September 2012 Moms

Membrane stripping

Has anyone had their membrane stripped and has it worked and if yes, how long did it take to work? Thanks ftm and due this sunday and I am ready...

Re: Membrane stripping

• it varies for person to person. i had mine stripped once with each and i went into labor that night. im hoping it works this time too.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageMrsSparklebottom:
    I had mine stripped this morning. Dr. said that if it works, it will work within 48 hours.

My MW might be doing mine next Tuesday if my BP doesn't go down. She said that IF it works, it'll work within three days or less.  

• Loading the player...
  • imageblindvictory:

imageMrsSparklebottom:
    I had mine stripped this morning. Dr. said that if it works, it will work within 48 hours.

My MW might be doing mine next Tuesday if my BP doesn't go down. She said that IF it works, it'll work within three days or less.  

My midwife offered to do a stretch & sweep starting next week/appointment and also said that if I am physically ready to go into labor, it should help "tip" the scale within 36-48 hours on average... if my body is not yet quite ready, it may help with softening the cervix/effacement etc. and it can be repeated every other day or 3rd day.
  • I just had this done at my appointment this afternoon.  I'm really hoping that it does something.  If not, and we make it 'till Monday, I'm looking at an induction.
  • I had mine stripped on Thursday at 3:30 pm and I started getting consistent contractions on Saturday evening. I had my daughter on Monday am. I definitely think it helped the process along, but as others have said it's not a guarantee.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I've had it done twice so far. First time I lost my MP the next day with a few contractions and an extra cm dilation. The second time I just had a few contractions and some spotting. :/ no baby yet!
  • I had it done on Friday at 38 weeks. My doctor didn't guarantee I would go into labor but said I would probably have some cramping and spotting (didn't have any spotting however). He just said it would help prevent me from going past my due date. I had some contractions that night but of course they stopped after I called the OB's office. 5 days later I'm still pregnant. We'll see if I made any more progress at my next appointment on Monday and I'll probably have my OB strip my membrane again.
  • I'm going to ask my doctor to do mine this morning at my appt.  Does it hurt really bad to have it done???
  • imageMrsAB1316:
    I'm going to ask my doctor to do mine this morning at my appt.  Does it hurt really bad to have it done???

It didn't hurt me at all, and it didn't take my OB any longer than it does to check my cervix.

• imageLindaLamour:

imageMrsAB1316:
    I'm going to ask my doctor to do mine this morning at my appt.  Does it hurt really bad to have it done???

It didn't hurt me at all, and it didn't take my OB any longer than it does to check my cervix.

Awesome.   The cervical checks take my breath away, they are so uncomfortable, so I've been nervous about asking to sweep.  However, I'm really trying to avoid an induction, so I guess I'd suck it up and just deal regardless.  

• The doctor stripped mine at my appointment last Wednesday. I wouldn't say it hurt, it was just uncomfortable. I was 1cm dilated. Friday morning DH tried to help the process along with intercourse, and it kicked things into gear! At 7:30am I lost my mucus plug, and by 9:30 pm I was in the hospital bc my water broke. Which makes me have to say that if you question if then go to ld to have them check. I wasn't sure, and seriously figured they would send me home because I had just peed myself. I ended up having to be induced and had her at 12:48 Saturday. So yes, it can work!
  • I have had mine stripped my last three appointments and I will be 41 weeks tomorrow...so it hasn't worked for me. I go again today and am guessing she'll try it again. I have read that the success rate is 56 percent or something close to that.
  • I had mine stripped on Friday lost my mucas plug on Saturday night, I have been crampy and miserable since. I'm 40weeks1day! So it sorta worked GL!!!
  • With DS1, I had it done at my 39 week appt (I was 38w 5days). DS was born 2 days later. Not sure if it was because of the stripping or if it was just time for DS. 

James Sawyer 12.3.10
    Leo Richard 9.20.12 

• Thanks lady for all the advice or if it help you having your membrane stripped. My Dr did it twice yesterday at my appt and she also told me to have thai food, go for a walk and have sex! Did all three lost my plug and now I am hoping I start having contraction soon too! I am ready to get this show on the road. GL to everyone else too
  • I don't know personally but my friend had her membrane stripped at 38 for both of her son's and she went into labor within 48 hours for both.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I had it done during my internal exam at my 39 week appt. (39 weeks 2 days).

I went into labor & delivered DS on his due date, 5 days later.

I haven't had it done for this pg yet.

• imageanitalynn:
    imageMrsAB1316:
    imageLindaLamour:

imageMrsAB1316:

Awesome.   The cervical checks take my breath away, they are so uncomfortable, so I've been nervous about asking to sweep.  However, I'm really trying to avoid an induction, so I guess I'd suck it up and just deal regardless.  

I am fairly certain my OB swept my membranes at my appointment yesterday. She didn't say it, but she said she was going to give me a "thorough" exam, she made some very vigorous wrist swiveling motions while checking dilation and effacement, and I had to breathe through it because it was less than comfortable. I had bright red spotting last night (which stopped) and pink spotting today (twice) and have been continuing to cramp. It wasn't the most intense pain I've ever felt, but it was certainly worse than a regular pap or a regular internal exam.

This is what happened to me with DS. The OB didn't tell me he was doing it, but after my exam, I told him it hurt more than my other internals & he said he was "trying to help things along". I figured he meant he had stripped my membranes, so I looked it up when I got home & read that it's pretty common for OBs to just do it w/o saying anything!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"