3rd Trimester

Was anyone diagnosed with gestational diabetes?

Just got the call from my doctor's office that I failed the three hour test. I'm in the process of making an appointment with an endocrinologist. I'm just wondering if anyone else has gone through this and how it changed the rest of your pregnancy. I'm aware that I'll have to change my diet and start exercising but how bad were the diet changes? And were there any adverse impacts to your babies/future pregnancies? I'm just a little freaked out and looking for reassurance. Thanks!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Was anyone diagnosed with gestational diabetes?

• I have my three hour test on Wednesday since I failed the one hour :( My good friend had it. Really, she just said the diet sucked and she couldn't eat whatever she wanted. You are limited on the carbs and sweets, which she was big on. They told her she was going to have this huge baby and he was 6 lbs. After delivery, her sugar went back to normal. Other than not being able to indulge and having to prick your finger after eating, she said it was no big deal.
  • I was diagnosed about 2 months ago.  I failed the 3-hour by ONE POINT. Anyway, it did make things less fun because I have to watch what I eat, but it hasn't been so bad.  I eat 1-2 servings of carbs (15 grams is 1 serving) every 2 hours.  So I eat a peice of fruit, a sugar-free pudding cup, a pack of peanut butter crackers, a granola bar, etc.  It was a little overwhelming at first but once I figured out an array of snacks that are ok, it was easier.  Then you have to eat breakfast, lunch and dinner without exception.  Those are 3-4 servings of carbs so you can still eat rice, pasta and things like that, just in small servings.  Drinks are limited to water and milk.  I test my sugar 4 times a day and things have been very good and under control.  The main risk is the baby getting very large if your sugars aren't controlled but if you follow the diet, you'll be fine.  My baby is in the 54th percentile.  Also, there is a risk of higher than normal fluid, which I have, but they monitor it and, again, if you follow the diet, you should be fine.  It has been less fun than my first pregnancy, when I didn't have it, but not the end of the world.  Sorry this is long but I hope it helps.  You'll be fine.
  • Loading the player...
  • imagedelaine0821:
    I was diagnosed about 2 months ago.  I failed the 3-hour by ONE POINT. Anyway, it did make things less fun because I have to watch what I eat, but it hasn't been so bad.  I eat 1-2 servings of carbs (15 grams is 1 serving) every 2 hours.  So I eat a peice of fruit, a sugar-free pudding cup, a pack of peanut butter crackers, a granola bar, etc.  It was a little overwhelming at first but once I figured out an array of snacks that are ok, it was easier.  Then you have to eat breakfast, lunch and dinner without exception.  Those are 3-4 servings of carbs so you can still eat rice, pasta and things like that, just in small servings.  Drinks are limited to water and milk.  I test my sugar 4 times a day and things have been very good and under control.  The main risk is the baby getting very large if your sugars aren't controlled but if you follow the diet, you'll be fine.  My baby is in the 54th percentile.  Also, there is a risk of higher than normal fluid, which I have, but they monitor it and, again, if you follow the diet, you should be fine.  It has been less fun than my first pregnancy, when I didn't have it, but not the end of the world.  Sorry this is long but I hope it helps.  You'll be fine.

This, exactly. It felt overwhelming at first, because I had to think about every little thing I eat. Now it's easy. I know trigger foods, and my numbers have been so good that I am able to only test 2x a day as opposed to the 4x I had to at the start. It's really not all that bad. Oh, and I've lost some weight, which I considered a perk, lol. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Thanks for your responses! I'm feeling a lot better now and it's probably not a bad thing if it forces me to eat better for the rest of my pregnancy. :)

• After my diagnosis, nothing changed. I have not had to alter my diet, at all. In fact, I never had to go see the nutritionist or take the GD class.  I only had to take my blood sugar for a week and since I never had a number go over where my Dr wanted me to be, I don't have to check it anymore. I occasionally do check, but still have never had any problems with my numbers.

From what I have been told by my Dr, I am the exception, not the rule. I am an endurance athlete, vegetarian, and all around health nut. I don't eat processed foods, fast food, junk food, etc. Apparently all the diagnosis meant for me was that I cannot eat a whole birthday cake to myself - something I wouldn't do anyways.

imageimageimage

September Signature Challege (May 2015 BMB):

LEAFING!

• I was diagnosed a couple of weeks ago.  Once you get into a routine it's not so bad.  They'll give you a diet plan and you'll have to test four times a day, which doesn't really hurt that much.  I'm actually eating a lot more then I did before my diagnosis and my levels have been fine.  And I still get to eat ice cream!  There's lots of helpful advice on the high risk board.  Also, it was cool getting to see our LO again via ultrasound, even got a peak of her face in 3D.  It's a little overwhelming at first, but you'll have small team of doctors making sure your baby is well taken care of.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I suggest you head on over to the high risk board where there is a lot of us GD people and a lot of useful information that not even my doctor told me. I've been diagnosed with GD since week 24 or 25 and well I get bored with the food I eat and pissed with my fasting numbers but over all I find that I am healthier and I am so happy I haven't gained any weight since the week I was diagnosed. Would also like to give you a heads up and say that sugar free Jello is my go to for a sweet food and it doesnt raise my numbers just in case you wanted something sweet. 
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I agree that the diet can seem overwhelming at first, but you'll get the hang of it in a couple of weeks. The High Risk board has a lot of GD Moms-to-be to seek advice if you ever need it :) 

At my 20 week u/s (right before I was diagnosed) the baby was measuring in the 95th percentile. At an u/s today she was down to the 73rd percentile...so it is definitely making a difference!  My GD is worse than most, and I've had to be put on insulin, but even that isn't really a big deal. Honestly, it hurts less than the finger pricks to test your blood sugar! 

Cole Joseph 7/05/07

Nora Anne 11/03/12
    9lbs, 6oz
  • Wow - thanks for the tip on the High Risk board! I'll definitely lurk/post there more often. :)

• I was diagnosed at 15 weeks, but I knew it would happen. I told my doctor that having me fast for at least 10 hours and then having me drink sugar water was going to kick back a failure, but... yeah. My blood sugars are under control, though. I've been dealing with insulin resistance problems since way before I got pregnant.

Basically, try your very best to stay away from processed sugars or anything with a lot of carbs. No white bread, no white rice, definitely NO dry breakfast cereal, no bagels. Starchy vegetables like sweet peas, white potatoes, and corn should be avoided if you can. Vegetables like spinach, squash, cucumbers, sweet potatoes, and carrots are good. Proteins like fish, eggs, and chicken are good. Beans! Beans are good, too! And they have folic acid. 

Once the baby is born, the GD should go away and you can go back to your usual diet. Just do your best and try to stick with the different diet and everything should be okay. This shouldn't impact future pregnancies, but you should be aware of your diet if you do get pregnant again, just in case the GD pops back up at that point.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"