Breastfeeding
Options

frequent pumpers, a ? for you

I pump twice a day while at work. My son gets two 5 ounce bottles during that time, which seems to be the right amount. I pump ALMOST that amount during the day, but usually have to pump in the evenings after he goes to bed to get the last 1-2oz I need for the next day.

The trouble is, when I am done pumping, I can feel that I'm not empty. I know that last ounce or two is in there, but the pump can't seem to get it out. 

Any little tricks I can do to pump more efficiently? I am using a PISA and a hands-free bra thing. I have tried 3 different sizes of shield, so I know which one I need.

(Long story, but pulling from a freezer stash is not an option.)

TIA!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: frequent pumpers, a ? for you

• Options
    I do manual compressions after I pump for 5ish minutes.  I get another ounce or so from that.  I watched a youtube video to "learn" how to do it.  It's helpful also, if you ever forget your pump.  Takes a bit longer but worth it to know how!
  • Options

Hello!
    I also pump at work. (2-3 times a day) Massage the breast while pumping. I also rub my hands together to produce heat and rest your hands on the breast to losen up the ducts that contain residual milk. Also, give the breast a break for a few seconds, I notice I'll start to have let down again.

I hope this helps!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Hit the little letdown button again after you seem to be done, works every time!
  • Options

I use my manual pump that the hospital gave after pumping with my Medela PISA. It gives me and extra 2-3 oz. on each side.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I also recommend massaging, using the expression phase again, and then I'll add that I hand express for a minute after pumping to get out a little bit more.
    5/08- blighted ovum, spont ab; 2/20/09- epi, VAVD, Girl! breastfed 24mo; 10/10- blighted ovum, spon ab; 12/10- no fetal pole, Cytotec; 11/20/11- unmedicated SVD, Girl! breastfed 18mo; 11/7/13- unmedicated SVD, breastfed 18mo; 2/11/16- unmedicated SVD, exclusively pumping to at least a year.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"