November 2012 Moms

What are your plans for maternity leave?

I had a meeting with my boss yesterday to discuss my maternity leave and I feel like it went really well.  I'm due 11/24 but because of my fibroids, I have a higher risk of PTL. I gave myself some buffer room to be out of work by 11/8.  I told my boss my plan is to work until I'm no longer able but I would like to continue working until at least 11/8.  Considering that, my estimated date of return to work is 2/4/13!!   AND I get to work from home some in January which will decrease the amount of vacation time I burn up.  I'm so excited!

So what are your plans?

LO #1 (2/10/05) Expecting #2 (11/24/12) Pregnancy Ticker

Re: What are your plans for maternity leave?

• I wont have maternity leave per say since I am at SAHW, but I am a full time student and I have been debating how much time I need to take off between classes.

Once I finish my Capstone it can take my next class which ends 10/22 and then take a break or try to push through to the class after that which ends 11/26. I think that class would really be cutting it since it is past my due date. Then I have to decide when I am going to return to class. As a FTM I honestly have no clue how much time I need. And with the RA and Fibro untreated I am not sure how well my recovery will go since I am already in a good deal of pain. 

How long is "normal" for FTM's? 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I'll have 8 weeks. 

I was home with DS1 for over 4 months before I even started watching other children, but this time I am teaching so I have to go back.  I am so bummed, but I know it is for the best and DS1 and DS2 will be right down the hall from me!

Oh, and I will not be taking any time off before the baby comes.  I will work up to delivery day.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • 4 weeks before and 18 weeks after! For vaginal!
    I only have 2 more months of work and then it's me and day time tv!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    JHB 1/19/09
    Baby girl due 11/22/12!
  • My plan is to work til I deliver if it's okay with my OB and to return 7-8 weeks later, but no earlier than the second week of January.  I'm a state employee, so the first week of January would just be a waste of daycare money with two holidays that week.  It'd be nice if he came before Thanksgiving because that'd be 2 "free" days off with him.  I'll have to go "off payroll" eventually because my leave will run out, then I can have short-term disability or donation of leave from other state employees (like my in-laws, who are hopefully going to give me a couple of weeks worth because 1 day of my father-in-law's leave is worth 3 to me).

Me: 32 DH: 32
    Married: 05/31/2008
    DS: 11/06/2012 at 38w 1d
    M/C: 06/11/2015
    DD: 06/14/2016 at 37w 3d
  • Just finalized that co-worker (SIL) will work full time while I am out so I don't have to train anyone.. YIPPEEEEEE

I'm due 11/12 and decided I will work until 11/1 and come back 1/7

Just State disability for me no FMLA since we a re a small private practice.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• imageWVUPetunia:

My plan is to work til I deliver if it's okay with my OB and to return 7-8 weeks later, but no earlier than the second week of January.  I'm a state employee, so the first week of January would just be a waste of daycare money with two holidays that week.  It'd be nice if he came before Thanksgiving because that'd be 2 "free" days off with him.  I'll have to go "off payroll" eventually because my leave will run out, then I can have short-term disability or donation of leave from other state employees (like my in-laws, who are hopefully going to give me a couple of weeks worth because 1 day of my father-in-law's leave is worth 3 to me).

That is pretty impressive, I did not know that you could donate leave to another person. Is that just something offered within your particular State? Either way its very cool.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • My company will let me take up to 6 months off - 12 weeks paid, the rest at 60% pay.  But that is entirely too long for me to be home with an infant!  So, I will probably take 8-10 weeks, then transition back full time over a month or so, if I need to transition at all.
  • imagepersephonerose:
    imageWVUPetunia:

My plan is to work til I deliver if it's okay with my OB and to return 7-8 weeks later, but no earlier than the second week of January.  I'm a state employee, so the first week of January would just be a waste of daycare money with two holidays that week.  It'd be nice if he came before Thanksgiving because that'd be 2 "free" days off with him.  I'll have to go "off payroll" eventually because my leave will run out, then I can have short-term disability or donation of leave from other state employees (like my in-laws, who are hopefully going to give me a couple of weeks worth because 1 day of my father-in-law's leave is worth 3 to me).

That is pretty impressive, I did not know that you could donate leave to another person. Is that just something offered within your particular State? Either way its very cool.

I haven't worked for any other state's agencies, so I'm not sure.  It is VERY nice though, especially since I am giving birth at the end of the year, and some people who've been around forever will need to get rid of some leave to keep from losing it or being penalized on OT the following year (I'm a little fuzzy on how all of that works, but whatever).  But, it's based on salary per day, so like I mentioned, my father-in-law's 1 day donation will give me 3 because he makes about triple what I do, lol. Big Smile

Me: 32 DH: 32
    Married: 05/31/2008
    DS: 11/06/2012 at 38w 1d
    M/C: 06/11/2015
    DD: 06/14/2016 at 37w 3d
  • I plan/hope to work right up until baby comes and then take off 8-9 weeks which puts me coming back as of the 1st of the year or the week after.  Then DH will take a week and MIL and my Mom will come for a week to get us to the time when Day care is available.
    BabyFruit Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • After reading the responses I feel like you could classify me as insane :) I'm working up until or a couple days before im due (11/17) and going back about 4 weeks later.

• I'm hoping to work up to delivery (or as close as I can make it). I get 8 paid weeks off, and if we can swing it I'm going to try to take the rest of the school year off until June. If our finances can handle it, that's the plan. The district-based daycare, which apparently is awesome and dirt cheap, was already over-full when I called at 12 weeks. Any other daycare around here would pretty much equal my paycheck, so I figure I might as well just stay home if possible.
    image"">image"">imageimage

• Due Nov 5th. Likely working until Oct 20th or so. Then I have a year off (if I want it). Considering taking only 9 months tho.
  • taking 2 weeks off before, and probably 7 weeks after.  Will go back the beginning of the year.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I'm meeting with my boss and the HR manager in early September to hash this all out in writing. My tentative plan is to work until I go into labor (due 11/4). I'd like to ask to work from home in late October, depending on how uncomfortable I am. I suspect my boss will be cool with it; he's great. 

Then I'll be out full time November 1ish through January 1ish. Then I'll come back 20 hours a week for January and February, before coming back full time on March 1. I work for an organization which offers FMLA, unpaid though. I'll burn all of my sick time while I'm out :-/

"Oh for sh!ts sake."- my 84 year old grandma. Pregnancy Ticker
  • Not really sure, I'll be in school and my job is kind of iffy right now, so I'm just hoping I have a job to come back to. They are making me take off the whole month of December. It will be nice, but we are on a really tight budget so it will be a challenge.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • One year off!  My plan is to stop working at 37 weeks.  That seemed ideal with DD and I'm going with that again. 

I get 55% pay but they take your best so many weeks so last time it worked out to be more like 80% of my usual take home.  With the money I'll be saving on daycare it should work out to be the same as I take home now.

DD1 9.15.10  DD2 11.2.12
  • 8 weeks, I'm teaching so not much room.....I'll work till 11/16 thanksgiving break deliver 11/20 and return 1/21/2013.....DD and DS will be in a good place so it will be ok.....thank goodness school is out in May this year not June!!!! 
  • I'm a Canadian so I get a year off. after that I'm only going to work a few days a week to stay home itch my LO and I'll work opposite of DH so we are always around. 
  • I have a dilemma... I am due Thanksgiving :)  (11/22) and I told my boss I would work up til the day before, that way if I deliver before or on the due date she has  coverage for the holiday.  Now, my problem... I get 12 weeks which puts me coming back 02/14 (Valentines Day), my  DH family vacation is Feb 16th-Feb23rd in Florida (Disney).......

side note **I'm not extremely excited about taking a 3 month old but his family re-arranged the housing arrangements from on the disney grounds to a 8 bedroom house 2 miles off Disney....  and there is 15 of us going, I lost that  argument and we are going now. **

ANYWAY, -sorry, i go off subject a lot... this is my first child, anyone think my doctor would cut me some slack and say I need to be out until the  begining of March? (that would put me at 15 weeks... EEKK!!!)  

I know FMLA covers  12 weeks but what happens after that?    THANK YOU LADIES

• I'm working right up until delivery (and even a little after -- my largest client is actually the hospital I'm delivering at, so I've told my contact she can come keep me company!!).  Hopefully that will put me right around Thanksgiving week.  December is my slow time, so I will be taking off through the first week of January and coming back.  Then SO will take off four weeks, which will carry us through to 10 weeks when DC will take him.
  • I can take up to 12 weeks. 6 weeks is paid. I plan to work until the baby comes and my due date is Thanksgiving Day. I am saving 1 week of vacation time to cover the first week of leave which isn't covered and I may take another week of vacation time in January when my time starts over just so I can get paid for another week. I'm not sure if I will take the full 12 weeks or not. It just depends how things go and if we are broke by then. :)

• Working right up until delivery (if I can-- some of which can be from home), then taking at least 2 months off.  After that I can take another month off if i want and/or come back part-time while working from home.

Still not sure if the time off is paid or not-- need to call HR and go through my options.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"