Working Moms

I may be a shopaholic

I'm a member of the WM's Target support group.  I have done really well w/ Target this month and when this happens I tend to spend my money elsewhere.

Today, I shopped at TRU...for x-mas gifts. Our area TRU is having a huge BOGO free sale on several toys my DDs like to play with.  I bought a cpl toys for b-day parties they may be invited to in the future too. 1/3 of my shopping for the holidays is complete and I spent $57.

Carters is having their huge Labor day sale-50% off the entire store + I have a 20% off cpn. I will take advantage of clothing shopping this wknd. It doesn't get cold in Tx until November. Admittedly, I also like to shop clearance sales for next yrs wardrobe.

I'm ecstatic after my purchases b/c I rec'd great deals. H thinks I have a problem b/c of my excitement. 

Care to weigh in? Justified spending or early stages of a shopping compulsion? 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: I may be a shopaholic

• imagembenit4:

I don't feel like you have a problem unless you are being irresponsible financially. If the family budget is ok then you are ok.

Tell DH the excitement comes from the ":thrill of the hunt." 

I agree with this.  If you are charging up the credit cards or going over your budget then I'd say you have a problem.  If I was your DH I'd be ecstatic that you were finding such good deals and stretching your dollar!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie - (HKbp)Lilypie - (WKbt)
     Lilypie - (2DqE)  Lilypie - (1KYE)
    Lilypie - (RlhZ)Lilypie - (1CAm)
  • Guys don't get it :)  I once told my husband that I had gotten an "amazing deal" on some veggie burgers - BOGO and I used a $1 off coupon.  He just laughed and said "This is amazing to you?  Amazing to me is like, half off a car."

Like the other posters said, you aren't charging up stuff you can't afford and honestly, you're saving money if you're getting such great deals on stuff you would definitely purchase no matter what.

Formerly known as elmoali :)

• Loading the player...
  • My husband doesn't understand my thrill over completing most of my Christmas shopping by Fall, either.  We save a substantial chunk of change and it reduces my holiday stress considerably.

That said, if you think this means more to you than it should, maybe go on a shopping fast for a few weeks.  Right now I'm reading Jen Hatmaker's book "7", about relieving life of excess, and it's rockin' my world.

• I tell my DH "I couldn't afford not to buy it!" He rolls his eyes at me all the time.

I'm really taking advantage of buying a year ahead these days. Last week I bought DS 9 short sleeve T's, 5 long sleeve T's, 5 pairs of shorts for next summer, and a pair of PJ's for $80 at the children's place. I have to say, my DH was pretty impressed. I think it's because he has seen how much full price clothing can cost us for the season.

I vote justified spending, as long as you aren't going into debt over it. Big Smile

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I agree with you.  I love getting a good deal.  I just ordered 7 items of clothing at Gymboree for $60 and I totally bragged to DH about it.  Good for you for saving money!
  • are you joking?  I don't see anything here that's at all troubling?  You're planning ahead and gettting good deals.  I don't see any issue here at all. 
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Sounds like you're smart to me!! The only problem I have with buying clothes ahead is that I have no idea what size DS will be next spring/summer. I did buy DS a Fiseher Price Little People Garage this spring. It was a great price. Since he was too young for it at his April birthday, I'm saving it, so it will be from Santa :) Also got him a kiddie golf club set for just $5 at Marshall's...The thrill is in the hunt. That's the truth!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"