December 2011 Moms

Crib bumpers...wwyd?

We've always had DS' crib bumpers up ever since he started sleeping in his crib around 4 months. Pretty recently I'll check on him in the middle of the night and he will be on his stomach with his face in his bumper. I've tried moving him and he freaks out. He will scream til he falls back asleep with face in bumper again. I know there are breathable bumpers but DH doesn't want to spend the money on them, ap should i just remove them? He will sleep like that all night if I let him, so I don't know what to do!
imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Crib bumpers...wwyd?

• I would because I'm paranoid to some extent. We have breathable bumpers. Maybe look on Craigslist for used ones? I'd remove them but also then worry about limbs getting stuck. We did breathable because his arm got stuck and he was screaming. Maybe a consignment store would have some? Target has some cheap ones also. Maybe sell something to get the money for the bumpers?

Lilypie - (ovfd)

• Yes get the breathable. We have been using breathable since he was 3 months old for this same reason. He loves to bury his face into the sides of the crib. We have never had a stucklimb either well worth it
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • I would get the breathable ones. We removed the ones in J's crib overnight. When I went in to check on him sure enough both of his legs were sticking through the rails of the crib! We put them back in the next morning!
  • We took the regular bumpers out when she was about 5 months old when she was starting to roll in her sleep. We have had a couple of stuck thighs in the slats but that's few and far between. I would just take them out all together.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Fastest year of my life. Lilypie First Birthday tickerswww.MyVacationCountdown.com Ticker
    imageimageimage
  • My first choice would be to buy the breathable bumpers, but if that is not an option at all, I'd just remove the bumpers and leave the crib bumper-less. 
    DS born 12/2011
    DD born 03/2014

• Thanks everyone! Its not a money issue, DH just thinks he would wake him and move if it were hard for him to breathe. I think he just likes the comfort of something on his face so if I take the bumpers out I think he will put the blanket against his face. I'll try tonight and see how he does!
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • At this point, I think they are more dangerous because they can use them to stand on and try to get out of their cribs.  I'd take them out for sure.
  • I have never used bumpers at all. I agree with what lab said about them being a climbing/falling hazard.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• We used the breathable until about a month ago where I pulled out the regular bumpers and put them on. We are happy with the regular ones now because he doesn't bump into the sides as much with them. Yes he climbs on them but they squish down to only an inch or so. I personally don't worry when I see our LO sleeping with his head on them these days. That usually happens when he's trying to climb out and gets so exhausted he falls asleep on the bumpers.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I would remove them asap. I also wouldnt waste your money on the mesh ones either. I went through two of them. They are just as dangerous. I found the wonder bumpers and couldnt be happier. I would highly recommend them.
  • How do they stand on them? whenever LO tries I stand on his they mash right down. I don't understand that argument.
    To the OP, I would try giving LO a blanket. They may like the warmth of something and this may allow you to remove the bumpers completely.
  • It sounds like he wants to snuggle something... does he have a lovey that he can snuggle?  DS has a lovey that we feel safe with putting in his crib.  He will actually sit up in the middle of the night, cry out, find his lovey and go back to sleep.

As to your original question, we have the breathable bumpers, but at this age, they're more of a toy to him than anything else.  He likes to push them down and play with the ties.

• imagechasensmommy:
    We used the breathable until about a month ago where I pulled out the regular bumpers and put them on. We are happy with the regular ones now because he doesn't bump into the sides as much with them. Yes he climbs on them but they squish down to only an inch or so. I personally don't worry when I see our LO sleeping with his head on them these days. That usually happens when he's trying to climb out and gets so exhausted he falls asleep on the bumpers.

This. My LO is a crazy sleeper and ends up snuggling with her bumpers from time to time, but she rolls away from them easily so I've never been real concerned.
    Married DH 08.28.10
    Pregnancy #1: BFP 04.10.11 EDD 12.23.11 DD1 Born 12.4.11
     Pregnancy #2: BFP 5.12.14 MC 5.20.14 @ 5wk4d
    Pregnancy #3: BFP 11.1.14 EDD 7.5.15 MC 11.13.14 @ 6wk4d
    Pregnancy #4: BFP 1.31.15 EDD 10.5.15 DD2 Born 9.23.15

• imageChargersgrl33:
    How do they stand on them? whenever LO tries I stand on his they mash right down. I don't understand that argument. To the OP, I would try giving LO a blanket. They may like the warmth of something and this may allow you to remove the bumpers completely.
    +1. I've mentioned this a few times & haven't seen anyone tell me how that 1/4 inch of fabric is helping catapult the kid out of the crib. 
  • imageSoftSpot:
    imageChargersgrl33:
    How do they stand on them? whenever LO tries I stand on his they mash right down. I don't understand that argument. To the OP, I would try giving LO a blanket. They may like the warmth of something and this may allow you to remove the bumpers completely.
    +1. I've mentioned this a few times & haven't seen anyone tell me how that 1/4 inch of fabric is helping catapult the kid out of the crib. 

It won't catapult them, I don't think I said that, , but can give an extra inch or two. It really depends on the bumper. The ones that came with my set are firm and quite thick, so they do not smash down easily. We've never used them, but if installed tightly so that they are stretched out, they could easily give a baby, especially a lighter one, an extra boost. 

• We have never used them. DD has only stuck a limb through the slats a time or two. I would just take them out. DD has a lovey that she snuggles with sometimes. Maybe try that?
  • The concern isn't just suffocation with bumpers but also strangulation. They wedge themselves between bumper and mattress and can't get out. Breathable bumpers only solve half the problem. Sounds like your lo is using the bumpers as a security thing. I'd remove them and replace it with something like a blankie or toy
  • imageHisKonstantine:
    We took the regular bumpers out when she was about 5 months old when she was starting to roll in her sleep. We have had a couple of stuck thighs in the slats but that's few and far between. I would just take them out all together.

Your siggy pic just literally made me gasp. She is STUNNING!

• imageSoftSpot:
    imageChargersgrl33:

The ones that came with my set are really thick and pretty firm, so if he stepped on them they might crush down but would still give a few inches of "rung" to climb on.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"