November 2012 Moms

Taking a newborn to the holidays?

I am due a week before Thanksgiving, and I'm wondering, if she comes on time, is it safe/advisable to take her to big family gatherings (Thanksgiving and/or Christmas)?

What are your plans? 

Re: Taking a newborn to the holidays?

• Our LO is due after Thanksgiving and we live hours from our families.  They are all planning on being here for Thanksgiving, baby or not.  However, we will be traveling to our hometown for 3-4 weeks in mid-December, when LO will be a couple weeks old.  He will attend big family gatherings for the Christmas festivities.
  • LO is due November 3rd. So if she comes on time we will be attending the holidays. Now, since you are due a week before Thanksgiving that is cutting it a bit close. I guess it depends on how close your relatives live.  I would just play it by ear and see how you feel after giving birth.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm due the 16th. Thanksgiving we will play it by ear. It all depends on when she comes and how I'm feeling. Under 2 weeks old and we will likely stay home.
    imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I haven't decided yet. I'm kind of concerned about the chaos that is my family and how well my newborn will handle that shenanigans. It's busy and noisy and theres a mazillion people. 

I'm due the week before thanksgiving, and If I haven't had the baby yet, we'll probably stick with DH's family because they gather the closest to our house and our birth center. If I have had the baby, it'll depend on who's around for Thanksgiving and how I'm feeling. We might skip it, or go wherever things will be quieter. Our typical Christmas is spent bouncing from family to family and I'm pretty sure I'm not doing that again. I think we might stay home and have people come see us, but if nobody wants to, I don't want to spend the day alone either. 

Anyone know how long they suggest you wait before you take your child out around big groups? I don't know anything about that at all... 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I'm due nov 11. We live next door to my parents so holidays on my side is no prob, however DH dad is 6hrs and his mom 10hrs away. If they want to see the baby they will have to come to me for both thanksgiving and Christmas. I'm not taking my baby out in winter weather for 6+ hr drive on a good day!

Also if the family is sick I might not go just to keep my baby healthy. No need to risk it!! 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Baby is due a week before Thanksgiving, so I'll probably just have my parents and sister over for dinner (my mom and sis will cook) and then have DH's family over for pizza on the Friday.  If the baby comes 2 weeks or more early, then we might go to DH's family for Thanksgiving. 

My first was born three weeks before Thanksgiving and we did travel an hour.  It was our first big trip out of the house, and although I was worried about it, being out and around other people, was soooooooooooo good for my sanity.  Both my family and DH's family are really supportive of breastfeeding though, and gave me a room to sit in and nurse the baby in peace, away from the holiday chaos, so that is something you may want to consider.

• DS was born 12/22 and I came home from the hospital Christmas Eve.  We felt kind of weird sitting at home by ourselves (especially since he came 3 weeks early, so we totally thought we'd be fine travelling for the holiday) so we did decide to drive 1 hour to my parents house for Christmas Day.  It was an uncomfortable drive, but bearable and DS did fine. He slept a ton and I just left the room to nurse since I was still figuring it out.  My family is more reserved and laid back so it was relatively relaxing. 

However, because that went so well we decided to join DH's family the next day, which was a 1 1/2 hour drive and that was rough on me. By then I was feeling PP emotional and his family is much more loud. One of my SIL's was constantly wanting to hold him, but I was at a point where I just wanted to hold him and felt like the bad guy if I told her no.  Plus, IL's house is much smaller and more cluttered than my parent's house, so it all felt very suffocating to me. 

This time around, we're not making any plans. If she comes 3 weeks early like DS did, we will probably go to his IL's house, but if she hasn't come we are definitely staying home. If it's somewhere in between, we'll just see how I feel.  I don't feel like I need to be around family on Thanksgiving as much as I do on Christmas. Plus we have some friends who we can probably hang out with in town that day if we wanted. 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I'm due the 11th of Nov, and I definitely plan on bringing LO to my family's house for Turkey Day. For Xmas, depends on if any of the other 9 children under the age of 3 are sick..I would rather not expose LO that young to illness. We'll just play it by ear for now.
    V|V TSP V|V
     Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I had DS on Thanksgiving 2008 and we traveled for Christmas to see our families (2 hours away).  This time around, everyone's coming to our house.  It was way to hard on me - recovering from a c/s, nursing, and DS just a month old.
    BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers BFP: 12/3/07, M/C @ 7w 3d ~ 12/24/07 image
  • We'll play it by ear. We would not need to travel more than 5 min from our house for either holiday and could stay a short time if we want. It just depends on how I feel, how baby is doing, and who is coming. DS was born June 16 and we took him to 4th of July at my SILs across town. It was in the middle of the summer though, not the middle of flu season, so this is a whole different deal.
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We will definitely be taking her to all of the holidays - although both mine and SO's families are really laid back and not much goes on at these get-togethers.
  • He's due a little before Thanksgiving, so that will just depend on when he actually comes and if I'm up to it.  It's a smaller gathering at my uncle's house about a half an hour away, and I know no one would fault me for missing it (and feel pretty confident that my uncle would send a plate back for me with my parents, ha!).

Christmas Eve is smallish too at my parents' house.  We'll do that and take him to church for the night service.  Christmas Day is at my in-laws, and it is huge mass chaos of about 50 people.  I will be wearing him in the Moby most of that time.  Both sets of our parents live less than 15 minutes away, though, so that will be good.

On my in-laws' side, they typically meet up with family 3.5 hours away and 4 hours away (if they go halfway and meet in a restaurant, or 7 hours away if they go all the way) a few weeks before Christmas.  I told my DH I didn't want LO going on either of those trips.  I see no point in putting my LO in a car that long for a one day round when we only visit with those people for 2-3 hours, and he'll only be a few weeks old and breastfeeding (hopefully).  I am sure this will piss off my mother-in-law, who'll want to show him off, and possibly my grandmother-in-law, but tough noogies.  He's my kid, and I'm not budging.  

Me: 32 DH: 32
    Married: 05/31/2008
    DS: 11/06/2012 at 38w 1d
    M/C: 06/11/2015
    DD: 06/14/2016 at 37w 3d
  • We live 20 hours away from any family, and even if we lived in the same state I am sure that we would be staying home. Boy is due on the 20, what is that 2 days before thanksgiving? 

It will be flu season, so keep that in mind.  

oa1
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

? Voted Cool Cat ~ 2012 Sweetpea Mom Awards ?

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • I'm due Nov. 24th and we decided that we would probably stay home for Thanksgiving (although we would love to have visitors in small batches).  For Christmas, we are going to see when she decides to come, but if she is less than a month old, we probably won't take chances.  We have a huge family and we go out to eat and then to church and it's cold/flu season and it's just not worth her getting sick.  Especially before she's had all her shots. 
  • I am due on Thanksgiving and don't plan on going anywhere! ONLY becuase his family is INSISTING we go to Florida for the "family" vacation in February... thats a 4 hours flight and there will be 15 of us in one house when my LO is only going to be 3 months old!!!!!  If you cant tell I'm a first time mom... a little stressed over that. The holidays will be a breeze!
  • We are due the 13th, and so long as she comes around her due date, I plan to take her to my family's get together on Turkey Day. However my family's house is less then 10 miles away. And even being that close, I think we will go for dinner and to say hi, and then Jet, not stick around for hours like we do every year.  DH's Dad is about 35 minutes away, and depending on how I feel and how baby is handling things, we may go see him, otherwise, we might just ask him to come out to our place.
  • I'm a little concerned about having the baby around all those people, but I'm going to play it by ear. I can always put the baby in another room and refuse to pass LO around. I have no problem being the bad guy.

However, when I'm recovering I act like a sick animal: I crawl under a bed and refuse to let anyone near me. So the final decision will be made based on how I'm feeling and how far along I am during the recovery process.  If I still have a significant amount of healing to do I won't be going around people.

imageimageimage"Image">image
  • I am due Nov 12 - my family all lives a plane ride away. They will all be here for Thanksgiving (all staying in nearby hotels) - my two sisters and BIL's, plus my parents. My spouse has a 10 yr old son from a previous that will be in attendance, and my family is pretty laid back - my mom and sisters will cook. I also feel like our house is laid out in a way that if I need to get away from everyone with LO, I can easily do so.

Christmas - the in-laws live 6 hours away, and initially I thought I would do it, now we are having his parents come to us. They tend to have more of a "party" type atmosphere there - he has three siblings - and I just don't know if I will be up to it.

I would say in addition to travel time, factor in what the environment will be like - if you know you will want at least some alone time, does the house provide a place for some privacy?

• I'm due on the 29th. As long as little one is on time or a tad early we are planning on going to see family for Christmas (3 1/2hrs away). If I go past my due date it will probably not happen. 

• I'm having a c section on the 20th so Thanksgiving will be small just DH and I as family is two hours away and I'll be just coming home from hospital....DH works Christmas this year so we will go for the stats couple before so my SIL who lives out of state can see her new nephew as the next time I'll se her she'll have a bundle of her own!!!
  • imageQuintonsMummah:
    I'm due the 11th of Nov, and I definitely plan on bringing LO to my family's house for Turkey Day. For Xmas, depends on if any of the other 9 children under the age of 3 are sick..I would rather not expose LO that young to illness. We'll just play it by ear for now.

yes, this would be my biggest fear, bringing a newborn around sick ppl. just make sure they are using hand sanitizer before touching the baby and Id keep your infant out of the reach of small children ;) 

• imageSmileyGirl18:

imagedans1girl:
    I am due on Thanksgiving and don't plan on going anywhere! ONLY becuase his family is INSISTING we go to Florida for the "family" vacation in February... thats a 4 hours flight and there will be 15 of us in one house when my LO is only going to be 3 months old!!!!!  If you cant tell I'm a first time mom... a little stressed over that. The holidays will be a breeze!

Personally I would tell them no.  A newborn in an airport and on a plane in the middle of flu season is something I would risk. 

I know, that was my first thought, however they are being so bosy! They even at first wanted us to RIDE down in a  rented van with 15 people Angry  I put my foot down with that and I thought I had made it perfectly  clear about even going at all... they cancel their reservations on campus and basically  got the house off campus so I  can  "sit there while they go to the  parks".  Sounds like a  GREAT vacation.... I could do that at  home!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"