December 2011 Moms
Options

Another Sleep Question

Is anyone dealing with a baby that wakes upin the middle of the night to play?

We are having anywhere from 1-5 wakeups. Sometimes she just needs a quick cuddle, but lately at around 1am she is standing up in her crib playing. I would just let her play but she is SO LOUD! She yells, and makes noises, and it's impossible to sleep while she's up. The same thing about 4-4:30am except she thinks she's "up for the day" and then can only last like an hour until she needs to nap, but by then I can't get back to sleep. Right now since I can't lift her my mom is dealing with all of this during the night.

I was thinking it may be time for us to do sleep training (I haven't wanted to until now), but how on earth would Ferber work for a playing baby not a crying one?
BFP #2 - MC Aug 2012 - D&C w/ complications
imageimage

Re: Another Sleep Question

• Options

We have some nights like this too - thankfully they are few and far between now that we redid Ferber CIO.  I would recommend reading Ferber's book, because it has more than just the CIO.  I think our problem was figuring out how much sleep E needs during the entire 24 hr day.  E seems to be on the lower end of sleep needs - he gets about 10 at night (8pm-6am) and only 2-2.5hrs of naps during the day.  

If E sleeps more during the day, he will have one, maybe two 1-2hr 'awake' periods during the middle of the night.  Good luck - those long awake periods are rough. 

laying down the law on Oahu's North Shore

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    As for Ferber. You set the clock only when they start crying. If she is just playing then she plays until she falls back asleep or cries. Can you lower the monitor volume a little? Sometimes when Lucas wakes, since we are in a small condo, I hear him and get up but eventually he stopped geting up. Maybe a crib soother mobile would help?

Lilypie - (ovfd)

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Rocky - We are having major nap issue lately too, so the information about how much sleep she needs in 24 hours sounds very interesting! I just didn't want to get the book if it wouldn't be helpful to us.

hlc - We ditched the monitor months ago. We just have a small house and she is VERY loud lol. I have no clue if she would play herself to sleep because I've not lasted that long before going in there. She has a seahorse in the crib with her, but she was never interested in her mobile so we took it down. Other recommendations on soothers or safe crib toys appreciated.
    imageimage
  • Options
    imageTussie Mussie:
    Rocky We are having major nap issue lately too, so the information about how much sleep she needs in 24 hours sounds very interesting! I just didn't want to get the book if it wouldn't be helpful to us.

We haven't even done CIO, minus 20 min One night and I have still found Ferber's book to be very valuable and educational for us.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

imagehlc820:

That looks similar to the one that came with her playmat! I'll have to go dig it out of the closet somewhere. It got put up forever ago and I forgot about it.

I'll definitely be getting the ferber book too! 

imageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"