/24/16
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • imageSweetC80:

imageBella521:

You only have a lifetime max of 6 rounds of Clomid, I hope you don't have any blockage in your tubes and you are wasting cycles. 

Exactly. My OB did the HSG as the first step before any meds. No reason to take them if it's all blocked up.  

• imagebbg676:
    imageSarafuss:
    imagebbg676:

imagePrimRoseMama:

Endometrial biopsy

I didn't respond to Clomid at all so I was switched to 7.5 mg Femara (so 5 is not the highest dose). 

OP, I agree that you have had the proper testing before starting Clomid but you need to be seen for a mid-cycle u/s to see how you are responding or if you would need to cancel for too many follicles.  CD21 b/w (which should be done at 7dpo) is not enough.  You would also need to have a baseline u/s and b/w done on CD3 to check for cysts that could have resulted from taking Clomid. 

That is great to know!  My RE said "the highest dose" but I freaked a bit because I fear I am not going to respond to that dose either.  And then where would I be?  Hopefully she's willing to increase it if need be.  Smile

That may be the highest dose that she is comfortable prescribing.  But that would surprise me since I've seen a lot of women take 7.5mg (the equivalent to 150mg of Clomid).  Hopefully 5mg does the trick for you! 

Married 9/19/09
    Me (32) Dx PCOS, DH (32) SA = Normal/mild morph issues
    TTC#5 July 2017 - 3rd cycle TTC = BFP on 11/12/17 at 9dpo Beta #1 = 96 at 13dpo - Beta #2 = 207 at 15dpo
    TTC#1  starting Nov. 2009
    3 rounds of Clomid + TI and 3 rounds of 7.5 mg Femara + IUI before our BFP on 11/8/10 at 12dpiui
    TTC #2 3rd cycle of Femara 7.5mg+Ovidrel+TI = 4 follies = BFP on 10/12/12 
    TTC#3 July 2014 - Metformin +TI = BFP at 9dpo - Twins, one baby lost at 5.5 weeks 
    Macy Annabelle born at 37w4d on 4/29/15.  Diagnosed with Cri du Chat and passed away on 6/6/15.  Forever in our hearts.
    TTC#4 3rd cycle of Metformin + Femara 7.5mg+Ovidrel+TI = 3 follies = BFP on 12/24/16
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • imageSweetC80:
    imageKaramelSutra:
    imageMrsP821:
    imageSweetC80:

imageBella521:

Actually, I asked my RE about this because she said she wanted to continue Clomid with me. I explained to her that I have already taken Clomid 4 times and according to everything I've heard, I only have 2 cycles left to do this. She said that while it is true, nothing necessarily happens if you take it more than 6 times. Obviously, if it's not working after 6 cycles, you need to try something different and that's our plan, but I found it interesting that some RE's do not believe in the lifetime max of 6 rounds of Clomid. To the OP, I also started on 50mg of Clomid and had the same side effects you're experiencing. I O'd, but it did not ultimately get me pregnant. Hopefully you have better luck!

Mine goes by the same theory. Said the 6 cycle 'myth' came from one study that studied ovarian cancer. A certain percentage of a certain group of women in that study had ovarian cancer and had taken x amount of clomid in their lifetime.  

While I am no expert in reproductive health I have had more than one doctor tell me that the more rounds of ovary stimulating medicine does start to raise your risk of Ovarian cancer and if you are already at risk, increases your risk even more. I am fairly certain that a standard medical practice isn't used because of one study and/or a myth.

This and My RE also mentioned that Clomid thins out your uterine lining which would put you at risk for miscarriage if taken more than 6 cycles. 

3T January Siggy Challenge: New Years Resolutions 
    TTC since 10/2010 (Rhythm method since 2007)

Me (33) Sept 2012 - DX Low ovulation/progesterone, Luteal Phase Defect. HSG 5/2012: both tubes are open, cervix and lining look good;
    September 2014 DX Hashimoto's; November 2014: PCOS IR

DH (37) Sept 2012 SA Normal; October 2014 Mild MFI count 42 Million, Motility 36%, Morphology 2%. Clomid 50mg,
    2004 Cyrosurgery, LEEP
    May 2012 - HSG Clear; June 2012 - Appointment with RE
    July 2012 - October 2012 - Clomid 50mg W/ TI & Progesterone 3 mature follicles- BFN
    January 2013 IUI #1 (900,000 post wash) Clomid 50mg, TI & Progesterone 2 mature follicles - BFN
    February 2013 IUI #2 (1.3 Mil post wash) Clomid 50mg, TI & Progesterone 4 mature follicles - BFN
    March 2013 IUI #1-3 (2.5 mil post wash) Clomid 50mg, Baby Aspirin (lining thinned) TI & Progesterone - 2 mature follicles BFN
    April 2013 Benched due to cyst, May 2013 WTF appointment
    June 2013 DH SA mild MFI break for 2 months to re-test; August 2013 - DH SA 36 Mil count, 36% Motility, Morp 2%
    September - December 2013 - Mental sanity Break
    January 2014 - IUI #4 switches to natural due to scheduling conflict Femara TI & Progesterone - 1 mature follicle - BFN
    May 2014-June 2014 - DH Appointment w/ Urologist to check Bi-lateral Varicocele; 2nd opinion w/ another urologist - bi-lateral varicocele dx is slight no surgery
    July 2014 DH starts clomid 25mg daily SA 53.8 Mil count, Motility 37%, Morph 3%;
    September 2014 DH Repeat SA after being on clomid for 3 months 42 Mil Count, Motility 36%, Morph 2%
    October 2014 Me: Hashimoto's DX, DH taken off clomid;
    November 2014 Me: new RE PCOS IR Diagnosis
    December 2014: IUI #4 Follitism 75iu 7 days, TI, IUI & Progesterone, BFMFN

January 2015: IUI #5
    Gonal-F 75iu 7 days, TI, IUI & Progesterone, Another BFMFN onto IUI #6

• imagedeelopi9:

This and My RE also mentioned that Clomid thins out your uterine lining which would put you at risk for miscarriage if taken more than 6 cycles. 

I have seen users have thin linings after one go, and I myself, (who is currently on cycle 6(7), my lining is perfect. So. Six in one hand, half dozen in the other I guess.

When I say 6(7), on my 5th round, I didn't respond at 50 (my first dose post baby) so my doc piggy backed on it with 150mg. My lining was 15. So. I will trust my RE group.  

The Mob Boss 
    Birth: 10lbs 11oz, 21.5 inches <> 1 mo: 14lbs 7oz, 23.5 inches
    2mo: 18lbs 15oz, 25.5 inches <> 4mo: 26lbs 8oz, 27.5 inches6mo: 29lbs 8oz, 30 inches <> 9mo: 32lbs, 32 inches12 mo: 37lbs, 34.5 inches <> 15 mo: 38lbs 6 oz, 36 inches. 20.5 inch noggin18 mo: 43lbs, 37.75 inches 21 inch head2yr: 47 lbs, 42 inches. 21.5 inch head. Woah.  

imageimage
  • I was on it.  I tried it for 4-5 months with no success.  I stopped all meds and treatments last November.  I needed a break because it was stressing me out.  The first month on Clomid I had HORRIBLE migraines from it. I could not get out of bed for 3 days without throwing up.  The following month, they reduced the dose and I would only get minor headaches.  I did not suffer moodiness.  Unfortunately for me, the medication did not work for me.

I hope you have a better experience with it.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"