Parenting after a Loss

Those who have had an epi..

Are you having/did you have a lot of post partum headaches??  I've had a migraine for the past 4 days that just won't seem to go away.. a friend of mine mentioned it could be from the epidural..

Also -- on occasion if I'm laying on my back, I feel some discomfort in the spot where they did the epidural.. there's no mark, but I swear it feels bruised still..

Curious about how long the headaches could last for.. ?

Loss #1: 18w5d.. D&E 04Mar03 BFP #2: Jun2011.. missed miscarriage. D&C 08Jul2011 8w4d. BFP #3: Nov2011.. Our Rainbow Baby!!! DS Born: 15Jul2012! BFP #4: Nov2012.. 2U1 - DS2 born 12Jul2013.  BFP #5: 01Jan2014..3U3!!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

My blog about raising 2U2!

Re: Those who have had an epi..

• I've had 2 epis and I didn't have any headaches from either one.  However both of them were sore for almost 2 months - only when pressed. 

Missed m/c 10/25/10 @ 11.5 weeks

• No headaches for me. 
    BFP CP 1/12/11 DD born 10/16/11
  • Loading the player...
  • I had an epi with both kids.  With DS, I had the bruised feeling you described.  Not so much with DD, but the epi was in longer with DS.

As far as headaches, I didn't have any from the epi.  I think the headache side effect comes within the first week or two.   Do you bf?  I got a lot of neck pain (which sometimes causes headaches) from looking down at my baby while nursing.  My chiropractor did wonders!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagejkfranklin:

I had an epi with both kids.  With DS, I had the bruised feeling you described.  Not so much with DD, but the epi was in longer with DS.

As far as headaches, I didn't have any from the epi.  I think the headache side effect comes within the first week or two.   Do you bf?  I got a lot of neck pain (which sometimes causes headaches) from looking down at my baby while nursing.  My chiropractor did wonders!

Nope, we're FFing.  I think it could be a combination of things.. I swear I have my period now.. had stopped spotting for like 3 or 4 days, then I had cramps, broke out, etc and started what I'm assuming is my cycle -- which, would make sense, sometimes I'd get headaches with that.. or it could be stress.. LO gives me a run for my money sometimes with all these back and forth issues with his tummy.. or my eyes.. my vision has been worsening for a while.. I'm supposed to wear glasses, but I don't (haven't ever, and was given the perscription 2 years ago.. sigh).. so, yea.. someone had just mentioned migraines could be from the epi so I figured I'd ask :)

Thanks for the input, ladies!

Loss #1: 18w5d.. D&E 04Mar03 BFP #2: Jun2011.. missed miscarriage. D&C 08Jul2011 8w4d. BFP #3: Nov2011.. Our Rainbow Baby!!! DS Born: 15Jul2012! BFP #4: Nov2012.. 2U1 - DS2 born 12Jul2013.  BFP #5: 01Jan2014..3U3!!

• imagesoftskate31:
    I would talk to your doc about spinal headaches to see if that is what it is.  If the epi site didn't heal well, you could be leaking a little spinal fluid which causes pressure changes thus headaches.  A simple procedure called a blood patch can fix the leak.  I have not had this done, but an IRL friend has.

Ahha.. so it could be from the epidural.. I'll mention it at my 6w PP appointment.. however, my 6w PP appointment isn't actually happening until I'm 8.5 weeks post partum LOL.. oops.

• Hi there, as a Special Procedures Xray Tech, I can tell you first hand about spinal headaches. You would have had one withing the first few DAYS. As another poster stated, they are caused from someone who doesn't rest and lay almost flat after the puncture. Thus the spinal fluid leaking out and causing pressure changes. Also, I have had a spinal headach requiring a blood patch. My headache happened the next day and was by far the WORST headache I ever had!! If you had a spinal headache, trust me when I say that you would know. As someone who has done the procedure and also suffered because of one. I'm not sure if I missed it, but when was your epi?
    "You and me together can do anything, baby!!" DMB
    Married October 16th, 2010
    TTC #1 since October 2010
    1st BFP 1-12-11
    MC'd 1-22-11
    2nd BFP 2-15-11
    Our Wee One....**KENNEDY JO** born 10/3/11@ 36weeks via Csection
    My BFP Chart
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Labor Buddy to **MRS.ATCH** Welcome Quinn 11-5-11**
  • Did you suffer migraines before you were pregnant?

I had horrible migraines for about 6 weeks PP. My neurologist said it is common and is caused by your hormones.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • The headache could definitely be from the epi.  It's not the experience I had, but I know it's not uncommon; not really sure how long is considered normal though.  As for feeling like you can still feel it, also normal.  I definitely felt bruised.  Also on occasion I felt a "zing" sort of sensation along my back for a week or so after.  It wasn't painful, but did feel a little weird.

Nov. 19, 2010 BFP #1--m/c Dec. 24th, 2010 First cycle after m/c on Feb. 2, 2011--March 8th, 2011 BFP #2 EDD Nov. 19, 2011. Nadia Dorothy Grace born on 11-18-11 @ 3:04pm 6lbs 14oz Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • I do but mine is not epi or pregnancy related. I have back pain from it though.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"